TEAM IMOC - Ten of the Best 8 (TOTB VIII) - July 26th, 2009

Information and discussion about TOTB

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

royashmr2

Re: TEAM IMOC - Ten of the Best 8 (TOTB VIII) - July 26th, 2009

Post by royashmr2 »

does seem quite. I have my form ready to go off.

There are loads of big builds going on at the moment, maybe people are waiting till there cars are running?
10.1 @137.36
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

I've wanted to do this for the last 2 years, which is how long I've been waiting for my car to be finished due to various hold ups. If it makes the figures we're hoping for and I can make it perform then I'll be there. No point getting my hopes up till that time tho.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Momentum

Post by Momentum »

I am def really intrested and my 2 should be back on the road in a few weeks, just finishing off the headwork, so i should have plenty of time to sort out any niggles and get a good set up sorted out....
michael

Post by michael »

Century Motorsport wrote:
What's the list looking like now Mitch?

It's looking good if everyone who has shown an interest ends up running on the day but we all know things never seem to work out that way :)

Still looking for names though, the more the better at this stage.

On a related note one of the other teams has asked for permission for the DOT marked Hoosier drag tyre to be allowed at TOTB, apparently Santa Pod and Avon Park both accept it in the road class and it's considered road legal - do any of you see this as a benefit to the MR2 team or would you be against it?

I'm in two minds about it really, I think it's a positive move to help times but then it's also another step away from the cars being 100% road cars - this has already happened though so it might be too late to try and stop that without harming the event.

What are your thoughts?

There is talk that the start line may be properly glued this year to help with traction but that's not completely confirmed as yet.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Funny one, I'd say go with it, people always try to "bend" the rules slightly so people who stick to the rules seem to suffer, so allowing them will make it more of a level playing field.

Now, the noise test........... ](*,)
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

We'll be shooting ourselves in the foot big time if we do this -

Firstly, if they allow the tyres in then everyone who is serious about the competition will need to buy a pair of these tyres as they are in another class when compared to the micky t street radials - its an expense that no one is going to willingly stomach.

Secondly, the MR2's have a great advantage over any other RWD car in the category due to the engine being sat on the back axle. We can make the best of the tyre restrictions as they are. If they are opened up to use these hoosiers our advantage will be greatly reduced and then the supra's and big cars alike will come into their own.

Who gets the final say on this rule? Is it put to a vote or just considered by the organisers?
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
michael

Post by michael »

It's out for discussion at the moment with input invited - basically 2 of the Skyline chaps have the tyres already as far as I can see and they don't want to have to buy an alternative to take part in TOTB.

I'm happy to pass on any opinions from people but I'm going to need input asap.
cantfindausername

Century Motorsport wrote:We'll be shooting ourselves in the foot big time if we do this -

Firstly, if they allow the tyres in then everyone who is serious about the competition will need to buy a pair of these tyres as they are in another class when compared to the micky t street radials - its an expense that no one is going to willingly stomach.

Secondly, the MR2's have a great advantage over any other RWD car in the category due to the engine being sat on the back axle. We can make the best of the tyre restrictions as they are. If they are opened up to use these hoosiers our advantage will be greatly reduced and then the supra's and big cars alike will come into their own.

Who gets the final say on this rule? Is it put to a vote or just considered by the organisers?

+1 for that.

I think that although yes, they are "street legal" tyres, its pulling the event further away from the principle of it being "Road Cars" and moving ever closer to the more pro drag series.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I was very tempted to come along last year as a spectator to see what it was all about and I'm tempted again this year.
By the time of the event I'd hope to have my car running properly but that's something that will have to come together over the next couple of months. If it is then I would consider competing too. Would I need an MSA license to enter?

I presume the team has to be no more than 10 cars right?
If so how are we looking for that. I don't mind not competing if we have 10 more competitive entries already interested, but I might have a car that's suitable for some of it.
I certainly won't have the legs on some of the other mr2s for a top speed or 1/4 mile time (nor the tyres for it I would guess), and with a big turbo might not be ideal for the handling course either but I'd hope that it's not a bad all-rounder. It would be good to get out and compete again if I can. I'm looking around at the moment of things that I can do with it and this looks like it would be a good, fun event!

How tight is the handling course normally and how much does power come into it? In theory a car with a 300bhp car would probably be more nimble but since Nathan got the quickest time last year that might not be the case. Was that all down to driving or was the extra power needed too?

I should also note that this is assuming the car gets sorted out before 3rd July. Right now it's not mapped and needs a bit of work to get it ready etc. so this is just a toe in the water thing for now...

Oh and fwiw, I would also agree with Nathan. From an independent point of view it seems silly as everyone will end up having to spend a load more £££ to buy the new tyres just because 2 ppl already have them. From an MR2 perspective, grip is what we do best so taking that advantage away from us would be like introducing a maximum power limit for the skylines or a minimum weight limit for the Loti.

Wingers
greeny

Post by greeny »

Anyone got a link to these hoosier tyre?

Im hoping to be there again mitch :thumleft:

I was rushed as hell last year and as such the results werent great so hopefully this year i'l get some better times and hopefully have some stickier tyres too !

Oh and il be staying on site this year as i was in macdonalds in york having breakfast last year when everyone else was getting ready 8-[

Il bring the mobile home :lol:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
michael

Post by michael »

greeny wrote:Anyone got a link to these hoosier tyre?

http://www.hoosiertire.com/specdrag.htm

I'm still not 100% which of the DOT tyres they are wanting to run but the options I see are:

Hoosier Quick Time Drag DoTs

The D.O.T. Drag Radial

Quicktime Pro DoTs

NOTE: D.O.T. Labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death.
cantfindausername

I think that quote in itself is reason enough to keep them out of TOTB.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
michael

Post by michael »

Looking back at my emails it looks as though it's the middle tyre they want to use - The D.O.T. Drag Radial"

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch ... toview=sku

These Hoosier D.O.T. drag radial tires meet the Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only. They feature a special compound to provide good traction, making them perfect for classes that require a street-legal style tire. The D.O.T. drag radials are not intended for street use, or for use on public roads

But if you click on the tyres it says:

Hoosier D.O.T. drag radials are designed and approved for D.O.T. class racing only. They are not approved, nor recommended for any kind of street use.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

michael wrote:
These Hoosier D.O.T. drag radial tires meet the Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only. They feature a special compound to provide good traction, making them perfect for classes that require a street-legal style tire. The D.O.T. drag radials are not intended for street use, or for use on public roads

Think sums it up.

I'll be coming up as a spectator :thumleft:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
greeny

Post by greeny »

In essence though, the mickey T D/r's arent road legal so shouldnt really be eligable?

Its a fine line in which tyres you can/should include, as alot of the cars last year were hardly road legal (which is what the cars are supposed to be), as im sure they will be this year.

Maybe they should limit the actual road legal class to actual road legal tyres :lol: i.e. A048/R888's etc.

Nath will you be in the pro class with slicks or you planning on road legal class?
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Century Motorsport

greeny wrote:In essence though, the mickey T D/r's arent road legal so shouldnt really be eligable?

Its a fine line in which tyres you can/should include, as alot of the cars last year were hardly road legal (which is what the cars are supposed to be), as im sure they will be this year.

Maybe they should limit the actual road legal class to actual road legal tyres :lol: i.e. A048/R888's etc.

Nath will you be in the pro class with slicks or you planning on road legal class?

Michael the Micky T street radials are 100% road legal.

The micky T's are a radial construction, the hoosiers are a cross ply construction - the cross ply tyre will allow massive tyre wall flex and this contributes a lot of the grip on the launches. This would make the hoosiers far superior to the Micky T's and in turn would basically render the Micky T's useless.

I'll be in the road legal class - i dont see any point in going into the pro drag class to get my ar$e handed to me by a 1300hp skyline. Its a team event and I think its great that we're all getting MR2's a bit more widely realised as a car with great tuning potential.

This topic is still pretty quiet... as this is now an IMOC only team surely the powers within IMOC can promote this topic a bit more accross the web site? Its not even a sticky in the events section..... ideally it would be a sticky at the top of each MR2 tech/mod forum so everyone has the best chance of seeing it, i'm sure its overlooked by many possible contenders.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
greeny

Post by greeny »

I didnt think the mickeyt's were lega in the UK, they re in the states but not the UK IIRC.
megatart

Post by megatart »

Not related to the tyre talk in any way, but got a vid of Nathan vs that 900bhp Granada in the final last year. Its not a brill vid cos its camera phone. Only just uploaded it.
Century Motorsport

This topic is still pretty quiet... as this is now an IMOC only team surely the powers within IMOC can promote this topic a bit more accross the web site? Its not even a sticky in the events section..... ideally it would be a sticky at the top of each MR2 tech/mod forum so everyone has the best chance of seeing it, i'm sure its overlooked by many possible contenders.

Nathan

Evidently not ...
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Nathan

Evidently not ...

Sorry - I've not been following this thread for a while.

IMOC is fully behind this. I'll have a word with Scott (Events Admin) and the rest of the Committee to see what we can do to promote this better.

You guys are making the effort to put together a good team - we'll do what we can to make sure you get the support and team members you need.

Feel free to get in contact if you have specific ideas of how we can help :thumleft:

Return to “TOTB - Team IMOC-UK”