[Mk2] [NA] Electrical??? Shut off problem

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alfy_gacitua

[Mk2] [NA] Electrical??? Shut off problem

Post by alfy_gacitua »

Hey guys, recently became an Mr2 fan when i purchased my first Mr2 a few weeks ago. I fell in love with it as soon as i drove it and i got a few nice days of driving it, thats until it began giving me problems. i would really apreciate it if anyone out there that has had a similar issue or thinks they might know wat the problem could be to give me some idea. please. so here it goes. the engine starts up fine every time but after a little while it just shuts off!!!! even if warmed up!! if i rev it and keep reving it it will just keep going but if i leave it unattended after a few minutes it just dies!!! please anyone out there!! i love my car and im saving up to get it looked at but for now i know im missing out on great driving. cheers alfy... and sorry for going on so much.
jmachling

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Electrical??? Shut off problem

Post by jmachling »

When was it last serviced - specifically the plugs, distributor cap, fuel filter?
alfy_gacitua

Post by alfy_gacitua »

hey there. i have no idea when those were last replaced. all i have done to it is replaced the oil and coolant and thats about it. since im not a wiz with engines.... so u think it might be one of those?? im really hoping its just something simple so i can sort it out my self.
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

Poor plug condition wouldn't cause the engine to die all of a sudden, there would be a running problem all the time. All four leads wouldn't fail simultaneously too, so rule that out. Blocked fuel filter, you would notice a power loss on accelaration. Possible distributor cap or rotor arm but normally worn caps and arms cause a misfire. Plus you say when you rev it and keep the engine off idle, it's ok? That right? If thats the case then rule out the cap and arm. When it dies, does the engine idle normally and then cuts? Or gradually the revs die down and eventually stop? I'm thinking the throttle position sensor or AFM. Have you checked fault codes? It's quite easy and all you need is a paperclip or piece of wire. There are instructions on how to check error codes on the net. It'll narrow down your search considerably.

Good luck mate.

Liam.
alfy_gacitua

Post by alfy_gacitua »

[quote="Alteran"]Poor plug condition wouldn't cause the engine to die all of a sudden, there would be a running problem all the time. All four leads wouldn't fail simultaneously too, so rule that out. Blocked fuel filter, you would notice a power loss on accelaration. Possible distributor cap or rotor arm but normally worn caps and arms cause a misfire. Plus you say when you rev it and keep the engine off idle, it's ok? That right? If thats the case then rule out the cap and arm. When it dies, does the engine idle normally and then cuts? Or gradually the revs die down and eventually stop? I'm thinking the throttle position sensor or AFM. Have you checked fault codes? It's quite easy and all you need is a paperclip or piece of wire. There are instructions on how to check error codes on the net. It'll narrow down your search considerably.

Hey thank you for your suggestions. The engine sound sort of changes tone if you know what i mean it just sounds slightly different just before it turns off. So in response it doesnt die down gradually, it does suddenly apart from the difference in sound that im talking about. And as for checking for codes no i havent tried yet but i definatly will now!!!! Thank you so much for your reply...
Also would you be able to give me any insight on the throttle position sensor? and what i could possibly do to check it?? cheers
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

Sorry for the delay, computer access is quite limited...

Without a wiring diagram or details of how the component works, checking the TPS could be a bit tricky. First thing to do is check those error codes. It may flag up a problem that doesn't even concern the Throttle Position Sensor. You need a piece of wire or paperclip, with the ignition off, connect terminals TE1 and E1 together with the paperclip. This terminal block can be found in the engine bay, drivers side, grey block. From memory i think it says 'Diagnosis' on the cap. Turn the ignition on and observe the orange engine light on the dash. If it flashes uniformly, with each flash the same distance apart, there are no error codes. If codes are stored, it will flash differently. For example.. Code 35 will be displayed as three flashes.. pause.. five flashes. Then there will be a long pause and the next code will be read out. Or it will be repeated if thats the only one. If you have multiple codes, it will take a bit of time working out the pattern. Write down the codes so you don't miss any. There is a table that converts the numbers to relevent discriptions. Google it, it's quite easy to find.

Let me know how you get on mate

Liam.

Return to “Electrical”