any guides or digrams for removal of bits around the stereo area

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

krista-mr2

any guides or digrams for removal of bits around the stereo area

Post by krista-mr2 »

like where all the screws etc are. trying to remove previos radio etc and it apears to be very stuck in..so need to take part further.. even a written description would help!
un1eash

Re: any guides or digrams for removal of bits around the stereo area

Post by un1eash »

Radio removal takes seconds. Theres 2 screws in the top of the surround. The bottom just clicks in. Then theres 4 screws that hold the cage in which are visible once the surround has been removed. :thumleft:
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

1a or 1b

are you in guildford ATM?
krista-mr2

Post by krista-mr2 »

Tiny wrote:1a or 1b

are you in guildford ATM?

sorry mk1a and yep im in guildford!
krista-mr2

Post by krista-mr2 »

already got the surround of..its the cage was having trouble with...
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

un1eash wrote:Radio removal takes seconds

colourful childhood? :D
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

krista-mr2 wrote:already got the surround of..its the cage was having trouble with...

Have you got this sorted?
As mentioned above, with the surround off it's 4 bolts (8mm socket or Phillips screwdriver iirc) to release the cage. I'd strongly recommend putting a towel over the centre console to stop yourself scratching it with the cage as you pull it out. With the cage half out you should be able to unclip the connector blocks and aerial input and then pull out the cage in one. The radio I'd held in the cage with screws at the side which should be pretty obvious.

The plastic cage trim is held in by the heater controls. It doesn't need to come out to do this job and it's a pain to remove and refit.
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

Don't do what I did the first time and drop a screws down the side of 'transmission tunnel' under the carpet. It's a right PITA to get back.

KARL's TOP TIP #483:
If you think you're going to be swapping the stereo in and out often, eg putting an original back in for shows, put a loop of wire round each bolt before you screw them back in. The next time you come to remove them, provided you're holding the wire, you won't lose the screw. :thumleft:

Karl_T
Red ones go faster......
krista-mr2

Post by krista-mr2 »

right i will let everyone know how i get on with this tomorow
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

if you have any trouble i`m in knaphill untill about 12 so could pop over.
krista-mr2

Post by krista-mr2 »

crazylegs wrote:if you have any trouble i`m in knaphill untill about 12 so could pop over.

excellent! thankyou!
HT

Post by HT »

Krista - top tip is magnetic screwdriver - thats what I use to install. The stereo was what came with the car from ben, but I replaced the surround, removing and making safe the additional 12 volt sockets at the same time, as I mentioned.

I replaced the surround as the stereo had been professional fitted about a decade before and they had cut the surround to fit a din E type cage, and the surround wasn't holding upto the job anymore.

Anyway I had no mk1a brackets so I modified a pair of b ones, so worth putting out a wanted for them as they will make the job much easier! It was on my to do list as a few things are missing trim wise as well like the rear sill covers, and mudflaps. kind rgds Huw
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

you can always pop over to my workshop. GU24 9EW. text me if you are coming over. 07824488727. early is best as i will be going down to the west country at lunch time.
krista-mr2

Post by krista-mr2 »

got it sorted! but need to order a special connector for the system! halfords said 2 weeks!
HT

Post by HT »

krista-mr2 wrote:got it sorted! but need to order a special connector for the system! halfords said 2 weeks!

Cool :thumleft: - is it an ISO adapter you need?? if so I have more than one, happy to throw in the post if it helps.
krista-mr2

Post by krista-mr2 »

HT wrote:
krista-mr2 wrote:got it sorted! but need to order a special connector for the system! halfords said 2 weeks!

Cool :thumleft: - is it an ISO adapter you need?? if so I have more than one, happy to throw in the post if it helps.

yeah its an iso one! that would be wicked if you could..will pm you now!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”