The Winter "Diesel On The Road" Thread

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

matt_mr2t

Re: The Winter "Diesel On The Road" Thread

Post by matt_mr2t »

You're always gonna be far less likely to get into a horrific mess in a FWD car IMO.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

tonigmr2 wrote:To be fair I don't think ALL tubbies have no feel...I've had a couple that were nightmares and one or two that were lovely. I think it's entirely down to suspension and set-up! But finding the sweet spot is harder on that car I think than a little FWD.

T

Well, my current mission is to make my tubby more supple and friendly. This means binning the Tein HAs and putting standard UK spec suspension, with TRD topmounts, replacing any worn suspension parts/bushes and a full alignment from Wheels in Motion. Oh, yeah and much better tyres :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

tonigmr2 wrote:To be fair I don't think ALL tubbies have no feel...I've had a couple that were nightmares and one or two that were lovely. I think it's entirely down to suspension and set-up! But finding the sweet spot is harder on that car I think than a little FWD.

T

But in standard form. :-:

There are plenty of other cars in stock form that have feel.

As you know I used to have a 200bhp BMW. That had no problem with feel and you could exploit it wet or dry. Sure FWD is easier but not all RWD cars are difficult to handle in greasy conditions.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Lauren wrote:

Lauren/Toni, what do you think is necessary to improve the handling of mk2s? I've probably driven 6 or 7 mk2s with various different setups and although I couldn't tell you how they behaved at the limit, they all rode and steered differently.

The two that had the best ride were on standard suspension and the other on Super Streets. I can't afford the Teins hence I'm going for stock springs and either UK spec struts from MrT or Yellow Billies if I can stetch.

I've got Cusco strut braces and will be using TRD top mounts, but what else would you do? Will a custom geometry setup (using camber bolts) be a big improvement over factory settings?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

mattcambs wrote:
Lauren/Toni, what do you think is necessary to improve the handling of mk2s? I've probably driven 6 or 7 mk2s with various different setups and although I couldn't tell you how they behaved at the limit, they all rode and steered differently.

The two that had the best ride were on standard suspension and the other on Super Streets. I can't afford the Teins hence I'm going for stock springs and either UK spec struts from MrT or Yellow Billies if I can stetch.

I've got Cusco strut braces and will be using TRD top mounts, but what else would you do? Will a custom geometry setup (using camber bolts) be a big improvement over factory settings?

Well out of all the mk2s i've driven the only one that I actually thought handled pretty well was Toni's 24K yellow tubby which was stock engine wise but was on Teins which were obviously well setup. Not cheap though. I also had a go in Toni's TRD around Anglesey a few weeks back, that handled really nicely too, again on Tein's I suspect.

I've not ever owned a MK2 so can't really comment on the other options. Likewise I can't advise on a specific geo setup, though Toni may be able to offer a better insight.

Another good option would be to get some tuition on a handling day/trackday. I say this because you sound like you don't normally drive the car at or beyond the limits of the car's grip levels. However, now the roads are greasy and grip levels are substantially reduced you are now of course driving much closer and sometimes beyond the limit of the mechanical grip available.

I think once you get used to how the car reacts and how to handle it with the correct inputs etc it does take away a lot of the worry of such 'accidental' power slides happening and you begin to feel a bit more comfortable and of course more confident with the car. As a result you enjoy it more too. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

mattcambs wrote:
Lauren wrote:

If your going for new parts I bet there's not much difference in price between them and a set of TEINS.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

As Lauren said - the two better handling MK2s I have had have both been on Teins - the yellow car was Tein HAs! So I wouldn't bin them if I were you, I'd go and get a full alignment done first...and tbh I think MK2s handle better on 16s. :-#

T
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

matt_mr2t wrote:
If your going for new parts I bet there's not much difference in price between them and a set of TEINS.

About £150 cheaper to get yellow billies, TRD topmounts and 2nd hand freebie stock springs compared to Super Streets + TRD top mounts. If I was to get UK struts from MrT then it would be about £350 cheaper compared to getting the Teins :thumleft:

Plus, there would also be a saving on my insurance premium of about £50 - £100 a year if I declared the suspension as stock as opposed to uprated, which insurance companies seem to hate.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

tonigmr2 wrote:As Lauren said - the two better handling MK2s I have had have both been on Teins - the yellow car was Tein HAs! So I wouldn't bin them if I were you, I'd go and get a full alignment done first...and tbh I think MK2s handle better on 16s. :-#

T

Thanks, Toni. My HAs were on the car when I bought it. 3 out of 4 of the damping adjustment knobs are broken ](*,) . Also I'm not convinced that they're not past their best, even though none are leaking. I was going to try and sell them on here as a refurb job after swapping them out. Currently I can't compress the springs at all using my own body weight and the ride is very bouncy :sick:

My wheels are 16in Sparco - 7in front/8in rear :D
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Ah, well if you can't adjust the damping you probably have a very skittish car, as they are bl00dy hard on some settings.

The yellow billies and springs seem a good option then tbh. For a fast road set-up probably more than adequate. Good choice on wheels IMHO. :)

I have the Tein Flex on the TRD with EDFC - love 'em. But agreed it is not a cheap option.
T
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Matt, when I priced up a set of OE shocks, springs, top mounts and basically everything to put my suspension back to standard I think it worked out at MORE than a set of TEINS and TEIN top mounts.

Although me may be talking about different TEINS here, the ones I was looking at would have been around £800 all in with the top mounts and springs.

Save confusion here's what I was looking at.

Yellow billies £500 will need springs + top mounts will end up around £800 by my estimation?

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/Product.aspx?ID=414

And via Camskill - set of Superstreets with top mounts for just over £800

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 0s611p2810
steve b

Post by steve b »

tonigmr2 wrote: I'd go and get a full alignment done first...and tbh I think MK2s handle better on 16s. :-#

T

:thumleft:

Go to see Tony at WIM, I had my mazda setup by him and its great. Once I get a set of shocks for my MR2 it'll make its way to him. Great thing is he taylors it to you, asks what sort of driving, how you want it to react and sets it up appropriately, if after 2 weeks or 2 months you decide it could be better he'll have you back and tweak it for no charge.

But just reading your damping adjustment is f'd you still need new shocks, they could all be on different settings.

p.s. New shocks means new alignment, throwing a set of shocks on with out an alignment is a waste of time.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

matt_mr2t wrote:Matt, when I priced up a set of OE shocks, springs, top mounts and basically everything to put my suspension back to standard I think it worked out at MORE than a set of TEINS and TEIN top mounts.

Although me may be talking about different TEINS here, the ones I was looking at would have been around £800 all in with the top mounts and springs.

Save confusion here's what I was looking at.

Yellow billies £500 will need springs + top mounts will end up around £800 by my estimation?

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/Product.aspx?ID=414

And via Camskill - set of Superstreets with top mounts for just over £800

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 0s611p2810

Hey, Matt :D

I've just bought a set of TRD top mounts from Fensport and that cost me £165 (with 10% IMOC discount).

That's a great price for the Teins from Camskill, but although I really like them, I actually prefer the even softer ride from stock springs.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

steve b wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote: I'd go and get a full alignment done first...and tbh I think MK2s handle better on 16s. :-#

T

:thumleft:

Go to see Tony at WIM, I had my mazda setup by him and its great. Once I get a set of shocks for my MR2 it'll make its way to him. Great thing is he taylors it to you, asks what sort of driving, how you want it to react and sets it up appropriately, if after 2 weeks or 2 months you decide it could be better he'll have you back and tweak it for no charge.

But just reading your damping adjustment is f'd you still need new shocks, they could all be on different settings.

p.s. New shocks means new alignment, throwing a set of shocks on with out an alignment is a waste of time.

Cheers, Steve. I've already been in contact with Tony at WIM. Nice guy, very helpful.

Re damping - exactly, who knows what settings they're on!

Question on ball joints and bushes: worth changing regardless, or only bother if badly worn?

:D
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Bushes I would always definitely say yes to - especially if you're on the stock originals. I've always been amazed by the transformation just changing those can make.

Ball joints not unless they are noticably worn IMHO.
T
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Re the 'lack of feel' in the Mk2's steering, chat to Andy (Luthor1) he has an easy little mod that will get rid of it. :thumleft:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Limeymk1 wrote:Re the 'lack of feel' in the Mk2's steering, chat to Andy (Luthor1) he has an easy little mod that will get rid of it. :thumleft:

I believe that would be the steering column mod? :D

I read about that a while ago (been troling IMOC for a while now). I really want to do this mod, so I'll drop him a PM :thumleft:

Thanks
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

mattcambs wrote:
Limeymk1 wrote:Re the 'lack of feel' in the Mk2's steering, chat to Andy (Luthor1) he has an easy little mod that will get rid of it. :thumleft:

I believe that would be the steering column mod? :D

That's the puppy. :thumleft:

While you're at it give him a boot from me to write it up for the knowledge base. :twisted:
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Hi,

yes'm Mr Limey Sir :)

Andy
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

luthor1 wrote:Hi,

yes'm Mr Limey Sir :)

Andy