Xbox 360 and internet dongle thingy

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Carlos GTS

Xbox 360 and internet dongle thingy

Post by Carlos GTS »

Anyone know if you can connect your xbox to a laptop (or desktop) that has one of those broadband dongle things, rather then the standard phone line routers (from 3 or Vodaphone etc)? A friend has xbox and said dongle and wants to see if it's possible so he doesn't have to get a phone line etc?

Any ideas if and how?

Thanks

Carl
H3RB

Re: Xbox 360 and internet dongle thingy

Post by H3RB »

i think if u set the connection on the laptop/desktop to sharing it should work, thats how i used to do it on the xbox 1 anyway
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Do you mean use a wireless USB dongle plugged into the xbox so he doesnt need to have an ethernet cable from a router?

If so, no I dont think that works.
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

i'm 99% certain you need the official microsoft one tbh mate
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

mikee66 wrote:i'm 99% certain you need the official microsoft one tbh mate

u can use any adsl wireless router plugged into ur 360 ethernet port, as long as the router can be put into bridge mode :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

But if it's plugged into the xbox via ethernet then it's not wireless?

I'm really confused as to what he's trying to do?
Carlos GTS

Post by Carlos GTS »

Cheers for the replys guys.

I mean one of these.

http://www.e2save.com/o2-contract-modem ... O2USBMODEM

It's the mobile broadband you get form 3 or o2

I know you can set up your xbox to go through your laptop for wireless to a router, but with this it plugs straight into the the laptop (no router or phoneline). Connection is still good at fast but can't work out if he can now connect his xbox to his Computer to use this as the broadband?

What do you think. I've not had a play with it myself, but I would guess you could do it in the simular way to using a laptop for the wirelessness (is that even a word?) I just don't realy know how these dongle things work....

Cheers for any opinions?

Carlos
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Ah, so you mean connect his laptop to his xbox then use the laptops wireless connection to make his xbox wireless!

That I cant answer, PM Sheppy, IIRC that guy has some mad set up with his xbox and pc linked up.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

matt_mr2t wrote:But if it's plugged into the xbox via ethernet then it's not wireless?

the router in bridge mode acts as a wireless reciever so it makes the 360 wireless
James

Post by James »

get this - I have just bought on to use on my Istar Network media tank.
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4PYX
pcp

Post by pcp »

matt_mr2t wrote:Ah, so you mean connect his laptop to his xbox then use the laptops wireless connection to make his xbox wireless!

That I cant answer, PM Sheppy, IIRC that guy has some mad set up with his xbox and pc linked up.

hehe, i don't think it's a a mad set up, if you're running vista ultimate or windows media centre edition and you switch your pc on at the same time as your 360 you'll get a pop up saying media centre extender found automatically, if you're running any other versions of windows you can configure yourself in the 360 network settings (i think)
pcp

Post by pcp »

Carlos GTS wrote:Cheers for the replys guys.

I mean one of these.

http://www.e2save.com/o2-contract-modem ... O2USBMODEM

It's the mobile broadband you get form 3 or o2

I know you can set up your xbox to go through your laptop for wireless to a router, but with this it plugs straight into the the laptop (no router or phoneline). Connection is still good at fast but can't work out if he can now connect his xbox to his Computer to use this as the broadband?

What do you think. I've not had a play with it myself, but I would guess you could do it in the simular way to using a laptop for the wirelessness (is that even a word?) I just don't realy know how these dongle things work....

Cheers for any opinions?

Carlos

Are you looking to connect your 360 to laptop via ethernet and then basically use your laptop as a hardwired router? I'll have a go this evening with mine if you'd like and see if i can get it to work.

One of my mates is looking something similar, altho he wants to just plug the BB dongle straight into his 360 as he doesn't have a pc, told him i'd doubt it'd work like that.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

H3RB wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:But if it's plugged into the xbox via ethernet then it's not wireless?

the router in bridge mode acts as a wireless reciever so it makes the 360 wireless

:?

I thought the router was plugged into the phone line and then you plug that into the xbox - that's what I have done.
Carlos GTS

Post by Carlos GTS »

Cheers again all.

Yeah he's looking to either.

Xbox (via Ethernet) to Laptop to BB dongle.

Or he has a spare router and tried
Xbox to router to laptop to BB Dongle.

When he tried this he could find the laptop on the xbox and visa versa, but coudn't connect to the Net?? He tried Filed sharing etc but no luck?

I'm sure it must be possible??

C
Carlos GTS

Post by Carlos GTS »

pcp wrote:

One of my mates is looking something similar, altho he wants to just plug the BB dongle straight into his 360 as he doesn't have a pc, told him i'd doubt it'd work like that.

I agree I don't think that would work either, hence trying to do it through the Laptop.

But they are both trying to get the same result! Xbox on the net via one of these dongle things...

Cheers
Carl
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Has he thought about just getting the Xbox wireless adapter, they're about £30 - £40 on ebay usually.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

mwhahaha, i do have a mad setup!!!

na not really, i don't think you can do this, i'm pretty sure he means just plugging the wireless device into the Xbox.

suppose you can only try it mate, failing that you could do it through the laptop, if that also fails get the wireless adapter from microsoft!!!

microsoft are sneaky b4stards when it comes to this kind of thing, forcing you to buy their products to get round it!!!
Carlos GTS

Post by Carlos GTS »

Hi Guys..

Matt I don't think you quite understand it..

It's not a wireless adapter so to speak..
That little Dongle (probably not the right word) from O2 is all you have to connect to the internet.
There is NO BT land line, not router, no nothing.. effectivly you can take your laptop anywhere and connect to the internet. So long as you have this dongle thing.

The whole broadband set up is just a laptop plug in dongle and away you go!.

What he is trying to do is through the laptop, connect his xbox to the same connection.

Does that make sence? It's not the easiest thing to explain...

But if you got to the phone sellers like Dialaphone, that is what they sell with the laptops now. or they sell the broadband with a free laptop...

Cheers again
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Carlos GTS wrote:Hi Guys..

That little Dongle (probably not the right word) from O2 is all you have to connect to the internet.
There is NO BT land line, not router, no nothing.. effectivly you can take your laptop anywhere and connect to the internet. So long as you have this dongle thing.

What he is trying to do is through the laptop, connect his xbox to the same connection.

But if you got to the phone sellers like Dialaphone, that is what they sell with the laptops now. or they sell the broadband with a free laptop...

Cheers again

I get what you mean mate, it's H3RB that's confused the hell out of me!
pcp

Post by pcp »

Carlos GTS wrote:Hi Guys..

Cheers again

can he see the router from the laptop? and use the router as a bridge? if you could he could just plug directly into the router via ethernet.

Or just tell him to get proper broadband :oldtongue:

Return to “Games Consoles”