[Mk2] [Turbo] my turbo 300bhp?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattymr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] my turbo 300bhp?

Post by mattymr2 »

i have had a long term dispute with a friend of mine that mr2 turbo's cannot make 300bhp through simple bolt on modifications. he drives a 300zx and gets the ar$e whenever i say my rev 3 turbo should be puttin out 300bhp running 1.2 bar of boost. ive got all the supporting mods aswell.

till ive got a dyno to prove it, he just wont accept this is what mr2 turbos out there with these mods make. basically i need proof off you guys that these cars can make this power fairly comfortably with these mods untill i get mine on a dyno.

any one with similar mods got dyno printouts etc?
mattcambs

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] my turbo 300bhp?

Post by mattcambs »

You'll get around 299bhp I reckon. :wink:
A few cars get 300+, but most seem to be around the 280 mark with bolt ons.

Basically it all depends on what happens to the fuelling above 5000rpm. If everything is healthy and stock, the ECU will run things very rich, limiting power. My theory is that cars running 300 and over with bolt on mods are running leaner than they should compared to the AFRs most people seem to get when pushing 1.2bar.

Worth getting a RR just to check your fuelling is ok :thumleft:
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

All bolt on mods on mine.

Reece :thumleft:
Running: 313.8BHP @ fly and 285lb torque on 1.15bar.
MY MR2 FOR SALE: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109986
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Pay £50 to have a power run on a dyno. Then if you make over 300bhp you can bet him that you're right top cover costs, if not, you can stop argueing about it.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

I think it making over 300 fly bhp has more to do with the dyno than the car sometimes; mine was well below 300 with all bolt on modifications at 1.2bar on surrey rolling road, yet my qtr miles times at santa pod were considerably faster than some people claiming over 310bhp with similar modifications.
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

thanks for the responses guys.

anyone know the best/cheapest place local to me for a max power dyno run?

£50 sounds good cantfindusername, wheres that?
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

yeah youl make 300 i should think, valid point though about guys making over 300 are running leaner, i made 302 @ the fly and i was running lean very low down in the revs but rich up top :-k so now going standalone and uprated fuel pump to get rid of this.
Good luck though, all things are crossed for you :-s :-s :thumleft:
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

mattymr2 wrote:thanks for the responses guys.

anyone know the best/cheapest place local to me for a max power dyno run?

£50 sounds good cantfindusername, wheres that?

If yo do find a place thats local let me know as i'm dying to get a dyno run to see what my cars putting out. It's quite similar spec to yours but no exhaust mods so i reckon it'd be 20-30 bhp down over yours. I'm hoping for about 260 @ fly. There is a place called Weston perfomance in Solihull by where i live but i think they charge around £80 for a run. I guess like me ideally you would want a couple of runs so you could play with your ebc settings. Alternatively you could wait until the club rolling road day in April.

On a seperate note, do you go to any local meets etc as i'd like to meet up with another tubby owner to see the difference between the cars (not a race just a passenger ride). I think my turbo is spooling up later in the rev range (full boost past 4K rpm) due to the ebc not set right and i'd like to see another car for comparison.
Moo

Post by Moo »

All bolt on mods on mine, measured on a hub dyno made 288 at the hubs which is a good way over 300 at the flywheel.

As Matt has already mentioned, a big part of it is fuelling. Check my AFR, it's quite lean compared to most of the curves you would see that make less power with the same mods and running the same boost.

mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Hey, Paul :D
You've been quiet on here of late. About time we got together for a drive 8) Although this time of year just puts the dampners on things MR2 related!

Back on topic: I think the guy with the 300ZX is wrong. Rev3 onward Turbos are definitely capable of around 300bhp with bolt on mods and there's plenty of proof on the owners forums to back it up. Yours may, or may not be making 300bhp, but with your mods it'll be close.

What I want to know is whether this guy thinks you can make 290 with bolt-ons? Is that power figure good enough for him??? :lol:

Either way, unless he has modded his ZX to over 350bhp, you'll completely d1ck him at the pod 8)
Moo

Post by Moo »

Hey Matt :D

Yeah, not been about much just lately. Me and Sam are off to Bulgaria tomorrow for a weeks snowboarding, hopefully we'll take some of this snow with us :lol: Will get in touch when we get back and sort out a meet :thumleft:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Lucky gits :lol:
Have a good time. Catch up with you in a week :D

Return to “Modifications”