Warning lights on and off!

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steveaddy

Warning lights on and off!

Post by steveaddy »

Hi could anyone help me,yesterday i was driving my 1990 mk2 g-limited back home and the warning battery light came on with the other warning light which shows pic of engine with a fan and a other light not sure what that was,then they went off and then came back on for a while and then all 3 went back off.i got home and turned it off and the lights didnt come back on when i turned the ignition on so i left it,until this morning when i went to start it the battery was flat! any ideas?ive just taken the battery off to charge it and noticed a bit of corrison powder around the postive terminal.if it was just the battery why would all the warning lights come on?any help would be great.thanks steve
Phil Dawson

Re: Warning lights on and off!

Post by Phil Dawson »

It suggests alternator problem.

The alternator shares some pathways with the Engine Bay Fan/Dash light and so a problem can show up other errors aswell.

Check the fuses in the engine bay and front boot for the Alt, in particular IGN-IG (as this links the Fan and Alt circuits)

If the fault still persists check that you are putting out 14+V when the engine is running, any lower and your alternator is shot (good look getting it out)

(of course cleaning the batt terminals is always good too)

Return to “Electrical”