[Mk2] [Generic] Cubby Box Lighting Project - now two-coloured ...

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

inky

[Mk2] [Generic] Cubby Box Lighting Project - now two-coloured ...

Post by inky »

Hi

Since I did my glovebox light mod the other month, I've been thinking of doing my cubby box. My PS2 ports are installed in it though, so taking it all out is a pain and I hadn't bothered doing it ...

.. until today :lol:

BLZ-8027 offered his car as a donor so I took a little trip over to see what could be done.

We started with the standard box ... all nice enough but always dark inside.

Using a strip of LED's from Maplins (£5) and some basic wire (£2) we stripped the box down. The LEDs could only be cut into pieces of 3, or the circuitry went funny.

After drilling some teeny tiny holes I soldered the wire to the ends of the strips and stuck them in place. This strip points a beam downwards, another (unseen) on the bottom inside lip points inward/upwards.

The top lid comes apart so I fed the wire through, stuck the LEDs down and tested the connection. Working so far!

This is the top storage lower part, hole at the bottom middle is where the wire had to feed through to be invisible when in place.
After testing all the wiring ...

... I put it all back together and we installed it back in the car.

Not so hot in the broad daylight but in the dark looks quite impressive. You can't see where the light is coming from and there's a nice glow all round.

I had to leave due to dog-walking duty :roll: and Trevor finished sourcing the power feed for it.

Not bad, only cost £7 and a couple of hours :thumleft:

There were more pictures taken, but some weren't too good, if I do mine (in red LEDs obviously) I'll do a more detailed photo session.
Last edited by inky on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fearless

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Cubby Box Lighting Project - now two-coloured ...

Post by fearless »

looks very good i like it very suttle just enough light to see where everything is :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
inky

Post by inky »

Yep Trevor's gone the blue route for his lighting, I prefer the red as it shows a bit more, mind you when I was in Maplins there were some very nice green ... got me thinking hmmmm ....

I shouldn't be allowed in electronics shops when I have money #-o
jim55

Post by jim55 »

inky-do you have any pics of ur glove-box lighting ?id like to do this as well 8)
inky

Post by inky »

There's another thread but its basically just an "After" picture.

Same method - get a strip of LEDs from Maplins (I got white for the glovebox) and wire it to a live like the door courtesy light, so when you open the door the LEDs light up. Or find a tiny pin-switch to put in the loom and fit it to the glovebox door.

fearless

Post by fearless »

i love maplins mind you ebay is fantasic for bulbs and l.e.d's im going to put l.e.d's in my footwells did have them in my reflectors but wasnt impressed not that bright to be honest , so going to use them for footwells now instead just had to order 2 more bulbs though as one wasnt bright enough but 2 just the job, have to wait for my next 4 days off :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

My next mod is to fit another battery in the boot :whistle:

Didn't get chance to take any more pictures Geoff as my battery was flat,
but thanks you did a good job :thumleft:
inky

Post by inky »

BLZ-8027 wrote:My next mod is to fit another battery in the boot :whistle:

:lol:

BLZ-8027 wrote:Didn't get chance to take any more pictures Geoff as my battery was flat,
but thanks you did a good job :thumleft:

No worries mate, was a nice little project and the results were pretty good. Not a bad bit of work :thumleft:
fearless

Post by fearless »

another battery is that to power all these added lights or looking to install some big ice trev :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Cj82

Post by Cj82 »

Trev i have a split charge kit somewhere for fitting a second battery if you want it?
inky

Post by inky »

I think he was kidding - for some reason the glovebox was lighting but the cubby box wasn't.

Turned out there just wasn't enough charge to run both, funny you'd think that LEDs would have at least some glow to them if you gave them a bit of power, but these ones were totally dark.

Unless he really is planning on that big ICE install ... :shock:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
craig

Post by craig »

Kudos for the effort, I have done my heater control backlights blue and the Heater button LEDs red but that's as far as I go.

Ignition, ciggy lighter not lit.
Window controls not lit except AUTO in stock LED form. (Rev 3) And I never look at them.

Cubby box and glove box, Couldn't be chewed with that. Never bothered me about lighting in there :lol:

You're just both LED whores :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
inky

Post by inky »

You say that like it's a bad thing :eye:

The glovebox irritated me enough to want a light in there, and it was so easy and cheap to do. The cubby box took longer but was worth the effort.

The thing is, I keep things in mine like sat-nav leads, phone-charge leads, bits and pieces and god knows what, when I'm pulled over and fumbling in there I could come out with anything, it's like a lucky dip at a jumble sale, this was the reasoning behind lighting it up.

Trevor donated me a driver's door control cluster, as I replaced mine with a Rev 3 (Auto only LED installed) due to the clip being broken and it always popping out. So maybe have a go at that this weekend. Hope I keep my temper this time (looks at dented car with regret ...)

LEDs last longer too :thumleft:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

RedMR² wrote:
You're just both LED whores :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Found me a number plate :clap:

N8 LED for sale - reasonable offers seriously considered. Plate held on retention.
fearless

Post by fearless »

i thought when you said found yourself a numberplate i thought you were going to have l.e.d's on the plate suround, years ago everybody had neon numberplate surounds looked very cool bit dated i think now, i always wanted one around the same time under car neons were very popular thay went well together, must admit i do like lights a bit of a fetish of mine i think :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
inky

Post by inky »

Update ...

Since I did Trevor's cubby box I kept putting mine off, as I do like the red LED glow it isn't always beneficial to actually seeing what you want, everything's red so it can get a bit in your face. I was stuck between wanting red for show, or white for functionality.

So now I have both ... with two sets of LEDs, and a 3-position switch, I can have them either red, white or off. The power is linked to the ashtray light loom, so only functions when the lights are on - which is just logical, because if your lights aren't on then it's probably light enough in the day to see in the cubby box unaided :thumleft:

Did a quick clip off my phone, forgot I reset the damn thing last week so the settings aren't very good quality, but you get the idea.

fearless

Post by fearless »

i like that very good job matey :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
inky

Post by inky »

I should start up a little sideline doing this for cash :idea:

Return to “Modifications”