Super Mario World

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

excalibur1814

Super Mario World

Post by excalibur1814 »

For some reason I decided to do something a bit odd tonight, with that odd thing being a download of a Super Nintendo emulator and a play on Super Mario World. Just downloaded a map... see you all in three weeks :lol:

What a game. Fullscreen, '800x600' (Cor, HD 480p! Ish), standard MS Sidewinder joypad, amazing.

Ohh the classics!
JohnnyC

Re: Super Mario World

Post by JohnnyC »

I'm waiting for Yoshi's Island to appear on the Wii Virtual Console.
The SNES one, not that monstrosity that is the N64 version.
excalibur1814

Woo

Post by excalibur1814 »

I remember playing a Yoshi game on the SNes? Long time ago now so I'd better have a look at Yoshi's Island.

I remember seeing the N64 version... yuck, so very yuck!

So... can you play Super Mario World on the Wii? :idea:
JohnnyC

Re: Woo

Post by JohnnyC »

excalibur1814 wrote:So... can you play Super Mario World on the Wii? :idea:

Yep, it's available.
Only reason I haven't bought it as I got it for both SNES (gone years ago) and GBA. So I ain't paying for it a third time :roll:
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44mRM4kylSE

Oh yeah, that's the one! Whoever's playing, they're good.
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Super Mario World rocks. Still looks great today. Like a moving cartoon! Awesome level design. I still play it!
andyc1988

Post by andyc1988 »

when me and my mate dug it out a few years back for some retro action we found various levels that we have never even seen before as kids! the star worlds and the out of space area for instance! :shock: awesoeme game
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'll never forget how excited I was when Super Mario Bros 3 was ready to come out for the NES.

Loved it when it did. And tbh, I thought Super Mario World on the Snes was xxxx compared to it. Played it on a mates SNES and never bothered to get it.

Would never play SMB 3 again though, I think it would spoil the memories of it all. Any one remember the film The Wizard? I think that may have heightened the anticipation of it.

matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_(film)

Dont care if it got bad reviews, as a kid it was one of the best films ever!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I didn't have any consoles when I was a kid but had a gameboy... last year I downloaded a gameboy emulator for my xbox and (I think) about 5000 games. Awesome times!

It was exaggerated somewhat by having my xbox attached to a projector on a ~86" screen... playing GB tetris when each square that the blocks are made up of is the size of your head is awesome. And the music!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

SMB3 was gash compared with SMW :thumleft:

Just having the flight ability far more sorted in SMW than it's predecessor gave the world far more options on a design front, and it was all the better for it. I actually feel that SM64 was a step back in terms of platform level design.
pcp

Post by pcp »

ekona wrote:SMB3 was gash compared with SMW :thumleft:

Just having the flight ability far more sorted in SMW than it's predecessor gave the world far more options on a design front, and it was all the better for it. I actually feel that SM64 was a step back in terms of platform level design.

I know what you're saying, i had SM64 and thought it was amazing at the time, bought it with my GBA and was quite dissapointed, levels are too small and altho 3d seem too linear, even compared to the 2d scroll left to right format of the rest of them. New Super Mario Bros on the DS is totally superb :clap:

Mario galaxy on the wii peed me off initially as it's a similar format to SM64, as soon as the levels become more interesting tho you soon forget. Mario has to be the best gaming character created :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I just didnt like SMW. Perhaps I was that little bit older and had grown out of kiddy games by then, who knows.

Although I did like Sonic on the Megadrive :thumleft:
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

matt_mr2t wrote:I just didnt like SMW. Perhaps I was that little bit older and had grown out of kiddy games by then, who knows.

Although I did like Sonic on the Megadrive :thumleft:

smw was the best out of all of them, the graphics were so nice (yes i no it was only 2d)
the flying was ace and using the different colour yoshi was so much fun lol
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Yeah the graphics were better, but that's not what made it for me.

I just think that all SMW was, was SMB 3 with prettier graphics. The big leaps were made between SMB 1-3

But like I say, if I ever went back and played SMB 3 it would probably kill the memories completely. Same as MK which I DL'ed onto the PS3. I used to play that for hours and hours as a kid, I turned it off after about 3 attempts at a fight now.

And pretty much every other arcade game I've downloaded on to the 360

SFII and Streets Of Rage being 2 of the worst offenders.
excalibur1814

Nie

Post by excalibur1814 »

..It's the echo type sound when you go into a cave that brings it back for me, plus the music, albeit simple, still brings a smile.

There's something to be said for 2d games! Then again, Doom in 2d might not be that great.

I imported a Famicom system thinking that I would gain speed 'but' it had been converted to Pal. Waste of time. Doh #-o

Some of the levels on SMW are frustrating, so I remember, but I have a map and will be playing EACH level, completing the standard way and the hidden way. Must complete the darn game.

SM3 was a fantastic game. COuldn't you complete the game in three/four levels using hidden bits??? Cor..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTNpC6lYYrs
nakamura

Re: Nie

Post by nakamura »

excalibur1814 wrote:..It's the echo type sound when you go into a cave that brings it back for me, plus the music, albeit simple, still brings a smile.

I loved the touch when it added drums when you got on Yoshi!
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

...On level 20 so far and am trying to complete all the standard map levels before I venture into the specials like the Star World.

Damn good fun. Might try F-Zero next and then have a go at the Yoshi game.

Not sure what else after that? (I did like and complete the Contra game)

Castlevania worthwhile?
JohnnyC

Re: Nice

Post by JohnnyC »

excalibur1814 wrote:Damn good fun. Might try F-Zero next

Another game that was classic on the SNES, but gash on the N64.
Same went for SNES Mario Kart vs Mario Kart 64 :roll:

Castlevania was okay on the SNES, bit dated now though, hasn't aged as well as SMW.
excalibur1814

Yikes

Post by excalibur1814 »

..Just watching a video of Castevania.. Yikes, it's horrible and reminds me of a poor Amifa game. Just watching Metroid now.

Will certainly get F-Zero and Mario Kart.

Return to “Games Consoles”