[Mk2] [Turbo] Gear selection problem; slave cylinder?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheRoadWarrior

[Mk2] [Turbo] Gear selection problem; slave cylinder?

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Had a problem today.. went for a gear change and nothing- couldnt get it into gear at all. Pulled over and checked a few things;

- plenty fluid in the master cylinder
- no fluid dripping down
- Gear shift cables still attached
- with the engine off i can engage/disengage all 5 gears like normal

I was able to get home in first gear by starting it in gear and then turning her off at junctions. Basically the clutch doesnt seem to be disengaging.

What i will do next is get someone to press the pedal while i look to see if the slave cylinder is moving.

If its not the slave cylinder, any ideas whats happened? I thought perhaps the release bearing (which has squeeked for ages) but i'm not sure??
Lewis Jay

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Gear selection problem; slave cylinder?

Post by Lewis Jay »

Sounds like slave cylinder mate.

Check that then go from there. :thumleft:
mistertwo_2008_uk

Post by mistertwo_2008_uk »

i had this happen after a xxxx decided to cross a duel caragway (sp?) in front of me while i was doing 70.. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid him.

After this i also had gear selection probs.

Turned out to be snapped gear forks!.

Was a bloody nightmare.

Either had to have box rebuild or new box.

Hope its not the same for you but thought i would share my experience!

Daz
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Thanks for the responses guys. Selector fork came to mind- but if i can get it into all gears fine with the engine off i suppose it cant be that?
I'll probably get a slave cylinder on order from MRT. I have heard that the master cylinder can go bad and cause problems like i'm seeing.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Had the Exact same problem and it was the Clutch. New clutch fitted and its fine now :)

I tried New Fluid, New Slave, New Master and it still wouldnt work. Booked it in with GTSChris for a Clutch change and its working again :)

Oh if you still need to drive it around for a short time you can adjust the rod on the clutch pedal (adjust it in the direction where it reduces free play in the pedal, so the rod is comming further out and pushing on the pedal) and you will be able to change gears with the engine running but this means the clutch will be slightly slipping all the time so dont rev hard :thumleft:

Also when starting the car in first with clutch down would it jump forward abit?
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:Had the Exact same problem and it was the Clutch. New clutch fitted and its fine now :)

I tried New Fluid, New Slave, New Master and it still wouldnt work. Booked it in with GTSChris for a Clutch change and its working again :)

Oh if you still need to drive it around for a short time you can adjust the rod on the clutch pedal (adjust it in the direction where it reduces free play in the pedal, so the rod is comming further out and pushing on the pedal) and you will be able to change gears with the engine running but this means the clutch will be slightly slipping all the time so dont rev hard :thumleft:

Also when starting the car in first with clutch down would it jump forward abit?

Jumps forward? Sure- but then its in gear so i expected it to do that.
At the moment everything points towards hydraulics- what do you think happened with your clutch to make it go so suddenly? Not sure about yours but mine hadnt slipped at all (I could make it slip by doing silly full-bore-tyre-smoking launches) but blasting through the gears normally it was fine
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Well it doesnt look like its hydraulics :(

Got a friend to press the clutch pedal today while i look at the release fork on the gearbox. Its definately moving- so i'm assuming the master and slave cylinders are ok.

Next thing is; where should i take it to get the clutch sorted? Theres 3S i've used before, GTS chris- bit further away....

The other complication is i'd like to get the gearbox checked over and possibly rebuilt while its out so i'd need someone capable of doing that.

Ta!

Return to “Mechanical”