Engine flushing good or bad?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

acexxx

Engine flushing good or bad?

Post by acexxx »

Hey. I done my oil about a month ago as when I got the car it was black. One month on and its the same again. Looking under the oil filler cap and in the engine it appears to have a thick black coating on it. I know the head gasket isn't away so I was wondering if I got an engine flusher it would get rid ofthe problem? Has anyone done this and will it screw it up? What kits or products should I use?
boyzdad

Re: Engine flushing good or bad?

Post by boyzdad »

I have used this before.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WYNNS-ENGINE-OIL- ... 286.c0.m14

If the problem is that bad, it may take a few times to clear, I wouldn't get to stressed over it, the engine has probably not been looked after too well before you got the car.

The only important thing to check is that the pipe between the cam cover (with the oil filler cap) and the inlet manifold is not blocked. To do this properly, you will need to remove the cam cover to clean out the pipe connector bit (not really sure what else to call it!).

Just make sure you change the oil and filter regularly, and all should be fine.

If you really want to "go to town" you can always take the sump off to give it a good clean, this is an easy job (IMO), if you also remove the oil pickup and baffle plate you can give the inside of the block a good scrub, carb cleaner is good for this, it's a dirty job, and as you will be upside down, wear eye protection! Also, if the urge takes you, take the cam covers off to clean inside them, again not a hard job. These 2 places is were most of the gunge will have settled.

I hope this helps!
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

I was advised by a very competent mechanic to always use an engine flush each time the oil is changed.

I did so, and now I have a slight weep around the sump gasket so this will need to be changed in the future. Ho hum, I suppose I'd rather not have a gunked up engine!
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

it can be a bit risky on old engines, the deposits that form inside the engine can often become a part of the engine and the way it runs. its not uncommon for leaks to appear after using oil treatments, and its not unheard of for more major consumable/wearing parts to fail or falter

if the engine has problems then try it, if it runs fine then id avoid the risk. if it isnt running right though then youve not got so much to lose.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

WeirdNeville wrote:I was advised by a very competent mechanic to always use an engine flush each time the oil is changed.

I did so, and now I have a slight weep around the sump gasket so this will need to be changed in the future. Ho hum, I suppose I'd rather not have a gunked up engine!

there is no sump gasket just a film of sealing compound
simple job to do, take it off clean it up and refit
blue2

Post by blue2 »

I have mine flushed with every oil change, gets rid of any crap, always a good thing.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

ok problems with an oil slush and can move debris an cuase bloackages/damage. it can make seals leak but less likely these days. but the biggest problem is it removes oil from a surface so when the new oil goes in any surfaces with teh flush still on wont gain proper oil protection, this will obviously go away but you will never get all the flush out. its better just to maintain your engine properly.
if you must use one do so, then change the oil for some cheapish stuff. then change it again in a coupe of hundred miles and stick some decent fresh oil in this should remove most of the crap and get rid of any flush. its not worth doing if your engine runs fine or has no black death issues.
4agte on the way
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

crazybrightman wrote:ok problems with an oil slush and can move debris an cuase bloackages/damage. it can make seals leak but less likely these days.

I had this happen with the Celica, bought the car and the engine was nice and clean, it stayed that way for another service. Then I used an engine flush and now I have a weepy oil seal somewhere. #-o
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

never used it myself as its one of those additives that i consider a bit of a con. the newer oils have much better cleaning properties that the old ones so its unlikely to be a problem unless your engine has not been serviced regularly. if this is the case then its probably too late to help.
i have been told that running it with oil for a diesel for a few hundred miles will clean it better than anything as it has loads of detergents in it. never tried it but it seems logical. oilman any thoughts?
chris get some of that gasket seal stuff to bung in the oil ( another additive #-o ) probably wont do a thing !!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

crazylegs wrote:chris get some of that gasket seal stuff to bung in the oil ( another additive #-o ) probably wont do a thing !!

:lol: Might be worth a shot, although the engine runs very well even if it does smell rather oily. :whistle:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”