M3

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

matt_mr2t

Re: M3

Post by matt_mr2t »

Funny, just thinking about it, a number of mates have had them but only ever been in one - once.

It was a yellow E36 Evo convertable. It was a little sluggish off the line but once it was moving it pulled very hard up to the redline.

Had another mate with a hard topped E36 non evo.

Another one (who was about 20 when he got it) with an E46 M3 convertable - brand new - lotto win!

And lastly a mate who currently owns an E46 CSL who is younger than me but comes from a minted family. I want to be his b1tch one day.
I need to get him to come by my way with that thing, they're pretty awsome I'm told.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

mattcambs wrote:Trouble is, Lauren, that what you mostly see inside the E36s now has a baseball cap on top :roll:

Shame.

I'm not so sure that is actually the case. I must admit I couldn't care less about 'image' a good car is a good car in my eyes. I really do think most of the perceived images of other makes of cars eminating from places such as here are mostly urban myths anyway and all in the perception of the beholder.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

benedwards64 wrote:I always prefered these

...especially the AC Schnitzer versions 8)

I do love the E30 M3 too. They do have a stonking reputation too. Only thing I worry about is that they may well be a bit more outclassed as technology has progressed so far in the last 20 years.

One of these was (might still be) on my wishlist, but I think getting the intergra R may make an E30 M3 feel like a backwards step now (maybe should have done it the other way round?).. jury still out etc.
Ben

Post by Ben »

My dad had an imported AC Schnitzer E30, which really was fantastic. It was a D-reg, with over 200k km on the clock and it still pulled like a train. Had AC suspension, exhaust and gearbox (dog-leg first). Unfortunately, he sold it before I got a chance to drive it, but as a passenger it certainly felt very quick. I think the only problem he had with it, apart from being lhd, was that there wasn't much low-down grunt.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Lauren wrote:
mattcambs wrote:Trouble is, Lauren, that what you mostly see inside the E36s now has a baseball cap on top :roll:

Shame.

I'm not so sure that is actually the case. I must admit I couldn't care less about 'image' a good car is a good car in my eyes. I really do think most of the perceived images of other makes of cars eminating from places such as here are mostly urban myths anyway and all in the perception of the beholder.

Obviously a generalisation as I know two people with E36 M3s, both professionals over 30, but the E36 shape 3 series is on the whole is tainted by the amount of sh1tters now hooning about
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Have to say, dont really hear too many chav bmw stories.

More often than not it's reps and middle management types that think because they own a beemer they're entitled to drive how they wish and of course, if it's a new beemer it must be faster than any old cars...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

mattcambs wrote:
Obviously a generalisation as I know two people with E36 M3s, both professionals over 30, but the E36 shape 3 series is on the whole is tainted by the amount of sh1tters now hooning about

Hmm I don't think having a decent M3 that it's going to 'tainted' by that?

That's like saying all mk2 mr2s that are in a rough state of repair mean that all good mk2 mr2s are 'tainted' by that.

Surely people don't really care about such things?
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

You'd be surprised Lauren!

There are some hideously vain people out there that care more about what people think of them then their actual car.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

benedwards64 wrote:My dad had an imported AC Schnitzer E30, which really was fantastic. It was a D-reg, with over 200k km on the clock and it still pulled like a train. Had AC suspension, exhaust and gearbox (dog-leg first). Unfortunately, he sold it before I got a chance to drive it, but as a passenger it certainly felt very quick. I think the only problem he had with it, apart from being lhd, was that there wasn't much low-down grunt.

The dog leg box was a standard thing, nothing to do with Schnitzer.
ryan

Post by ryan »

I was chasing one of those M3 CSls 2 yrs ago at llandow, and i just couldnt gain anything on it at all, the noise was lovely
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:You'd be surprised Lauren!

There are some hideously vain people out there that care more about what people think of them then their actual car.

They are absolute and utter dim witted idiots or they are teenagers who haven't got that far yet. The only lesson in life that you hope people learn is that it matters not what others think. Worry about those that matter and not those that don't etc..
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Lauren wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:You'd be surprised Lauren!

They are absolute and utter dim witted idiots or they are teenagers who haven't got that far yet. The only lesson in life that you hope people learn is that it matters not what others think. Worry about those that matter and not those that don't etc..

For once I couldnt agree with you more.
Although I think a lot of dick heads drive BMW's it certainly wouldnt stop me from getting one should I so wish.

If people think I'm a dick head then so be it. Doesnt bother me, I dont even know them so why should I care?
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Slarty wrote:
benedwards64 wrote:My dad had an imported AC Schnitzer E30, which really was fantastic. It was a D-reg, with over 200k km on the clock and it still pulled like a train. Had AC suspension, exhaust and gearbox (dog-leg first). Unfortunately, he sold it before I got a chance to drive it, but as a passenger it certainly felt very quick. I think the only problem he had with it, apart from being lhd, was that there wasn't much low-down grunt.

The dog leg box was a standard thing, nothing to do with Schnitzer.

Dog leg is not standard but was an option. I had a dog leg on my M535i ratios were great for racing but pants for cruising changed it for the stock gearbox gained about 13mpg
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Tiny wrote:
Dog leg is not standard but was an option. I had a dog leg on my M535i ratios were great for racing but pants for cruising changed it for the stock gearbox gained about 13mpg

I think the point Slarty is making is that on the E30 M3 the dog leg box was standard ie it was simply the OEM box fitted to the E30 M3. An M535i is a different car entirely.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

E30-- one of the best cars ever built
E36-- dull euro rep mobile that grips and has lots of power.

Before I got back into MR2's I test drove a 1998 E36 1 owner car FSH minter abd could not belive how dull it was :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

nikaiyo wrote:E30-- one of the best cars ever built

Before I got back into MR2's I test drove a 1998 E36 1 owner car FSH minter abd could not belive how dull it was :thumleft:

Hmm. Well I wouldn't call it dull. The E36 is not overly highly rated like say the E30 or E46. However though it does have a lot of grip, it's actually got a fairly well balanced chassis. I had a lot of fun going sideways in mine, though I was fortunate in having an LSD.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Lauren wrote:
nikaiyo wrote:E30-- one of the best cars ever built

Hmm. Well I wouldn't call it dull. The E36 is not overly highly rated like say the E30 or E46. However though it does have a lot of grip, it's actually got a fairly well balanced chassis. I had a lot of fun going sideways in mine, though I was fortunate in having an LSD.

I am not saying they are bad cars, they do everything well, but in quite a clinical way if you know what i mean, its like BMW ticked all the boxes when designing them but forgot the "grin" factor.

Lol I bet you had loads f fun going sideways, will give it a try next time i am on a test drive lol :thumleft: :thumleft:
Burger

Post by Burger »

Ok, I am going to get slated for saying this but what the hell :lol:

Some talk of BM's been "chaved" and yes some are, but what about some "2"'s that have the big spoilers, fancy/loud exhausts ect ect, some of us are just as bad.

Personally I really like BM and allways have, I have had couple of 525's over the years (E34), a 523 (E39), and a 325 (E36). I would love an M3 and still seriously thinking about it.

But like Matt said, and in my opinion too, BM are a superior car in all/most aspects.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Burger wrote:But like Matt said, and in my opinion too, BM are a superior car in all/most aspects.

If you were comparing an MR2 to a NEW M3, M5 etc then you may be right. But if your comparing to the older gen M3s...then why is this true?
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'd say out of the factory at the times of building the M3 has always been an overall better car than a standard MR2. And note, I said out of the factory. So that doesnt include a standard M3 Vs a tuned tubby.

E30 M3 came out when the Mk1 MR2 was about.
E36 M3 came out when the Mk2 was about (or there abouts)
E46 while the mk2 was still about
Latest one the Mk3 had been and gone.

Return to “Driving Experiences”