MR2 fluid changes

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

omracing

MR2 fluid changes

Post by omracing »

Thought I'd asked how many litres is it to complete the following changes -

Brake fluid change
Coolant flush and change
Engine oil change
Gearbox oil change
Red MR2 Mk1a - Rose SOLD
Blue MR2 SC conversion 180 bhp - Lightning
System-G

Re: MR2 fluid changes

Post by System-G »

Brake fluid change 1ltr is usually OK, but if you want a decent flush 1.5 - 2 ltrs

Coolant flush and change - 10ltrs, but I tend to flush with water/coolant system flush stuff then water again. It's virtually impossible to drain absolutely everything. I also run the car on water for a week or two before draining and then filling with Toyota For Life. Just incase the flush disturbed gunge which leads to a leak or similar.

Engine oil change - 3.5ltrs

Gearbox oil change - IIRC 3 or 4 ltrs (it's been a few years since the last one. I may have got 5ltrs in, but only used 4.... can't fully remember though 8-[ )
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

System-G wrote:Brake fluid change 1ltr is usually OK, but if you want a decent flush 1.5 - 2 ltrs

Coolant flush and change - 10ltrs, but I tend to flush with water/coolant system flush stuff then water again. It's virtually impossible to drain absolutely everything. I also run the car on water for a week or two before draining and then filling with Toyota For Life. Just incase the flush disturbed gunge which leads to a leak or similar.

Engine oil change - 3.5ltrs

Gearbox oil change - IIRC 3 or 4 ltrs (it's been a few years since the last one. I may have got 5ltrs in, but only used 4.... can't fully remember though 8-[ )

You can do brakle fluid on 500ml if your very very carefull 1L is plenty.

oil (as per garrick said)

For some reason the haynes says 2.5quarts for gearbox oil :-k

I know the SC box takes a lot more
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

cartledge_uk wrote:You can do brakle fluid on 500ml if your very very carefull 1L is plenty.

Yup - I filled my brake system from empty with a 1L bottle that still had some left over (can't remember how much though).
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

monkeymax wrote:
cartledge_uk wrote:You can do brakle fluid on 500ml if your very very carefull 1L is plenty.

Yup - I filled my brake system from empty with a 1L bottle that still had some left over (can't remember how much though).

LOL - Garrick likes getting carried away with flushing, but i'm sure we have done it with 1 litre before :-k
Not those small bottles but one of the larger ones
System-G

Post by System-G »

I do get carried away sometime :lol:

But I have never managed to do a full flush on less than about 800ml. I have used more than 1ltr before too where I just couldn't get rid of spongeyness in the pedal.
So now I make sure I have at least 1.5 ltrs at hand before starting.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I havent changed my gearbox oil change in 42k, as I was considering doing all the fluid changes in a few weeks. I really struggled doing the oil in my mk1a, what is the easiest way to do it? (gearbox oil that is)

Cheers
System-G

Post by System-G »

Open the filler bolt first. many are stuck propper so if you can't loosen it, don't drain. If you can loosen the filler, then loosen the drain and drain the oil. Avoid getting on you as it stinks like nothing else on earth!
Once it's all drained out refit the drain plug/bolt and get some garden hose or other hose the corect diameter and fit it to a funel. Add oil. I let it spill out the fill hole to know it's full.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

System-G wrote:

It's more like 2.8 litres IIRC for the gearbox oil.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
System-G

Post by System-G »

Yerp. I'm thinking of our SC. I've never done gearbox oil on the N/A.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”