Possible MR2 as a project, head gasket gone, help please!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonb-

Possible MR2 as a project, head gasket gone, help please!

Post by jonb- »

Hi,

Not sure if this should be here or in general, i was after a bit of advice. The lady oppisite me has a K plate MR2 GT (UK sunroof model with full leather) that's been off the road for about 5 months. I popped around today to see if they wanted to sell it and low and behold, they do!

It's in fantastic condition inside, outside the paint is a bit of a state but i can sort that out, it's the mechanics i'm worried about.

Apparently the head gasket went just before they took it off the road (quoted £500) and coming down the box into third (ie 4th to 3rd) it's b it crunchy (sounds like mesh). It still runs, just not very well.

The car has done 75,000 miles from 2 lady owners in it's life (though was stolen and was off the road for a year).

Would the dead head gasket mean other engine bits are likely to give up or just something that happens? She was quoted £500 minimum, but warned it could go up and up if they have trouble getting the engine apart (as you'd expect).

Any one any clues what the gearbox is likely to cost?

I'm very tempted by this, i've a motorbike to get around on if worse comes to worse (got current car until the end of june)

cheers
System-G

Re: Possible MR2 as a project, head gasket gone, help please!

Post by System-G »

It depends on how much they want for the car. Find a reliable independent garage to do the work. My mechanic (ex Toyota) quoted me £300 to do the head gasket on a MKI (not mine).

Rev 2 N/A K-Reg in very good condition go for between £3k and £3.5k. So offer them £1k - £1.5k and see what they say???
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

n/a gearboxes don't tend to be expensive, there have been a few on ebay recently going for sensible money £100-150.

If the headgasket has gone I wouldn't worry too much about other things being damaged, They are a bit of a pain to do but shop around garages i'm sure you will find someone to do it for a decent price, Ifyou are handy with a spanner have a go yourself, there are plenty of people here who could give you advice if you run into any problems.

paul
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

I wish i was handy with a spanner, my limit is fitting an exhaust to my bike at the moment.

Does anyone know what the fitting charge would roughly be for a gearbox? Any good mechanics known around the north herts / south beds area?

Sorry about the questions, i'll soon fall into a groove i'm sure :)
paul port

Re: Possible MR2 as a project, head gasket gone, help please

Post by paul port »

beset wrote:Hi,
been off the road for about 5 months.
Apparently the head gasket went just before they took it off the road

Water sat in Cylinders for 5 months?

Make sure it still turns over would be my thought...

Paul
jonno

Post by jonno »

I was worried about mine after 24 hours with a sump full of water!!
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

On closer inspection there's certianly coolant in the oil and as much as i'd like to say there was oil in the coolant, there wasn't too much left. That said, the engine bay is in pretty fine condition.

I'm going to top her up with water and oil tomorrow and just give her a gentle run backwards and forwards around the estate for 60 seconds to make sure the breaks arn't binding. Can anyone recommend anything to listen out for to make sure the head isn't warped / cylinders rusted (can this even happen?!) valves are ok?

I'm prepared to take a big risk with this car if i can get it for the right price, even if it means dropping a new engine in. May as well buy a lemon and work on it than buy what you think is a good car for a full price and end up with a lemon.

Thanks again guys
System-G

Post by System-G »

The brakes will seem to be binding as the car has sat for so long. It will probably be rust more than anything and will loosen over a short time, but the risk of the calipers binding in the near future is high.

Also you very likely feel brake judder under braking, this is not much to worry about as it will be the pads passing over the areas they have sat on for the last few months (i.e the spots on the discs with no rust under the pad rest area). Some hard braking (once you are sure the brakes themselves are fine) will cure this or you can get the discs skimmed.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220

Return to “Mechanical”