Both MK1's unusable at the moment

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Blue1984

Both MK1's unusable at the moment

Post by Blue1984 »

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share our so called "luck" with these cars.

Had my MK1 since May, had no problems with her. Treated her to a sunroof liner and generally tidyed her up and enjoyed her. It all started to go wrong when we were off to Ware in Hertfordshire when she started juddering on the M25 and veering to the left when braking. We pulled over in a large shopping centre and interrupted an RAC Man filling up his tank to get some advice & he confirmed that the brake was binding, we had a feeling that was the case but just wanted it confirmed. Got home with 4 stops along the way for it to cool down and that was that. My other half had a look at the brakes and readjusted them (or whatever it is, he's technically minded I am not) but it didn't cure it.

We bought some new brakes for it, which he got round to fitting over Christmas and they are fine but part of the brake hose was too corroded and broke so we had to order the part from Toyota. They sad it would be in this week, but we went there to find that it and the other bits we'd ordered for the other cars all hadnt turned up! Also had problems with the battery in mine, it's too small size and power wise so he swapped the batteries around and now mine starts up but can't go anywhere until the brake is sorted. His one now doesn't start either but the battery is fine it seems to be the starter motor!

But that isn't all.....on his daily drive the alternator went on it in the middle of December, bought some new brakes for my Yaris but they are too big (our fault as we didn't realise they came in two sizes for the phase Yaris that it is) and the 'barge' as it's known won't start either now.

So if any of you feel hard done by, hopefully this makes you think otherwise!

Ah that feels better to share with fellow MK1'ers! On the plus side we got a new clutch for my MK1 from a Toyota dealer through ebay for £30! They had it in their stock room for 10 years. Picked it up yesterday and it's spot on.
My girl is a MK1(b) Sunroof Model 1.6L

I'm a female MK1 driver.
SuperRedMR2

Re: Both MK1's unusable at the moment

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

All the problems we go through on these cars, makes the ownership even more fun :thumleft: :D
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

its your own fault going into Herts. thats jinxy land... be afraid ,be very afraid .... :shock:
Blue1984

Post by Blue1984 »

Yep, we still love the cars though - it's just a tad bit annoying!

I spose it's like waiting for a bus....don't get anything and then loads come along at once :lol: :roll:
My girl is a MK1(b) Sunroof Model 1.6L

I'm a female MK1 driver.
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

crazylegs wrote:its your own fault going into Herts. thats jinxy land... be afraid ,be very afraid .... :shock:

There are some good things in Herts :D

In fact, I am actually in Ware and may explain why I have never seen another Mk1 in Ware, seen one in next village along.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Kateg28 wrote:
crazylegs wrote:its your own fault going into Herts. thats jinxy land... be afraid ,be very afraid .... :shock:

There are some good things in Herts :D

In fact, I am actually in Ware and may explain why I have never seen another Mk1 in Ware, seen one in next village along.

I have many happy memories of Ware, my parents owned about half an acre of land in Levens Green, they tried for many years to get planning permission but never got it :evil:
That's where i had my first experiences of driving, zooming around the piece of land on an old Lambretta, well riding really.
Do they still have a cattle market in Ware?
Sorry that this is nothing to do with cars but just brought back loads of memories :D
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve wrote:

Do they still have a cattle market in Ware?
Sorry that this is nothing to do with cars but just brought back loads of memories :D

Yes, It is called Sky Nightclub!!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”