What is it with people?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

splashnatz

Re: What is it with people?

Post by splashnatz »

yep, both amber and red mean stop.
craig

Post by craig »

michael wrote:
RedMR² wrote:
Anyone have similar encounters with people who can't drive?

People who don't know that amber means stop you mean? O:)

:lol:

I did know that actually, but you don't get points for "running an amber" though do you? And lets be honest, how many people stop at amber when there's plenty of time before it goes to red?

You're just being pedantic as ever :)
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

RedMR² wrote:

but you don't get points for "running an amber" though do you?

I'm afraid you can, one of my mates got points and fine for said offence.
craig

Post by craig »

BarronMR wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

but you don't get points for "running an amber" though do you?

I'm afraid you can, one of my mates got points and fine for said offence.

oh my god, I've heard it all now. Imagine if everyone got points for running amber :shock:

How is it even an offence :?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

From the Highway Code:

'AMBER means stop at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that pull up might cause an accident.'

In short, if you nail it as soon as you see an amber light you can be done for it. You're not allowed to drive through a red + amber (i.e. just before green) either.
michael

Post by michael »

RedMR² wrote:
oh my god, I've heard it all now. Imagine if everyone got points for running amber :shock:

Group buy on the Highway Code?
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The difference between those examples though and this topic is that squeezing through on amber doesnt cause any harm as the lights on the other side will be red until the lights have fully turned to red on your side.

And I was being sarcastic when I said "last time I checked" - I've never checked lol.
craig

Post by craig »

michael wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

Group buy on the Highway Code?

So you're telling me you religously stop at every amber?

Thought not.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Maybe he does. With the correct amount of planning you should never leave yourself in a position where you can 'run an amber'.
michael

Post by michael »

RedMR² wrote:

Only when it's safe to do so O:)

I'm far from perfect in reality but I do make an effort to stop if it doesn't involve slamming the brakes on because I value my back bumper and chances are the person behind me is planning to keep going even if I'm not.

There is a big roundabout near home that's been setup to have the lights go green as soon as the others go amber, a spirited start usually sees you with the chance to crash into at least 3 cars that have decided to run the gauntlet. I know how it's setup and what to expect so I avoid drag starts, judging by the number of crashes on there though not everyone does.

So I try to behave but I'm only human (a shock to some I know ;))
craig

Post by craig »

michael wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

Only when it's safe to do so O:)

I'm far from perfect in reality but I do make an effort to stop if it doesn't involve slamming the brakes on because I value my back bumper and chances are the person behind me is planning to keep going even if I'm not.

I'd agree with that :thumleft:

maybe not so about you being human though :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
pcp

Post by pcp »

BarronMR wrote:

They also have been know to do a full loop of roundabout before taking straight on exit, I think I might be tempted to pull out onto roundabout if they did it in front of me.

well if you do then be prepared to lose your NCB, even if somebody admitted to driving right round the roundabout it isn't a crime, and even if it were you're not the cops, think you're allowed to drive round a roundabout 3 times before it's considered an offence.
poser

Post by poser »

What gets me most is that since I got rid of my MR2 (just biding my time until I get another, which is why I'm still here), I've had to drive the other half's Fabia.

You wouldn't believe how much more you get cut up/pulled out in front of while driving a family hatchback. It's like a magnet for xxxx drivers. Not sure what this is down to - presumably people aren't as likely to try their luck at pulling out in front of a sports car.

The missus is a timid driver, too, so she gets it even worse. I'm trying to coach some healthy aggression into her (nothing bad, just to stop you being treated like a b1tch in and around Newcastle) but she won't have it.
Nails

Post by Nails »

the same round here. You sit at a T junction, waiting to turn right and everyone tries to take your front end off looking at you like your in their way, when infact had they indicated at all or at least more than 2 feet away you'd of been able to pull out and they wouldnt of had to steer round the corner properly. They should remember what it was like before powersteering lol.
Every one drives at 20mph, stops at every roundabout when theres no one there, straadles every lane but the one they should be in, and like poser says above its even worse when your in a normal car, when Im driving the 106 every one wont let you out incase you hold them up in your 'little old car' and everyone else makes a big deal in overtaking you off the lights etc in dual lanes into one, manage to get in front, and then do 20mph anyway.
Theres another 60mph road near mine which theres a junction halfway in it(roads about 3 miles long, fast B road) which they insist on pulling out on you even though your less than 200 feet from them and you have to slow down to around 30mph if your lucky or less, and then sit at 40mph because they dont know what speed limit it is?

gggggrrrrrrrrrr all day with stuff like this.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I know what you mean, but if you think that's bad try driving around in a van. I'm a delivery driver for a large supermarket chain, driving a 3.5tonner round the countryside. People ALWAYS pull out in front of you, no matter how fast or slow they then drive, and yet you can't get out of a junction for love nor money. And then you meet them on a narrow country road, and they have a go because I'm not the one who reverses half a mile down the road to a psssing space whan there's one right behind them in their little supermini, all the while I can't even tell if there's a car immediately behind me I'm about to crush ](*,)
I tell you, I always thought of white van man as a group of idiots, but now I sympathise with them! Everyone tries to get in front of you, then drives around at two thirds of the speed limit obviously not realising that I have a schedule to keep to!
The bloody thing's limited to 60mph as well, which means I usually get stuck behind either a lorry or an old biddy doing 58 on a dual carriageway and can't overtake them!
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

One of my pet hates are middle lane drivers. 55-60 mph middle lane on 3 laned motorways. There being undertaken by lorries, traffics buildin up to overtake and they still sit there la de da da :evil: Gets on my nerves so much! or people who go to overtake, but are only going 1 maybe 2 mph faster than the car there tryin to overtake. Get round, get in. #-o
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

pcp wrote:
BarronMR wrote:

They also have been know to do a full loop of roundabout before taking straight on exit, I think I might be tempted to pull out onto roundabout if they did it in front of me.

well if you do then be prepared to lose your NCB, even if somebody admitted to driving right round the roundabout it isn't a crime, and even if it were you're not the cops, think you're allowed to drive round a roundabout 3 times before it's considered an offence.

ha, remember a mate of mine was one one of them "road wars" or similar type programs, ones with traffic cops camera/cctv stuff.
he was driving round & round an empty small roundabout at night waiting for a friend who got stuck at some traffic lights behind as this guy didn't know where he was going and was following them. narrator guy on show was like "look at these muppets, obviously lost & commiting an offence by circling a roundabout messing about" or something similar! LOL
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

I remember once I was in the left hand lane at some lights (which were green) going straight on, with the right hand lane queued back about ten cars to turn right (on red).

As I drove forward, a Scooby pulled out of the stopped right hand lane, straight in front of me, and pushed back in about ten cars along, at the front of the right hand lane, in front of the 'stop' line. What a w@nky move!

As I passed him in my left hand lane (cos my lane was green), I looked at the meathead driver and just shook my head. With his missus and child in the car, he leaned right out of his driver's window and called me every name under the sun - c-word and all! :shock:

All that in front of his kid! It properly shook me up cos I was shocked at how agressive he became just cos I looked at him. Shameful :(
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

ppre89 wrote:One of my pet hates are middle lane drivers. 55-60 mph middle lane on 3 laned motorways. There being undertaken by lorries, traffics buildin up to overtake and they still sit there la de da da :evil: Gets on my nerves so much! or people who go to overtake, but are only going 1 maybe 2 mph faster than the car there tryin to overtake. Get round, get in. #-o

On the way back from the London Tunnel run, M25 at midnight, no other cars on the road. I come up to the back of a 5 series beemer doing 65 in the outside lane.

I don't want to undetake, so I flash and wait about three car lengths behind.

Nothing. So I flash again. Nothing.

So I toot my horn. Nothing.

So I (ashamed to admit it) drive up to her bumper, lights on full beem, hand on horn. Twenty seconds pass, nothing.

So I undertake her, give her a toot, and it's two Asian women, with the female driver sitting so close to the wheel her boobs must have been through the middle of it. Neither of them seem the slightest bit aware of me. Just eyes glued to the road.

I pull away from them, and about 30 seconds later, they indicate and leave at the next exit!!!!

Why the F! were you hogging the outside lane if you are turning off soon anyway!

So, that's my pet peeve. Drivers who hog the outside lane, drive too slow in that lane, then are turning off soon anyway. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by Olly P on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Don't you just love people that can't take responsibility for their actions ](*,)

The number of times I've slammed on the brakes and horn avoiding an accident due to said morons - and what do I get - a "Thank you for not crashing into and injuring me and saving my no-claims bonus for me driving like a loon" ??? No, they give me the finger instead :-k

Return to “Driving Experiences”