[Mk2] [Turbo] Changing ECU method

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

G-force

[Mk2] [Turbo] Changing ECU method

Post by G-force »

I'm going down from a motec m4 to the stock rev 3 turbo ecu.

I've used the search button but can't find anything. Is changing the ecu simply plug and play or are the cables totally different since the motec was put in there? the motec was there when I bought the car so I'm not sure how it was done. Do I have to change the wires? And where do the other side of the ECU wires end up?

The ecu is currently located in my boot, could I put the stock one in there also?

I could do with a how-to if anyone knows of one?

Cheers.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Changing ECU method

Post by Peter Gidden »

Link ECUs offer an adaptor box - plug original loom in one end, short ECU loom in the other end, all done.

Most ECUs don't offer that option.

Easy enough to do if you're methodical and patient. Study the manufacturer's wiring diagrams carefully until you are totally familiar with them.

Remove old loom. Strip it down to extract non-ecu parts, e.g. oil pressure switch, reverse lights, alternator etc. Rewrap it, refit.

Thread new loom through bulkhead. Lay out wires as you wish them to be routed. Tie wrap each junction. Cut and solder plugs as necessary. Heatshrink each joint. Check each finished plug with an ohm meter back to the new ECU plug. Better to find mistakes now and not later! Remove loom, wrap with non-amalgamating tape, removing old tie wraps as you work your way around new loom. Refit.

Tape each spare wire (optional outputs) for possible future use. Wrap up and leave behind boot carpet.

Connect ignition live, battery live and earths to suitable points.

All done.
G-force

Post by G-force »

Sounds complicated for a n00b to be honest!
Last edited by G-force on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i asume your still running standard injectors?? not uprated ones? otherwise the car isnt going to run correctly....
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

why are you removing the motec?
G-force

Post by G-force »

Yes, they are standard injectors i believe. Why wouldn't the car run correctly?? The car is running incorrectly at the moment because the motec needs a map. The turbo kicks in at 5000 rpm. So I figured the best bet is to put a stock one back on there, and sell the motec. I would expect it to run normally with the stock ecu?

The motec is going because I don't have plans to achieve big bhp figures with my car. near 300bhp at the wheel im happy with. Any more is unuseable for public roads. I have a few standard mods and I believe I can reach 280-300bhp with the stock ecu.

*edit* sorry i mean 300bhp from the engine
Last edited by G-force on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

G-force wrote:I'm going down from a motec m4 to the stock rev 3 turbo ecu.

OK, so now i've read your post properly :oops:

To return to stock ECU, easiest way would be to find the correct loom for your car. Remove old stuff and old ECU. Fit new loom, plug in, and try starting. There might be some messing around with wires, but it should be close. You might need to swap some sendsors. And as jimgts says, you'll probably need a set of original injectors.
G-force

Post by G-force »

jimGTS wrote:i asume your still running standard injectors?? not uprated ones? otherwise the car isnt going to run correctly....

Oh, I read that incorrectly. I thought you meant that the stock injectors would not run the car correctly.

Would it better that I get this ecu swapped by someone, I am quite useless with these kind of things. Can you recommend anyone? What about this Ryan.g dude? Would he know?
G-force

Post by G-force »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

OK, so now i've read your post properly :oops:

To return to stock ECU, easiest way would be to find the correct loom for your car. Remove old stuff and old ECU. Fit new loom, plug in, and try starting. There might be some messing around with wires, but it should be close. You might need to swap some sendsors. And as jimgts says, you'll probably need a set of original injectors.

So it's a simple case of plug and play? I don't have the stock ecu loom! I thought I could use the motec one. Is this possible? Arghh, I'd have to buy another thing, more delays :(
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Yep, basically plug and play.

You won't be able to use the MoTeC loom (OK in theory you could, but in practice no one would), and it will have a greater value to other MR2 owners if you sell it with the ECU.
G-force

Post by G-force »

Could you tell me where the other end of the motec loom ends up? I'm thinking about what I need to do to pull it out safely.

Oh, and would a rev1/2 N/A or turbo ecu loom work exactly the same aswell?

I've been told rev 3 turbo ecu looms cost loads!
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

The other end of the MoTeC loom ends up all over the engine bay, connected to all your sensors etc. Just follow the loom the engine bay and discoonect everything in a logical fashion.

Use the loom that matches your car - save up your pocket money.
steve b

Post by steve b »

:cyclops: :-k :neutral:

Why.

p.s. I've read what you've posted it makes no sense.

It doesn't sound like the motecs at fault, the motec will have its loom wired in above the OEM plugs, just un-plug the motec and plug in the OEM ecu and it probably still won't work properly. Sounds more like you've a huge boost leak.

You'd be far better off taking it to someone who knows about the MR2 and the Motec and if needed just get a quick remap. Dave Rowe would probably have it all sorted for an hours labour and it'll run much better on the Motec than OEM ECU if the boosts wound to give you 300bhp, the OEM ecu will be running you far to rich at the top end the Motec mapped will fix this.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
G-force

Post by G-force »

I figured the motec and stock ecu will have different plugs. I'll check tonight.

Can you give me Dave Rowe's contact details. Is he a member here? Where is his workshop?
steve b

Post by steve b »

They will, but when being fitted they won't have cut your old ones off, they will have spliced the MoTeC loom into the existing loom just ahead of the OEM plugs so you'll have plugs for both ECUs. You won't need to remove the MoTeC loom to run your OEM ecu. The motec plugs will just hang in free space connected to nothing.

I don't know any mapper / ecu fitter who'd do it differently. Only time youd build a new loom is to fit to a bare engine say in a transplant. i.e. an Audi V8 in a mk1 MR2.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
G-force

Post by G-force »

steve b wrote:They will, but when being fitted they won't have cut your old ones off, they will have spliced the MoTeC loom into the existing loom just ahead of the OEM plugs so you'll have plugs for both ECUs. You won't need to remove the MoTeC loom to run your OEM ecu. The motec plugs will just hang in free space connected to nothing.

I don't know any mapper / ecu fitter who'd do it differently. Only time youd build a new loom is to fit to a bare engine say in a transplant. i.e. an Audi V8 in a mk1 MR2.

steve b, you are right. The old plugs were still there but they were plugged into an intermediate motec box unit, maybe an adaptor.

However, having put on the stock ecu, I went for a drive, let it warm up to the middle gauage and then full throttled it. At around 4800rpm, the engine just seemed to simply cut off, the revs, cut off and the car just jerked and slowed down. It was as if there was no boost at all and it felt like there was a blockage. Obviously there was no blockage.

I put the motec back in there and the car went back to the usual boost kicking in at 4500rpm! Man, I was a little worried think what have I done! But im back to square one.

Out of curiousity, the ecu I bought off here says 3S-GT on it. Does that suggest its an N/A ecu? I asked the guy and he did say it was a rev 3 turbo ecu. I thought the turbo ecu was 3S-GTE? someone explain please? and also what is going wrong with the rev cut off with the stock ecu?

*edit* this one on ebay is a 3S-GT which is also advertised as a rev 3 turbo ecu: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-Turbo- ... 240%3A1318

im still bewildered with the rev cut off. even the build up to that point seemed very slow as opposed to the motec delivery.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

steve b wrote:Only time youd build a new loom is to fit to a bare engine say in a transplant. i.e. an Audi V8 in a mk1 MR2.

Why? Where this is no p & p adaptor, e.g. MoTeC or Haltech, our customers have nearly always opted for a new loom from the ECU manufacturer to be hard-wired in.
steve b

Post by steve b »

So you pull out the factory loom and re-wire to all the sensors? I'd be furious if I gave you my car and you butchered the OEM loom like that.

Normal way is just splicing into the loom next to the OEM ECU plug, has the benefits of :-

A) You can pop the OEM ECU back in in a second

B) Pin diagrams are easily available so you can find the right wire in seconds

C) All your crimping or soldering is in the same place

p.s. looks like your wrong re the motec adaper, the OP just said his has an adapter.

G-force

Post by G-force »

If it was an adaptor, I wouldn't expected to be motec branded though, maybe I'm wrong. But the oem plugs were going into it and then from the other end, the wiring went into the motec ecu.

Once you both have had your ecu war, any chance you could tell me why my car was behaving as it was with the stock ecu?

I wanna say thanks, by the way, to everyones help so far.
steve b

Post by steve b »

G-force wrote:If it was an adaptor, I wouldn't expected to be motec branded though, maybe I'm wrong. But the oem plugs were going into it and then from the other end, the wiring went into the motec ecu.

Once you both have had your ecu war, any chance you could tell me why my car was behaving as it was with the stock ecu?

Thats an Adapter, i'd expect any adapter for a specific ECU to br made by that ECU company. Mave Dave Rowe made it for the previous owner, hes done loads of MR2's. Ryan was making Link adapters for rev3's and sticking a big Link sticker on them, maybe he made it?

Nothings wrong with either ECU as I said previously you have an un-related problem. I'd say your motec is there so you can run very raised boost, someone went to a lot of expense with that motec, they didn't do it for no reason. Your boost maybe raised by any manner of methods, stronger actuator, manual boost controller, electronic boost controller any way more than the stock ECU will allow, you hit boost cut.

You possibly have a non standard big ass turbo fitted hence the no boost untill 4500rpm.

No one will know unless you can give a lot more details of your setup.
Last edited by steve b on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modifications”