getn my v6 this sat - need driving advice!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

vishpish

getn my v6 this sat - need driving advice!

Post by vishpish »

hey peeps

right ive waiting 1 yr and 50 wks for the day i can drive my goddamn rev1 1990 piec of broken xxxx mr2 safely and reliably!

so its happening this weekend. she hasnt half had the time to be specced up ie v6 + rev3 box, brand spankin nur spec and tubby brakes/calipers, springs, super advan sa3rs on brand new fk452 falken rubber (245/35/17 rear 215/40/16 front), nardi wheel etc

but im used to my sisters 1.1l 50bhp panda.

im really really scared of driving this car up the road! is it easy, will it grip ok, should i be worried of wet weather and rnd abouts, should i actully put my foot down but wait for a straight road!

paul has tested everything fixed the whole lot and put in an awesome v6 lump...my biggest fear is driving it wrong and ruining what iv worked so fookin hard for all this time...hell its my first modified car!

advice nowwwwwwwwwwww
cantfindausername

Re: getn my v6 this sat - need driving advice!

Post by cantfindausername »

Stop being a fanny. The car will appear super quick, but you'll be used to it in no time with the more you drive it.

End of the day these cars (much like any other car) are only dangerous if you're driving like a pleb.

Take it easy for the first few miles, get comfortable in the cabin. Spend some quality time in there. Don't give it beans in the wet or damp. Just drive sensibly, unless the urge takes you, but then thats the risk at any time.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

I suggest you be like Lauren and stick to the Panda.
JJ

Post by JJ »

A quick V6 ??!! :mrgreen: :wink:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Only boot it on a straight and be careful. If you feel the backend move on a corner then be quick with a little opposite lock. And when I say quick, be really quick.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

^^^ what rob said :thumleft:

dont plant your foot down in a corner, regardless.. until your used to it maybe.

have fun with the v6, im sure you'll love it \:D/
Moo

Post by Moo »

It will only go as fast as your right foot wants it to. Just take it easy and drive sensibly until you get used to it.

Enjoy :thumleft:
blue2

Post by blue2 »

I have one, paul did mine and they are fantastic! Good job you got decent rubber on the rears as they are tail happy especially in the rain, be careful until you are used to it. Dont be scared of driving it for gods sake they are easy you just need to take a bit of time getting used to it.
Are you having any headwork done or the y-pipe mod, flywheel?
Keep the revs below 4k until you have driven it a 100 miles or so just incase anything needs tightening.
Drive it how you would drive a standard mr2, ie dont boot it around corners or roundabouts or it will let go. No problems in a straight line but if you boot it in 1st the rears will spin up easily, I have 255 f1s on mine and they still do this.
The most noticable difference is the torque, you can sit at 25mph in 5th and it will pull no problems. To conserve petrol I have attempted to drive like this to work but as Im sure you will find, the temptation is just too great to give it a boot now and again.
Enjoy it, they are bloody great fun!!
:D
si2040

Post by si2040 »

you should be very scared and stick to the panda as it might be best V6 is only for the experienced drivers who have had taste of fast cars. Actually I suggest to stay away from this as you could harm yourself and others on the road. If you are this nervous of driving a more powerful car I'd get some practice in an open field where no one will get hurt...keep clear of the sheeps as well. Also giving advice to 'boot it' is stupid. Cars that need to be driven fast should be taken on the track as 0-70 is as fast as you can legally go. I've seen many nutters in my time using the boot it option on the roads and seen someone even almost get killed. Stupidity is no ones fault but yours.

I suggest you try V8 its good for you and you can't feel worried or scared or harm anyone by booting it.. Tesco's sells it for 78p a can.
MR2 Night Fox
MartG

Post by MartG »

Just be gentle and progressive on the throttle at first until you get used to it
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

just go easy with the right foot. No jumping either on or off the pedals. Head up by the Queens View past the Carbeth Inn and just be smooth and easy. Get used to the car again.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Sorry but no one is seriously advising booting it. I doubt he is that nervous as he wouldnt have driven an mr2 in the 1st place. He should not be scared in the slightest as they are a easy to drive ONCE YOU GET USED TO THEM thats the key. I suggest anyone who is going to advise this guy against driving this car should only do so if they have actually driven a v6 mr2. ](*,)
Clearsky

Post by Clearsky »

si2040 wrote:you should be very scared and stick to the panda as it might be best V6 is only for the experienced drivers who have had taste of fast cars. Actually I suggest to stay away from this as you could harm yourself and others on the road. If you are this nervous of driving a more powerful car I'd get some practice in an open field where no one will get hurt...keep clear of the sheeps as well. Also giving advice to 'boot it' is stupid. Cars that need to be driven fast should be taken on the track as 0-70 is as fast as you can legally go. I've seen many nutters in my time using the boot it option on the roads and seen someone even almost get killed. Stupidity is no ones fault but yours.

I suggest you try V8 its good for you and you can't feel worried or scared or harm anyone by booting it.. Tesco's sells it for 78p a can.

I am not sure if you are trying to be funny but I have never seen a more smug and pompous reply on any forum I have ever been on.
si2040

Post by si2040 »

There is nothing to worry about unless you are planning to be stupid. Power only comes out when you dont know how to co-ordinate your feet in which case a few physio days should be booked. Failing that I do suggest that you wear a crash helmet if your car does not have an air bag or brakes upgraded.. Also when driving the V6 make sure to do the victory sign with your hand and clearly showing out the window so anyone watching you knows you might be implying V6 inside instead of v for victory. Another thing if you are scared to drive it is ask someone else to drive and you sit in the passenger seat so you can 'feel' the power before the power is handed over to you. Remember its never too good to be trigger happy when holding a gun and the same applys for being throttle heavy when driving a car. If you are still scared it might be best to hold off until your nerves calm as else they will get the better of you when driving..should you think this is the case place a green L plate on the front and back of the car and do the v for victory sign as you drive along so people understand you are nervous driver driving a V6 car. I suggest if this is all too much it might be best that you keep your Panda as its still a great car and you can get lots of looks even if its for the wrong reason. So all in all take your time and thearpy is always available so not to worry.
MR2 Night Fox
Clearsky

Post by Clearsky »

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit my friend :D
si2040

Post by si2040 »

Clearsky wrote:Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit my friend :D

Sarcasm it is not dear chap...I'm giving good solid advice to this young gun who will be firing around in a V6 soon. :oldtongue:
MR2 Night Fox
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Dont worry, its just like any other car realy (except if your put your foot down around corners...)

As soon as I turned 21 and my insurance became active I was out straight away in my Turbo and this was my first MR2 and I had no problems at all, last car was a Merc 190E with something like 100bhp. :thumleft:
Clearsky

Post by Clearsky »

si2040 wrote:
Clearsky wrote:Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit my friend :D

Sarcasm it is not dear chap...I'm giving good solid advice to this young gun who will be firing around in a V6 soon. :oldtongue:

I am sure he will be more than grateful for having received the benefit of your experience and opinion.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Its a sad state of affairs when people who clearly know f**k all about what they are talking about try to offer advice to someone who asks a straight forward and honest question. Vishpish I highly recommend heading over to twobrutal.com where Im sure you will get much more useful advice from people who actually drive them. :roll:
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

si2040 wrote:There is nothing to worry about unless you are planning to be stupid. Power only comes out when you dont know how to co-ordinate your feet in which case a few physio days should be booked. Failing that I do suggest that you wear a crash helmet if your car does not have an air bag or brakes upgraded.. Also when driving the V6 make sure to do the victory sign with your hand and clearly showing out the window so anyone watching you knows you might be implying V6 inside instead of v for victory. Another thing if you are scared to drive it is ask someone else to drive and you sit in the passenger seat so you can 'feel' the power before the power is handed over to you. Remember its never too good to be trigger happy when holding a gun and the same applys for being throttle heavy when driving a car. If you are still scared it might be best to hold off until your nerves calm as else they will get the better of you when driving..should you think this is the case place a green L plate on the front and back of the car and do the v for victory sign as you drive along so people understand you are nervous driver driving a V6 car. I suggest if this is all too much it might be best that you keep your Panda as its still a great car and you can get lots of looks even if its for the wrong reason. So all in all take your time and thearpy is always available so not to worry.

:lol:

Vish Pish - I think I recall posting something a little similar to your post the day before I went to pick up my first MR2 Turbo a few years back.

As other members have said, just take your time, regulate your throttle movements and get a feel for the car's ability gradually.

It will surprise you just how quickly you get used to the power, even after driving your sisters little Panda.

You must be very excited having waited so long.

Savour it mate and enjoy every minute! :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”