MR2 Roadsters to Join MR2 Championship in 2009

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

MR2 Roadsters to Join MR2 Championship in 2009

Post by Rogue »

Hi All,

Just thought I'd let you know that the MR2 Roadster / MR-S will be introduced into the 750MC MR2 championship in 2009. The first car - my own - is currently being built with two others scheduled for over the winter. It's likely that my car will get it's first shakedown race at Mallory Park on 26th December.

The minimum weight for the Roadster will be 1000kgs including fuel and driver, giving it a power to weight ratio of 138bhp/ton. This compares favourably with the mk2 class at 143bhp/ton and it is anticipated that given the Roadster has a limited slip differential and the other classes do not, they will be very close on track.

The 750MC MR2 Championship is open to all normally aspirated iterations of the Toyota MR2, and enjoyed packed grids during the 2008 season. In 2009 the intention is to split the entrants by class across two grids, with the mk1s and mk2s racing separately and the mk3 initially joining the mk2 race.

The MR2 Championship is also very keen to involve MR2 clubs in it's activities, so if IMOC-UK is interested in organising a presence at race meetings then please do get in touch. Maybe you could even consider marshalling at MR2 Championship rounds to gain free entry to the circuit and some of the best viewing seats available!

For more information, have a look at the MR2 Championship website:

http://www.mr2championship.com

Cheers,

Patrick
revturbo

Re: MR2 Roadsters to Join MR2 Championship in 2009

Post by revturbo »

I remember you mentioning a turbo class quite a while ago.
How far did this get?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Hi Richard,

I want to get the Roadster class established this year before I move on to sorting something out with the turbos. The speed differentials would be such that I wouldn't want to run the turbo and normally aspirated classes together so they would have to be standalone races. In order to do that I would need to know that I could start the season with at least ten mk2 turbos and the promise of more joining during the season.

I think there does need to be a progression path for those people who are racing in the MR2 Championship and fancy moving on to something a bit faster. The advantage here is that their cars can be upgraded with turbo engines rather than sold and replaced with complete new cars. The regulations would need to be very carefully thought out though as turbo cars are notoriously difficult to police...

Maybe something to consider for 2010.

Patrick
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

if anybody is looking to race an mr2 turbo in 2009 i suggest you contact steve vince at red dragon race and track club,he will be running a turbo section within the nippon challenge,g t s chris ran one this year (untill he rolled it at pembrey ) he was well on the pace,
contacts:::

www.nipponchallenge.co.uk
----------------------------------
www.sarahwherryracing.com
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

There are quite a few series where an MR2 turbo could race and be competitive - I'm giving some thought to running one in the CSCC Future Classics series next year. Forty minute races with a compulsory pit stop and optional driver change. It's great fun - I did the inaugural races in my Championship car in 2007 - the turbos would be very competitive in standard trim and you can buddy up with another driver to share costs.

I wouldn't recommend the Nippon Challenge to a beginner as the speed differentials between the cars can be immense. With very little limit on modifications it's also open to cheque book racing, where the more money you throw at the car the more chance you stand of winning. You'd need to put a lot into an MR2 turbo to find yourself at the front of the grid and the car would be an absolute animal to drive. My advice would be to build up some racing experience before joining a series like this.

That said, if your looking to race an MR2 in anything give us a shout and we can tailor a package to suit you. We're currently considering some European races for 2009 as well!

Patrick
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Hi Patrick,

The MRS will be a great addition to the MR2 Championship. :D

One question - Will such cars be expected to race with the rollcage exposed as per MX5's, or will they need to wear a hardtop? Or will that be up to the individual?

Getting soaking wet in the rain might put some people off! ;)

Cheers,
Rich.
:thumleft:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Hi Rich,

Squizz wrote:One question - Will such cars be expected to race with the rollcage exposed as per MX5's, or will they need to wear a hardtop? Or will that be up to the individual?

Getting soaking wet in the rain might put some people off! ;)

You'll be able to race with either the hard top, soft top or no top at all! I'm ditching the soft top entirely on mine and will do some testing to see if running with the roof off is detrimental to lap times as I really fancy having a go topless. I suspect I'll end up running with the hard top installed at most meetings though.

Patrick
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Rogue wrote:
You'll be able to race with either the hard top, soft top or no top at all! I'm ditching the soft top entirely on mine and will do some testing to see if running with the roof off is detrimental to lap times as I really fancy having a go topless. I suspect I'll end up running with the hard top installed at most meetings though.

Patrick

Ben reckons that the car is far stiffer with the hardtop on so he generally uses the hard top fixed for when he does trackdays.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Lauren wrote:Ben reckons that the car is far stiffer with the hardtop on so he generally uses the hard top fixed for when he does trackdays.

I would agree that the hardtop may marginally improve rigidity on a road car, but this will be negated by the massive improvement the roll cage will give in a race car! I imagine the criteria for hardtop use will be based around aerodynamics, weight and weather!

Patrick
System-G

Post by System-G »

All sounding Good - Keep us updated :thumleft:

Who are you doing Mallory with on the 26th? Is it a test day or track day?
May pop over for a bit :)
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

System-G wrote:Who are you doing Mallory with on the 26th? Is it a test day or track day?
May pop over for a bit :)

It's a raceday! BARC's Plum Pudding Event:

http://www.barc.net/regional_centres/midlands/

:thumleft:

Patrick
System-G

Post by System-G »

:shock:
Winter racing :shock:

What's that all about :lol: :clown:

Might have to pop along to offer some spectator support since I definately know I won't be playing with the Caterhams :)
System-G

Post by System-G »

Balls, just realised we missed the race on the 26th - and we were looking for something to do! ](*,)
WillJohnson

Post by WillJohnson »

If you mean Mallory Plum Pudding, it was all pretty uneventful really... :wink:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5D40408uFhw

No human-beings were hurt - only cheque-books....

Cheers JOHN
MR2 no 7 - blink and you'll miss it bypassing the initial incident!

Lee, following later in No 5 also escaped damage!
System-G

Post by System-G »

:shock:

Ouch
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Oooh looks expensive. :shock:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Rogue wrote:
Lauren wrote:Ben reckons that the car is far stiffer with the hardtop on so he generally uses the hard top fixed for when he does trackdays.

I would agree that the hardtop may marginally improve rigidity on a road car, but this will be negated by the massive improvement the roll cage will give in a race car! I imagine the criteria for hardtop use will be based around aerodynamics, weight and weather!

Patrick

Great to hear there will be some Mk3's racing there - some unscientific trackday testing between a Mk1 and my Mk3 ( both 2 up ) showed there was no difference in straight line speed between them, but with the standard LSD it should make things interesting on the tighter courses.

As for hard-tops vs Soft top - the difference is in the feedback via the steering. I've got a TRD front suspension top brace plus a Corky's an underbody brace and they make a big difference to the quality of the steering feedback. Putting the hard-top on makes the car much more rigid - plus I prefer to do trackdays with a hard-top on anyway, just in case ...

I look forwards to seeing lots of close racing :+:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Must agree, on a standard car (even a late one like I had) the difference between hard top/no hard top is very noticable in terms of the steering and general rigidness of the car.

But I would expect a full cage to iron that out in the race version! Will be interesting to see them race.
T

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”