[Mk2] [Turbo] Good clutch

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2nut123

[Mk2] [Turbo] Good clutch

Post by mr2nut123 »

Was told that the Helix stage 2 is a good clutch but i'm looking for 350+ bhp next year and it only seems to be rated for 270ish hp on fensports site.

Anyone got any other clutches they can recommend?
mr2nut123

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Good clutch

Post by mr2nut123 »

Seen this beauty. Takes more torque and is cheaper than the helix. Looks decent enough..

http://www.roguemotorsport.co.uk/forms/ ... spx?ID=483

Anyone here with circa 400bhp with one of these?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

bump
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

And again
JJ

Post by JJ »

OS Giken Twin Plate ! :thumleft: Not cheap though !

I've got a Helix 6 paddle / uprated cover thats only done 500 miles thats no longer required !! Wouldnt hold the torque on mine between gear changes... :( Wasn't cheap either !!

I ran with a Helix 4 paddle for years and never slipped till TOTB with a 75 shot of nitrous ! :oops:
JJ

Post by JJ »

Just an important additional note on uprated covers....

Need to be careful in your selection as it is quite common that if the cover is too strong ( clutch manufactures will deny liability ) this will load up the thrust bearings on the engine - this is the laterial forces on the crank ( especially cold starts with the clutch in - you're pushing against the cover) this can prematurely wear or damage the thrust bearings and thus causing engine failure or over time, create some crank float.

I've built / seen a Supra engine fail on thrusts bearings 4 times and blamed it on all sorts before pointing the finger at the clutch cover not being engine friendly - Great bite on the friction plates..... but short lived engine and a whole lot of unecessary labour !!
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

JJ wrote:Just an important additional note on uprated covers....

Need to be careful in your selection as it is quite common that if the cover is too strong ( clutch manufactures will deny liability ) this will load up the thrust bearings on the engine - this is the laterial forces on the crank ( especially cold starts with the clutch in - you're pushing against the cover) this can prematurely wear or damage the thrust bearings and thus causing engine failure or over time, create some crank float.

I've built / seen a Supra engine fail on thrusts bearings 4 times and blamed it on all sorts before pointing the finger at the clutch cover not being engine friendly - Great bite on the friction plates..... but short lived engine and a whole lot of unecessary labour !!

I'll pretend to understand all of that, nodding and agreeing :lol:

Cheers for the heads up though. So would that clutch you have spare cover 350bhp easily or is your current power around the mark i'm aiming for anyway?

Would the RPS one that can take 399fp torque be a good choice for my goal?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Had an Exedy on my old 200sx, was really good.
JJ

Post by JJ »

So would that clutch you have spare cover 350bhp easily or is your current power around the mark i'm aiming for anyway?

The one I have / had was the Helix / Fensport stage 3.... £500 !! 350 bhp wasn't an issue ... 500+ bhp was still holding but the clamping force between gearchanges on boost was slipping into gear instead of stepping the rear axel out. :mrgreen: Never broke friction when the turbo came on song.

Again... I've been using Helix's for years and friends use them too. A durable and effective clutch ! :mrgreen:

Would the RPS one that can take 399fp torque

Its the RPS clutch that hours were spent rebuilding engines !! :shock: I'm not going to not recommend them, just be advised on the high clamping covers...

I'll pretend to understand all of that, nodding and agreeing

:mrgreen: Laymans... When you stick your clutch pedal in... you're effectively pushing the crank sideways. The thrust bearings hold it central to the block. The heavier the clutch pedal is to push in ( uprated cover ).. the more load you're pushing against the crank / thrust bearings. Thrust bearings are only soft !

Like pushing your misses out of bed, the harder the push, the more likely its going to cost you !! :mrgreen:

Just another tip on the onlookers... try and start your car without dipping your clutch.. this way, the thrust bearings lube up first heavily with oil ( reducing premature wear on the thrusts ) This is the clutch by the way and not the misses ! :cyclops:
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

os gilken twin , good clutch but they rattle like f--k , good at the lights though , posers think that you`re driving a pile of sh-t . :mrgreen:
513BHP at the hubs
JJ

Post by JJ »

Tasty wrote:os gilken twin , good clutch but they rattle like f--k , good at the lights though , posers think that you`re driving a pile of sh-t . :mrgreen:

Mine doesn't rattle :^o And poser still think I'm driving a sack of 5hit ! :mrgreen:
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

Ha ha ha nice one JJ :clap: :clap: :clap:
513BHP at the hubs
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Tasty wrote:os gilken twin , good clutch but they rattle like f--k , good at the lights though , posers think that you`re driving a pile of sh-t . :mrgreen:

My Os giken Twin rattles.. i like the noise, reminds me its still in there! lol.. however it doesn't rattle a tenth as much as the twin plate in my ERF truck!! :twisted:
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

http://www.carbonetic.net/

I had no idea which clutch to go for, and bought this off steve on here,
Rattles alot :evil: :thumleft: , not too heavy but a great piece of kit =P~
Expensive but as a clutch flywheel kit, its gets full marks from me :thumleft:
Last edited by Munnsy on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

If it only rattles a little Munnsy it `aint no good lol [-X
513BHP at the hubs
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

LOL
Edited :thumleft: :evil:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Nice to see some good feedback on the OS Giken Twin plate as I will be dropping my car off at Sbits Friday afternoon to get mine fitted \:D/

Just to add one other option to the list - my SPEC Stage 2 clutch has performed pretty well although I was worried initially about buying it due to reading SPEC clutches could be a bit hit and miss with regard to reliability (some say it is due to improper installation).

It held very nicely on my TD06 up to about 18.3PSI at which point the car was putting down 327WHP & 286ft.lbs wtq. at the dyno. It started slipping when I tried remapping the car (for cams) to 19PSI however so I would guess the clutch's limit was around what it dynoed at earlier.

Having said that I got a very decent 27K miles out of it before it started to slip. The clutch pedal is nice and light and the engagement is smooth so it's an ideal daily drive clutch in my opinion. I got mine from GTSChris who I think stocks them :thumleft:
JJ

Post by JJ »

some say it is due to improper installation

I have a gripe with this comment from manufacturers... I put it to them, how can you fit a clutch wrongly ??!! Plate only goes one way, cover only bolts up, bearing only fits one way... stick it all together... and make sure the pedals half way......

I've seen the friction plate shear in 2, friction plate perish, friction plate mounting / damper spring casing come apart - all causing discomfort in removing the box and changing it !

SPEC's clutches... clutches in general.. if your car is producing X amount of torque... dont go buying a clutch that is limited to that spec... go for something usually in the region of 30% more calmping force - and dont get your units mixed up... people speed reading at Newtons / Lbs.

:thumleft:
Turbolad

Post by Turbolad »

I've got that rps 6 puck on mine, had it getting on for 2 yrs, since then power has gone from 300 - 340 - 400 now with 340 lb/ft and o far so good with the clutch
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Turbolad wrote:I've got that rps 6 puck on mine, had it getting on for 2 yrs, since then power has gone from 300 - 340 - 400 now with 340 lb/ft and o far so good with the clutch

Mixed stories. Some say it will cause an engine rebuild, some say it works fine for 2 years + etc. So confusing..

Return to “Mechanical”