F.A.O: Philz regarding RE8

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gtech

F.A.O: Philz regarding RE8

Post by gtech »

Philz,

Once again I've pinched your ideas :-) and gone for the RE8 which arrived this morning from Car Audio Direct.

Do you have any pics of yours, as this one has NO markings, label or anything on it to say that its an RE8.

Also, the big magnet type thing on the back is chrome with a hole in the center, there is a piece of sticky tape over this hole, do you remove this as again no information came with the sub.

Cheers

Graeme
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
philz

Re: F.A.O: Philz regarding RE8

Post by philz »

I think mine will be different to yours as mine is the rev1 version and I think yours will be the rev2 version (is it dual 4ohm coils?)

If you got it from CAD then you can be sure it'll be the real deal, they're a reputable company so no need to worry.

I don't have any other pics other than the ones on my site (www.mr2-turbo.co.uk). I do however still have the subs in the garage (they're sold, but Edz just hasn't picked them up yet) so if you were really worried I could go out and take some pics for you.

I dunno about your sticky tape though, got any pics?
gtech

Post by gtech »

Hi Philz,

Once again pinched your setup, got the RE8 in (Rev 2), got some tidying up to do on the sub box but so far sound is excellent, its a bit rattley when you turn it up a bit, but I'm hoping that will iron itself out as it loosens up.

I think they recommend 30 mins at a moderate volume?? so will give it a week or so and if the rattle still persists then its tel call to CAD.

Graeme
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
philz

Post by philz »

Is the speaker itself rattling? It certainly shouldn't be doing that, even if it's brand new.
gtech

Post by gtech »

More like a buzz when you put any moderate volume on, if its low then its okay but as soon as you try and up it then you get this buzz/rattle type noise.

Have emailed CAD to see what they have to say.
philz

Post by philz »

I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that, it's not something vibrating inside the box is it?

How have you got it wired up? They're dual voice coils the Rev2 ones aren't they?
gtech

Post by gtech »

Yep they are dual, I have it wired up as per normal..the only way I know :-)

There are two sets of connectors on the sub, only have one side connected.???
philz

Post by philz »

Graeme, have a look at this site as it may explain the wiring better than I can.

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html

If you've got 2 x 4ohm voice coils you can either wire it up in series which will give an 8ohm load or you can wire the coils in parallel to show a 2ohm load (make sure your amp will handle 2 ohms bridged first though).
gtech

Post by gtech »

Interesting that, wondered why there were 2 sets of terminals :-) the amp that looks after the sub is a Pro Plus V400 360watt, just trying to find some specs on it so I can rewire the sub one way or another.

What difference will it make (audio) wired up in series or parallel???

Graeme
gtech

Post by gtech »

Well Phil, after many hours of researching DVC and their performance, etc etc.

Decided that according to that link you sent me, the RE8 V2 is a 4Ohm sub, so wired the coils in parallel to give me 2 Ohm, hooked them back up, tweaked the amp and power on.....Bloody hell what a difference, lot more punch at lower sound levels.

The RE8 was superb before, now it rocks the car.......shall have to watch the eyes and ears with this one.

Thanks again for your advice.....much appreciae again ;-)

G
philz

Post by philz »

Glad you got sorted in the end, the RE8 reallyl is a superb sub, especially for its size!

Return to “ICE and Security”