M3

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

johnp

Re: M3

Post by johnp »

ekona wrote:If you can see all exits on a roundabout are completely clear, how is luck if you decide to get the ar$e-end out? No-one would do it on a bit of road where there is any blind spots at all, but if you can see fully around you then I'm not sure I can see where luck plays a part.

It's obvious isn't it? When a car goes in to oversteer it is inherently unstable,Fact.Driving skill allows you to control that instability up to a point but never with 100% certainty...put it another way,when a skid starts no-one can predict or control it inch perfect,so if the back end steps out a metre more than you anticipated you may be OK,but on the other hand it may mean you clip a kerb and....???
Run-off areas and gravel traps are quite rare on public roads.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

I'd argue that oversteer isn't inherently unstable as long as the car is balanced. There's more chance of losing that balance than if the car isn't sliding, but I wouldn't say it's unbalanced.

You could quite easily clip a kerb when not sliding anyway and just driving quickly, or even if driving perfectly normally and the bloke coming towards you starts doing something silly that forces you to take action, or... You get the idea. Driving is dangerous, but it's also bloody good fun.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

johnp wrote:I don't think I've moved the goal posts,I ALWAYS talk about road driving and I was taking it as a given that the driver is advanced enough to have learned the rudiments of skid control.
I'm not talking about straightlining roundabouts either ,I always do this when I am certain no other traffic is around.
So I note you will continue to provoke oversteer as and when and I am sure your skill will be more than adequate to control your car ...but let's hope you can control your luck as well.

Skid control does not mean you have learnt all about car control there is far more to it than just going on a skidpan.

I don't believe in luck. :tongue:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
johnp

Post by johnp »

Lauren wrote:
johnp wrote:I don't think I've moved the goal posts,I ALWAYS talk about road driving and I was taking it as a given that the driver is advanced enough to have learned the rudiments of skid control.
I'm not talking about straightlining roundabouts either ,I always do this when I am certain no other traffic is around.
So I note you will continue to provoke oversteer as and when and I am sure your skill will be more than adequate to control your car ...but let's hope you can control your luck as well.

Skid control does not mean you have learnt all about car control there is far more to it than just going on a skidpan.

I don't believe in luck. :tongue:

Well,you will need luck ,especially if you meet Ekona coming the other way. :)
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

mr2nut123 wrote:Not sure, ask Kongaroo :lol:

Hey don't drag me into it, lol.

If I remember correctly 'trackdayqueen' was something Lauren used to have in her IMOC signature a few years ago.

The driving experiences threads always end up with the same arguments being made by the same guys so many people (including me) nowadays CBA to comment :lol:

Btw I caught a video of Lauren driving in Europe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buZ5407L718

When questioned by police later she assured them it was safe as the road was clear at the time :tongue:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

:lol: :clap:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Kongaroo wrote:
Btw I caught a video of Lauren driving in Europe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buZ5407L718

When questioned by police later she assured them it was safe as the road was clear at the time :tongue:

LOL! Well much as I have been known to drift the odd roundabout, I wouldn't be doing it quite in that situation. Fairly well held though. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Kongaroo wrote:

Hey don't drag me into it, lol.

lmao! :lol: :mrgreen:

Return to “Driving Experiences”