Removing Coilovers

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Supradave

Removing Coilovers

Post by Supradave »

I am about to start looking for a Rev3 Mkii Turbo that I intend to use on a daily basis to get me back and forth to work plus possibly the occasional trip along the A4.

Once I get one I will probably be one of your older MR2 Turbo owners (40+) and am not a fan of all these Dump Valves and Coilovers so I am looking for as standard car as possible.

Unfortunately there do not appear to be many standard ones left so I am resigning myself to probably buying a car and returning it to standard suspension and the original OEM dump valve.

Refitting the standard dump valve looks very straightforward however going back to the original suspension looks a bit more complex (and a bit more expensive).

Is it just a case of getting the bits from Mr T (Toyota Dealer) and then removing the coilovers and fitting the new parts and then getting the set up checked by someone like Elite?

I also need to allow for the cost of doing this so does anyone know how much (roughly) the parts would cost?
JeffD

Re: Removing Coilovers

Post by JeffD »

Front turbo springs are £62 each incl VAT from MRT so imagine rears are similar

Shocks front and back are about £65 each IIRC

Bet if you asked on forum offering to swap your aftermarket stuff for standard youd have plenty of takers :-)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

your best bet is to try and swap your coilovers with someone on here and cash your way.

that way they get what they want, and you get what you want :thumleft:

or you can get hold of some original turbo suspension i should imagine from toyotaGT.
www.toyotagt.co.uk

give them a call, tell them what you need :thumleft:
Supradave

Post by Supradave »

So people will pay for second hand springs and suspension components, that does surprise me.

That's a bonus I had not considered.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Supradave wrote:So people will pay for second hand springs and suspension components, that does surprise me.

That's a bonus I had not considered.

as long as they're fine (i.e, no leaks in shocks or cracks in springs) :thumleft:

hope that helps mate.
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

what coilovers are they mate.

what it may pay to do is if someone wants to swap them, get them to do the journey to you and get them to swap over all the compnents.

means no cash is passed and all the work is done by them :)

if you want cash dont let people rob you!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I'm not sure how hard you've looked yet but I reckon there should still be plenty of standard cars about. Keep looking, buy standard and save the hassle.

R.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Swopping back from coilovers to standard suspension is relatively simple.
As has been said either swop your coilovers for standard shocks/springs plus some cash, or sell your coilovers and buy a decent set of stock 2nd hand shocks and some new Eibach or similair springs.
Not difficult to change them yourself, I went from stock to coilovers and back to stock (Mrs thought ride was too firm :cry: ) and I'm not mechanically minded.
Should be easy enough to do over a weekend in a garage with axle stands and ramps etc.. Plenty of step by step guides on the internet.
Then you just need 4 wheel alignment set up and you are away.
EX Caribbean Blue 10th Anniversary 1996 T-bar
EX Black 1995 mk2 GT Turbo
NOW Audi TT V6 3.2 DSG 2004 Coupe
Supradave

Post by Supradave »

Excellent thanks for your help and advice on this chaps.

I've been looking for a few weeks now and have a very clear view of the type of car I am looking for (Rev 3 Turbo, Not Coilovers, std Dump Valve, no bigger than 16" alloys, fsh and below 80k miles). Unfortunately I have not seen the type of car come up for sale yet and am starting to look at my options.

The comment about the wife finding the suspension too hard is exactly what I am expecting. The wife has been whisked around in a 540i for the past 12 months (nice car but boring) and she is going to be in for a bit of a shock when I get an MR2.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The advice on swapping with someone is pretty sound - I had a set of really stiff coilovers on my car when it was imported and ended up swapping them with Nathan at Century Motorsport for some adjustable Koni struts. I think they're standard Rev1 suspension with replacement springs and adjustable inserts fitted - they suit me down to the ground. Rather than cash my way I went for getting Century to do all the swap work as payment because it was a good 2hrs of labour and I imagine is a real pain in the ar$e without ramps.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”