Caribbean Blue

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dannyh

Caribbean Blue

Post by dannyh »

Hi all,

sorry for the noob post, but can anyone point me in the right direction to get some caribbean blue paint? ](*,)

i've read loads of articles on the internet saying how hard it is to get this paint, and i've also experienced it today after getting some paint mixed up, only for it to be the wrong colour (Strong blue) and bodyshops won't help [-(

So, is there light at the end of the tunnel, or am i screwed #-o

cheers,
Daniel
raptor95GTS

Re: Caribbean Blue

Post by raptor95GTS »

I've had mine matched twice and they didn't report having any more issues than other colours. It doesn't help you find the stuff but it can be matched
dannyh

Post by dannyh »

allan welsh wrote:I've had mine matched twice and they didn't report having any more issues than other colours. It doesn't help you find the stuff but it can be matched

Ah i forgot to add, gladwins bodyshop here doesn't want to know. the response i got when i asked was "we don't paint spoilers" ](*,) can't think of anyone else who could match it up :-k but i have asked someone i know who works for toyota whether i can buy the paint from them (or at least give me the paint measures)

thanks for your fast reply :D
RST

Post by RST »

dannyh,

The only advice I can give you is that for each paint code there's a few variations. If you go to a factors and ask for xxx -they might just give you the std code. There may be variants lke "light", "dark", "grey", "blue" listed for that code as well (for example) -so you really need to get a match on paint chips to find the right shade of that colour, or use an analyser. Not saying it's like that for all colours but it can be. My local Halfords can only do one mix for example based on the code the have for that colour or vice versa -they can't do a match so depending on the year (and of course any weathering etc) -they can't come close.

.....Lol, my local T can't even tell me the colour. They can only supply me a tin based on my VIN. Think they wanted £75+vat for 500ml tin :shock: Money up front -no refund.

You're going to need to shop around -most colours can be matched -whether they match the OEM colour code or not!
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

I had some damage on mine sprayed by Gary Chappell at Chappell Coachworks near Brands Hatch a couple of months ago and he got the match absolutely bang on. I have no idea how he did it, but it may be worth getting in touch.
flackie666

Post by flackie666 »

good to here chappell mentioned again colour matching is one of the hardest parts of the job and as said each paint code has diffrent varirents so its just getting it matched
Not So Fast But Just As Furious =]
blaster1

Post by blaster1 »

good bodyshop hould be able to get it spot on tho i have a caribean blue and they matched it perfect depending on garage if anyoe wants to know any in telford message me
Deegee99

Post by Deegee99 »

Prior to my heart attack I worked for Norwich Union in one of their repair centres. All paint colours can be matched providing they are on the data base if the paint guys use computerised paint mixing, which to be honest they all do nowadays. Most large paint/body shops have a large selection of colour chips, I know for a fact we had all Toyota colour chips, including Caribbean Blue. Sounds to me like they just don't want your business mate. :(
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

Dont forget about natural weathering of the paint colour. You may get the right code and order the paint but may look different if you apply it yourself.

You wont beat getting it matched perfectly like a professional.
Running: 313.8BHP @ fly and 285lb torque on 1.15bar.
MY MR2 FOR SALE: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109986
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Caribbean_Blue wrote:Dont forget about natural weathering of the paint colour.

Very true - the only part on mine that wasn't sprayed was a replacement rubbing strip that comes from Toyota already painted with their 8B6 code paint. Guess what - it's a slightly different shade to the rest of the paint which is 15 years old.
dannyh

Post by dannyh »

Thanks for all your replies guys, fortunatley enough the paint hasn't faded at all (seriously) when i removed the original rev3 spoiler where it was mounted was the exact same shade as the car :+: plus i found a near as damit match "Citroen Posiedon Blue" here's the pics of the spoiler painted now;

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”