[Mk2] [Turbo] Squeeky clutch pedal in the cold!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James Junior

[Mk2] [Turbo] Squeeky clutch pedal in the cold!

Post by James Junior »

My clutch pedal makes a creaky / squeeky noice in the cold weather every time it is depressed!

My previous REV3 Turbo used to do the same thing.

Does anyone else get this problem? It works fine and I doubt there is anything wrong with it as the car had a new clutch and components about a year ago.

Just wondered if it is a common thing and wanted to ensure it is nothing to worry about...
Steve-O 2007

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Squeeky clutch pedal in the cold!

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

is it comming from inside the car or outside in the engine bay area?
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

The noice is definitely coming from inside - it sounds like the pedal itself is creaking. It tends to happen only in cold weather.
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

mine went though a stage of this not so long ago, but mine was more of a click in the engine bay area, has gone since though :-k
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

Tip is to only drive when you or your lady passenger are HOT , works for me . :lol: :lol: :lol:
513BHP at the hubs
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

My old Rev2 had this as well - it never bothered me enough to sort it, but I suspected it was the pivot point of the clutch release fork not being greased enough - its also the reason why the clutch gets heavy.

Probably only easy to grease and fix fix if the gearbox is off and you're replacing the clutch - it may be possible to do with the gearbox on the car, but you really dont' want to risk getting grease / oil on the clutch's friction plate #-o
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Thanks for the input dudes.

Didn't think it could be anything important as my other turbo did this and never gave me any trouble.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced it!
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Mine sounds terrible as well
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

This fault CAN be resolved permanently without the removal of the gearbox or clutch replacement.

All that is required is to remove the rubber boot to gain access to the area surrounding the clutch release fork. see this link to get an idea of the internals of the gearbox housing:

http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Engin ... GTE-08.htm

The area which needs lubricating is where the fork pivots on a pin (the cup on the fork is coloured green) - See the last three photos in the link. This can be reached - if you have long fingers. Use a pea sized smear of CV Lithium grease (the thick black stuff) on the tip of your finger and rub around the area of the pin.

Do NOT use WD40 or spray anything into the gearbox - it will not work. WD40 will just wash away any remaining lubricant and the squeak will return in a few days.

I sorted my clutch 6 months ago and it has been silent ever since.
Last edited by going4the1 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Mine squeeks like there's some kind of animal trapped underneath the pedal, and the noise definately comes from directly under my foot, where the pedal pivots. It can't even be heard outside of the car...
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

going4the1 wrote:This fault CAN be resolved permanently without the removal of the gearbox or clutch replacement.

All that is required is to remove the rubber boot to gain access to the area surrounding the clutch release fork. see this link to get an idea of the internals of the gearbox housing:

http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Engin ... GTE-08.htm

The area which needs lubricating is where the fork pivots on a pin (the cup on the fork is coloured green) This can be reached - if you have long fingers. Use a pea sized smear of CV Lithium grease (the thick black stuff) on the tip of your finger and rub around the area of the pin.

Do NOT use WD40 or spray anything into the gearbox - it will not work. WD40 will just wash away any remaining lubricant and the squeak will return in a few days.

I sorted my clutch 6 months ago and it has been silent ever since.

Brilliant! Thanks for that, I will roll up my sleeves this weekend!
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

excellent thread :thumleft: something else i'll be doing this weekend! with my
long fingers
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

There are bushes for the pedal available from toyota, i got some ages ago but have yet to fit them. I figured this was the cause of the pedal squeek from inside the cabin.

Return to “Mechanical”