Calling Janspeed owners or listeners!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Project_AW11

Calling Janspeed owners or listeners!

Post by Project_AW11 »

Just fitted a Janspeed exhaust to my MR2, everything seems fine, no blowing or obvious vibrations. I'm quite happy with the sound and everything but... between 2-3000 rmp I'm getting a very loud exhaust note, almost sounding like a huge vibration which im not too keen on :silent: . Is this normal? I heard there was something a few people cut off as it interfered with this system but i didnt seem to find anything like that whist fitting it.....

Any ideas guys?
Cheers
MartG

Re: Calling Janspeed owners or listeners!

Post by MartG »

Both Janspeeds I had in the past had a resonance between 2000 - 3000 rpm, and again in the power band from around 4500 to 6000 rpm
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

My mild steel Janspeed system has a rasp that starts at about 1500-2000 rpm, I love it ;)

I am a fully signed-up member of the "rev for no reason" crew or should that be Krew! ;)

If you want I will try and get a recording of it.
first-footer

Post by first-footer »

Mine has the same noise at 2000 you'll get used to it !! (eventualy)
Project_AW11

Post by Project_AW11 »

cheers for the responses guys, i think i was just paranoid about the baffles being gone or something... and ive never heard a noise liek that from such a innocent looknig system :twisted: I'm getting some little backfires too which i do actually love! Just seems such a mental noise for 2-3 (which is the most used in eco driving :-k ) Sounds really good at higher rpm though for sure!
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Yes mine does this too, i get a raspy noise at 2.5k. i find the exhaust sounds better the hotter it gets.
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

I had one on my previous T-Bar, very raspy and once hot when I came off the throttle it would pop very loudly and make old folk soil themselves :lol:
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

Sorry, after checking, you are correct, my Janspeed is most "Manly" between 2.5k (Raspy) to 3k (rasp/boom).

If you feather the throttle, whilst eco driving, it's not 2 bad, and I have found you can avoid it most of the time, like when I gave my mum a lift, by changing gear at the appropriate time.

It's not the best companion on a long trip ;)
Last edited by boyzdad on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Project_AW11

Post by Project_AW11 »

yeaah i get you, ive changed my mind after afew days of it..i love it now i can make it properly pop on command now :twisted: haha yeah but if you get the revs wrong you get the horrible drone ! ](*,)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”