[Mk2] [Turbo] started installing my st205 chargecooler!!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bolton

[Mk2] [Turbo] started installing my st205 chargecooler!!!

Post by bolton »

hi all started instaling my charge cooler today, fitted the pre rad and ran the hoses. decided to put them into the frunk via the opening the heater hoses use then i am going to drill 2 20mm holes in the front panel and connect them to the prerad do you think it is ok to run the hoses through the frunk like this, i know it raises centre of gravity but think it will be ok, any opimoins people??
Greddy-Matt

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] started installing my st205 chargecooler!!!

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Hi,
I can't see the benefit of doing that? Have you mounted the pre rad in front of the stock rad? The feeds run under the car in depression under the transmission tunnel in the floor pan + the under trays fit over the top with minor cutting. There is room to fit everything out of the way almost like it was designed for it....

I'm doing some work on mine tomorrow if you need pics of where all the pipework is run in the front?? There are also some excelent "How Too" threads on this :thumleft: Seems a shame to start drilling and cutting metal work unless you absolutely have to! :)
bolton

Post by bolton »

yeah m8 pics would be excellant! Thankyou!
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

No worries Ill take some tomorrow as I'm replacing the charge cooler pump. Out of interest what pump are you going to use? If its the stock celica one, I've found some pretty mental powdercoated brackets from B&Q that mount the pump up out of the way!
bolton

Post by bolton »

yeah got a stock one. Goin to do the bearings and mount it on the gearbox! These mounts ok for this? Any more info would be great m8! Got a rev2 and a st205 cooler. You kept the air con?
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Yeah, I still got aircon, well my bracket snapped although its not exactly common I prob caught mine lol... I bought L'shaped brackets they're concrete-wood brackets in the roofing hardware section :lol: , I'll find the code/dims for you, they're about 4mm thick so no chance of them going!!
bolton

Post by bolton »

yeah my pump has no way of mounting it at the moment! Lol! Was going to try and make up sumthin!
Moo

Post by Moo »

Here's a few pictures of my CC install that may give you a few ideas. There's also other excellent more detailed guides on this forum if you have a look around.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Here's a few pics i took today, I hope they kinda help, not the best I'm afraid... #-o

Horns relocated to the LH side

Pre Rad in

Hot and cold pipes

RH side of rad

Pipes out of pre rad round bulkhead on passenger side / wheel well

As above but a bit furthar along

Uround the wheel well area, up and under the chassis

The tricky pit is routing round all the front suspension arms etc and into the trans' tunnel space without kinking the pipes.

Out the other end

As above

And a few of the pump/mount:

bolton

Post by bolton »

ok m8 many thanks for them they will be so useful! Cheers
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

No worries, do yourself a favour and grab a bag of 5mm cable ties from B&Q they are re-useable white and its circa £5 for a bag of 50, they are strong as hell and will keep everything where it's supposed to be!
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Man there's a lot of cable ties there! Is one pipe routed underneath the steering rack? Would be better to have it going over the top on the otherside of the car.

And where is the bleed? With pipes on the right hand side I'd have through the rad was the wrong way round? There's much better ways to run the pipes IMO.

I'll get some piccys of one I've just done :wink: I've got it down to an art!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I was about to say more or less what Luke just said, if that's a fiat rad then how do you bleed it? With the hoses on the passenger side of the car the bleed valve on the rad will be at the bottom which will make it more or less useless...

I'm not convinced your pump is up to the job either, as per Allan Welsh's findings... do you have any intake temp monitoring rigged up?

I started a guide for fitting the ST205 CC from the ground up but then someone drove into my car on the M1 so I never finished it. It might be of some use though, see http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103914
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

How do you mean? I had a celica pump which got damaged :( , this pump is from a chargecooler from a much much more modern car (clue it runs a VW engine :wink: ), agreed it looks very small but it flows a huge amount of fluid, you can see the flid moving hell of a quick through it!

The CC is stone cold even after long high boost pulls ie last night I did several full bore pulls through all the gears, pulled over, the turbo was glowing red hot but the coolant was cool when i put m finger in it.

I had to route the pipes that way round because my rad isn't stock and there wasn't room to get the pipes through in the normal way...

The temp sensor thing is a definate, I'm trying to build one at the moment using the KB guide :D :thumleft:

Oh and yes there are waaaaaay to man cable ties, I agree + didn't actually need hardly any BUT I'm a bit paranoid like that and went a little bit mad with them! :oops: They certanly aren't going anywhere!

Luke how do you normally rout the pipes dude? Be interested to see! :thumleft:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

My pump small dont ya think :whistle:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

ahhh people I so have to get some pics of the last one I did! There's a few new tricks that aren't in circulation yet, but I've kept them to myself long enough! lol but you will have to wait for me to take pics. If you're really intrigued call me sometime! :thumleft:
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Tease! :lol:
Marf

Post by Marf »

spill spill spill! :D
ELS

Post by ELS »

pics pics pics!!! \:D/

Return to “Modifications”