Ashley Goodfield,beware.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Ashley Goodfield,beware.

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Right ive held back making this thread for some time now to give Mr Goodfield every chance to redeem himself,but i think its only fair to post this to other mk1 club members in case he rips anyone else off.

Ashley is a mk1 club member and is well known to a few of you within the club.He contacted me over 18 months ago asking me to restore his white tintop auto.I agreed and he drove the car up to woodsport.The car was here for a few weeks before work started but sadly one of our staff left leaving us unable to do the work straight away.Ashley said this was not a problem because he was having money issues and could not afford to have it carried out anyway.At this point we did no work to the car,nobody owed anything and i expected ashley to come collect his car.

The car sat outside my premises for a further 6 months without any reply from ashley,all attempts to contact him failed.I was informed by the industrial estate manager that if any car was being stored outside the unit and NOT being worked on that i would need to pay a storage fee for it as it breached the terms of my contract,they accept a few cars outside at any given time,we are a busy garage after all,but long term storage is not accepted.

I tried again over the following year to contact ashley with no joy,ignored every single email and phone call.Meanwhile i was being told there were big fees being incurred for this car being stored.

Finally 2 months ago ashley rang me out of the blue saying he wanted to come collect his car,i told him about the storage charge and he said he wouldnt pay it,i said well im not paying it,its not my car and you have left it here abandoned for the last 16 months without even a phone call.I told him the storage would have to be paid before the car could be released.

Ashley then rang me back the next day and told me he had decided to sell the car to cover the storage fees and was very apologetic,i suspected nothing.He then said the buyer needed to see the car before paying for it (obviously) but wasnt prepared to travel to durham.Ashley asked if i could do him the biggest of all favours and pay the storage charge for him so that his car would be released and he swore on his life he would repay me as soon as he got the car back to wales.

Now some might call me soft or too gullible but i agreed to help him out,i personally paid £750 of my own money in storage fees to release his car.Ashely came for it the next weekend with a trailer (the brakes had all seized on,alternator siezed etc,car had sat for so long!) ,he again promised me a cheque would be sent up within a week of getting the car home.

Well its now about 3 months on,ashley is comletely blanking me,im £750 out of pocket and feel like a right mug.Ashley took advantage of my kind nature and has not only left a car abandoned with me for 16 months but has left me to pick up the storage charge.

One day i will catch up with you Mr goodfield,until then i think its important nobody else in the mk1 club gets conned by this guy.

If anyone has an address or home telephone number for him id be eternally grateful so that i can start legal proceedings to try and get my money back.

DO NOT TRUST THIS GUY!!!!
b2hbm

Re: Ashley Goodfield,beware.

Post by b2hbm »

geez, that's lousy, and I can't see any good excuses for the guy.

Ok, being practical, you're a trader so can you trace the car through the DVLA ? Ok, that assumes you've still got the number but at least you know the guy's name to start with.

I thought the DVLA would release information about cars to those who can justify needing the info, I remember seeing they release it to clamping firms for example. And as you're owed a sizable sum I'd have thought you qualify.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I could try the DVLA,thanks for that,i suspect even if i catch up with him he is going to say get lost and i will need to make it a legal issue.....i have completely lost my faith in human nature.

Some people treat others like animals,he took advantage of me with some real sob stories about being in hospital and didn't want to lose the car,he said the buyer was giving him £1400 so at least he would get something back after paying the storage fee.... ive been well and truly stung.
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Bloody hell Paul, thats disappointing to hear.

Nobody expects to be ripped off by a club member, it nearly happened to me a few years ago but as I was only a few miles away from the guys house I managed to turn round, take the car back and get my cash back.

Have you thought about what action you could take?

I guess we'll probably never see Ashley at anything to do with the Mk1 Club anymore now.....
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I think you are within your right to take him to the small claims court, it's fairly easy to find out where people live nowadays.
T
AW11 Forever..!

Post by AW11 Forever..! »

Yea Paul, it's the right time to make it public, we did try behind the scenes to locate Ashley and even got Stuart Kynoch involved. As he used to be a club member surely his address must be on file somewhere, Vix can you possibly get involved to see if you can locate his current address as Paul will need this to make a legal claim against him.
Paul if you want any heavies to go down to get your moey back, let me know I don't mind a trip back to Wales, could do the trip in 1 day and would only cost you £50 in petrol so at least you will get £700 back, in fact you should also bill him for any costs travel, time etc.

What he has done is disgusting and shameful, he must never be allowed to be involved in anything to do with the club at all.

Vix, as secretary of the Club can you possibly set up a small donation fund for Paul to at least get some of his money back.

Michael
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I am disapointed to hear this, I met Ashley in 2006 and he was a very nice chap. Financial problems/stress can really make people behave strangely. I did see Ashley's old blue Mk1a sell on ebay for £750ish, a couple of months ago.. it was sold down in Dorset area iirc. Ken Salmon used to have his contact details, could be worth a try?

Hope you get this sorted Paul.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Not sure if the MK1 club is allowed to give out people's personal details to a third party whatever the reason guys, data protection and all that, so be careful.

There are many legal (internet based) ways to do it for a very small fee Paul.

T
vix

Post by vix »

tonigmr2 wrote:Not sure if the MK1 club is allowed to give out people's personal details to a third party whatever the reason guys, data protection and all that, so be careful.

There are many legal (internet based) ways to do it for a very small fee Paul.

T

Exactly Toni, thanks :)

I don't keep details of ex members anyway and neither does Ken as far as I know.

As treasurer of the club it is not my place to set up a donation fund for Paul. We have difficulty enough getting people to pay the membership fees let alone make donations. Perhaps you should speak to Stuart if you think the idea is viable.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

sincere thanks for the kind support folks and i do appreciate the fund thought but it really isn't something i would accept.It's not really a money issue for me,i just feel very aggreaved that this guy has treated me like this.

I will get the money back in time one way or another,for now my only concern is that he is named and shamed and isn't allowed to con anyone else in the club.

I think i have to go through the small claims court now.

Ashley is the nicest guy you will ever meet,that's why i fell for this,last thing i expected was for him to disappear and leave me to foot the bill.

If anyone does have his details it would be much appreciated :thumleft:
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

you can search the electoral roll for a small fee with various websites, such as 192.com or tracesmart.co.uk

1987 Mk1.5, CT20b, LSD, Chargecooled, 260...290bhp (est)
2003 330ci M-sport
1995 Polo 1.3CL
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

What a low-life.

Maybe you should edit the thread title to a more apt:

Beware, Ashley Goodfield.
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Just read this thread and tried to take a realistic stance on it.

Who has gained here and who has lost?

Ashley has lost his car for a year (by his own doing) and incurred costs for bringing it to Paul and removing it again. No work was done on his car for the reasons given in the OP.

Also the car has probably deteriorated quite a bit sat for over a year.

So Ashley is definitely a net 'loser' here even as things stand.

Paul has lost out because of the inconvenience of having to work around a car in his yard that is taking up space that could be earning £££.

He's also paid the £750 storage fee. So Paul loses twice.

Which leaves the Business manager. This is the bit I don't get.
It does sound a bit bizarre why they would tap up an established car repair business for having cars in the yard (unless the yard is shared?)

Can't you explain to the manager what has happened because this whole sorry story could be wiped away if they waived the storage fee.

However, I can understand Paul charging Ashley for the inconvenience of holding the car in his yard.

So the ideal outcome would be for the manager to get real and waive the fee and maybe Ashley pay Paul a fraction of this fee for his (genuine) inconvenience of having the car in the yard all this time.

Result:
Ashley loses what he deserves to lose.
Paul gets some £ for inconvenience
Manager becomes a better manager and is no worse off because of it.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

This is very similar to what happened to my mechanic when i first met him. He had an old 60's Jolly 500 sitting in his garage for years which he replaced the engine and fixed the brakes on it, it was still a mess but belonged to a woman he hadnt had contact with for years.

Out of the blue she rings up and says she wants it back so my mechanic gave her the bill which included storage at a very fair price which she refused to pay. He seeked legal advice and was told not to let the car go without payment, once its gone it would be hard to get any money back.

In the end the car sold for 5k at auction and he got 50% of that.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Jeremy there is only one loser in this and its me,i even negotiated the storage down from 1200 to 750 after explaining the circumstances.I rent my work unit,not the area outside it,that is for access to the unit only,but they do allow us to park cars that are due in or out for work.Ashley took the p1$$,his car was here for a year with only a single phone call to halt work on the car in all that time.Then a further 4 months sat here doing nothing and unable to contact him.The manager of the industrial estate has every right to demand a storage charge,as do i come to think of it.

Sorry but i dont care how badly his car deteriorated in that time.He ripped me off and has done a dissapearing act.His parting words to me were...and i quote "everyone knows me in the mk1 club,they know how honest and reliable i am,don't worry paul i won't leave you with the charges"

yeah right!
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Jeremy there is only one loser in this and its me,i even negotiated the storage down from 1200 to 750 after explaining the circumstances.I rent my work unit,not the area outside it,that is for access to the unit only,but they do allow us to park cars that are due in or out for work.Ashley took the p1$$,his car was here for a year with only a single phone call to halt work on the car in all that time.Then a further 4 months sat here doing nothing and unable to contact him.The manager of the industrial estate has every right to demand a storage charge,as do i come to think of it.

Sorry but i dont care how badly his car deteriorated in that time.He ripped me off and has done a dissapearing act.His parting words to me were...and i quote "everyone knows me in the mk1 club,they know how honest and reliable i am,don't worry paul i won't leave you with the charges"

yeah right!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend Ashley, just pointing out he has probably lost out big time even without paying his dues for clogging up your works unit.

Given the circumstances I thought the best outcome would be for Ashley to pay you a fee rather than to the manager.

BTW £1200 would have paid for over a year's storage at a cherished car warehouse (dry area with air flow) with a dust sheet cover.

£750 would get about 10 months' storage.
Last edited by JMR_AW11 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AW11 Forever..!

Post by AW11 Forever..! »

Absolutely shameful :oops: :oops: , Ashley how can you sleep at night, you must be reading this, give Paul a ring and give him his money you owe, in fact don't even ring him, just send him the cheque, you are giving the Welsh a rotten name!! :evil: :evil: :evil: !! you evil man.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Sorry to hear this Paul, you are one of the most honest garage owners that i have ever met :D and from my experiences a great person :thumleft:
Maybe in future it might be an idea to take some sort of deposit before you do any work, i'm sure most of the work you carry out can go into £1,000's, and we all know there are many unrelliable people out there, that will take advantage of honest people like yourself :mad:
I'm sure there must be someone on here that knows him and where he lives.
If you know him and his whereabouts, pm Paul now!!

The world could do with less S--t bags like him :evil:
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

sent you another link as a pm

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”