How awfully frustrating - Help needed!!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mlhs

How awfully frustrating - Help needed!!

Post by mlhs »

Hey everyone,
to my great joy i went to go to the gym only to find my drivers side rear quarter glass smashed door semi ajar and quarter panel with a large dent in it just under the window or lack of in this case. Nothing taken small change still in side of the door nothing from the boot glovebox still closed. Maybe someone scared them off? or just plain vandalism. Anyway where is the best place to get a replacement window sorted asap? and any idea of how much it will cost? im in sheffield atm at uni so anyone local that could recommend somewhere would be great. Also whats the access like to sort out the dent can you remove the vent to access it from underneath?
any help greatly appreciated
Marc
eRATic

Re: How awfully frustrating - Help needed!!

Post by eRATic »

ebay might be best for the glass. sometimes you wish they had broken and dented the door and main window. at least it is easier to repair.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

ebay my friend find a car being broken. Bloody shame and very annoying when it happens
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Your in luck YOU have PM :mrgreen:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

This is an attempt theft - They break the quarterlight as its much less obvious and loud when it goes. Probably looking for a TomTom or similar - check your windscreen for sucker marks. It's shockingly fast - under 10 seconds usually. The dent is probably from a poorly aimed first attempt.

I keep a 99p Morrisons road map on display in my car. Shows I'm too cheap to have a tom tom!
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

WeirdNeville wrote:This is an attempt theft - They break the quarterlight as its much less obvious and loud when it goes. Probably looking for a TomTom or similar - check your windscreen for sucker marks. It's shockingly fast - under 10 seconds usually. The dent is probably from a poorly aimed first attempt.

I keep a 99p Morrisons road map on display in my car. Shows I'm too cheap to have a tom tom!

A good idea Neville but the scum will probably do it for for the fun :mad:
Worth trying though :thumleft:
mlhs

Post by mlhs »

I would understand that but i don't own a sat nav i have a map. i leave the glovebox open to show nothing in there there was nothing to steal apart from a couple a £ in loose change for the parking which i keep in the door but nothing was taken. I have it booked into autoglass tomorrow aternoon £60 but having to go through insurance no claims arent affected so no problems. Got a quote of £256.80 or something if i didn't have fully comp what a joke!!! Just very irritating if i found these little swines (apparently not allowed to have swear words but blocked out) they would have no effing hands left and maybe only one knee cap :evil:
I can only dream that i find them....
eRATic

Post by eRATic »

check your excess out mate. most of the time you will have to pay out the first £250 but it depends on the company. when claiming on insurance you will have to pay the excess to the company carrying out the repair and the insurance company will pay the rest.

if this is the case i am sure the thieving little b*****ds have put a load of rust over the back of the rear arches that you should be claiming for as well.
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

My insurance excess is £10 if it is a repair, £75 if it is a replacement.
Blue1984

Post by Blue1984 »

eRATic wrote:check your excess out mate. most of the time you will have to pay out the first £250 but it depends on the company. when claiming on insurance you will have to pay the excess to the company carrying out the repair and the insurance company will pay the rest.

if this is the case i am sure the thieving little b*****ds have put a load of rust over the back of the rear arches that you should be claiming for as well.

You only pay an excess of £250 or similar if you are claiming under the Accidental Damage, Fire, Theft or Vandalism claim on a policy.

The £60 xs mlhs is referring to is for a claim under the additional glass & windscreen cover most Insurers give you if you are fully Comprehensive.

You can only claim for damage caused by an insured peril from an insurance policy - rust over the back of the rear arches will clearly be considered a gradually operating cause & insurance isnt for that.

Yes I sound boring, but I've done Motor & Household Insurance claims for over 5 years! :thumleft:
My girl is a MK1(b) Sunroof Model 1.6L

I'm a female MK1 driver.
eRATic

Post by eRATic »

is a dented panel covered under the glass cover?

and with regard to the rusty arches i am well aware that it is not covered under insurance but was being facetious.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”