Magnetic sump plug?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MRTWO

Magnetic sump plug?

Post by MRTWO »

I picked up a magnetic sump plug a while back as it sounded like a good idea, but since then I've wondered about the real benefits and whether it really works and makes a difference

I've searched and seen a few mentions within other topics, but no particulary detailed commentary

In principal I assume it can't hurt, but before I do an oil change I'm interested to get some feedback of peoples experience of these. It seems to be a very strong magnet but can it really attract particles from the oil which I assume is fairly fast moving? or is it designed to collect junk when the engine is at rest wnd heavier object sink to the bottom?
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
WeirdNeville

Re: Magnetic sump plug?

Post by WeirdNeville »

I was thinking about one of these too...

However, You'd hope that the oil filter is doing that job. I suppose it might catch bigger bits of metal before they get circulated to your bearings or cams, but if your engine is turning it's own swarf the no amount of magnetism is going to save it in the long run. I suppose it can't hurt, 200SX's come with magnetic gearbox drain plugs as standard, but in an engine that's done the long side of 100,000 miles already I don't think it's going to make a huge difference.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I have used one. When I did a 5000 mile oil change the plug did come out with very small metal filings on it, so was definately working. However, they were very small so not sure if it really makes that much difference.

It was a poorly made plug though because the threads seemed to be knackered after one use, so I didn't bother again.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

I've used them,and TBH wouldn't not use them.

Even if its small bits of metal they remove, the damage they could make being forced through a oil gap could be engine killingover time.

I'd say they prolong the life of an engine, but as for how much? who knows. Personal preference really
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Pete wrote:I have used one. When I did a 5000 mile oil change the plug did come out with very small metal filings on it, so was definately working. However, they were very small so not sure if it really makes that much difference.

It was a poorly made plug though because the threads seemed to be knackered after one use, so I didn't bother again.

You have to be (very)carefull not to over tighten sump plugs in general,As this will happen every time.

Ive just fitted one to mine and the way I see it is like this, "Is it gonna harm it ? , no , Is it gonna help even a little , Possibly , Then why not"
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Pete

Post by Pete »

The one I used was just poor quality. If anyone can recommend somewhere to get a decent one, i'd give it another go.

It was clear that it did hold onto something, so it's possibly going to help - just one of those things you can't really measure.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Slight topic drift but does anyone know if the same sort of thing is available for use on the gearbox? I already use one on the sump which I'm happy with and wondered if one could also be fitted to the gearbox?
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Ive got one on my gearbox & sump & to be honest i think they are great :thumleft: they certainly do the job intended & when i do an oil change there are small bits of swarf on them, so it must do something. For Sump & Gearbox magnetic plugs see Kev Crazylegs on here, he's the man to talk to :thumleft: , Jinxy
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

FYI I stripped by back axle a while back. To my surprise I found bit of shattered diff magnetised to the axle drain plug. Had that stuff been floating around in the oil then the TRD 2 way would have been screwed. I suspect that in Japan the previous owners changed the diff (after it blew up) and fitted a new one without bothering about the oil. Why you would install a £500 part into oil that has just had a diff explode in it is anyone’s guess.

Long story short – had the plug not been magnetic then I suspect I would have had a toasted 2 way. With an engine you have the advantage of a oil filter but for what they cost it’s a little extra safeguard especially if you’re a bedding in a new set of rings. Perfect for gearboxes / back axles where you don’t have a filter to catch the crud before it does serious damage. Bear in mind the particles might not be drawn to the plug itself but could be magnetised to the sump pan and hence wont go anywhere.
t-bar89

Post by t-bar89 »

Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these? they sound good. :clap:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”