Changed headlight bulbs today

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

AndyA

Changed headlight bulbs today

Post by AndyA »

Just thought people might be interested to know that Halfords are doing two for one on their headlight bulbs atm :D Went for a set of the Super Brights at £14.99 for the pair as had a bulb fail yesterday. Are noticeably brighter :thumleft:

Did consider going for the slightly dearer even brighter ones, but thought their blue tinted light wouldn't look quite right on a Mk1a :lol:

Took about 20 minutes to change them, using the method of removing the headlight cover plates. Where quite easy to line up again, and in fact look better than when I took them off :thumleft: Not sure if you can use this method on the Mk1bs though?

Cheers, Andy
Karl_T

Re: Changed headlight bulbs today

Post by Karl_T »

I thought ploughing into the inky blackness wit just the dim yellow glow of the weedy standard bulbs was part of the exitement of driving a Mk1? :shock:

Actually being able to see, hmmm, where's the fun in that. :wink:

Seriously though, does anyone know how the aftermarket super bright bulbs compare with things like Raybrigs? I've been wondering about those, but if just fitting better bulbs gets you there, I'd prefer to keep the std look.

Karl_T
Red ones go faster......
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Osram silverstars are great on the Mk1, the Halfrauds ones are pretty damn good on the Sillycar too.

I don't think the superbrights will be as good as a set of Raybrigs.

Why are you worried about looking standard Karl? The lights are up and on at night when noone can tell what you're driving and hidden in the day. :lol:
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Halford +50% Superbrights are definitely an upgrade on standard bulbs in standard reflectors. But Raybrigs and standard bulbs are marginally better. However, Raybrig Reflectors + Halfords superbright bulbs = more than just candle light... The one and only time I've driven the car with them ( :lol: ) they've been very good.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I might take advantage of the Halfords offer tomorrow, what type of bulb/fitting do I need to get or are they all the same? :?
jb007

Post by jb007 »

h4 steve
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

jb007 wrote:h4 steve

Cheers! :D

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”