Goodbye and Thanks

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

midenginedmaniac

Goodbye and Thanks

Post by midenginedmaniac »

Off to the world of the MK2. Not sure what my MK1 is worth.

£700 to 1K I would suspect. I will have a think and get it in the classifieds.

Ben

Re: Goodbye and Thanks

Post by Ben »

Looks good to me :thumleft:
I paid 650 for mine... its pretty sound but a little shabby in places! I'd say closer to the 1k mark, assuming its as nice as it looks 8)
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

Is it a turbo mk2 or a v6? If its just standard i reckon you'll be back. I had a rev 3 t-bar. Wasn't half as fun to drive and only felt slightly faster but the power never felt as usable and by the time you would make any head way on a mk1 you would be breaking the speed limit anyway. Have to admit it was a much nicer place to be in though, feels much lower than the mk1 and the seats are better.
midenginedmaniac

Its a Glimited. 168bhp supposedly. Much to learn
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

Recently sold my beloved mk1 (v6) and when looking for a 'sensible' runabout stumbled across a Rev4 NA...TBH I'm enjoying it a lot - but don't love it like I loved my mk1!

Just watch for the back end - will step out with minimum provocation unlike my mk1's which needed a real helping hand to step out.
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

IMHO
You`ll never feel as happy with a mk2.
They don`t have that something special,
that gets under your skin

Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
HT

Post by HT »

bburn13 wrote:IMHO
You`ll never feel as happy with a mk2.
They don`t have that something special,
that gets under your skin

Dave

Agree - I've driven a rev3 N/A and a turbo, both were okay (turbo amazingly quick) but nothign special. Can see their appeal but if anything they are a bit too civilised, the original mr2 really communicates unlke the mk2.
midenginedmaniac

Agreed but I am going to turn into a fair weather biker and need something to use all winter.

I am worried the MK1 will end up as a pile of rust.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

I'm gonna surprise a few people and agree with the comments above.

I've had my rev3 turbo for just over 3 years, It was the only car I have wanted since childhood, Black, Tbar Turbo mk2 and I have to say I am enjoying the mk1 even more.

So much so that I am considering delaying putting the turbo engine in the back for the time being.

You'll be back in a mk1 :thumleft:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
vix

Post by vix »

Jumping on the bandwagon here but I have to agree. The guy who I bought my MR2 from had a Mk2, and when he saw what I had done to my car, (only cleaned and looked after it!), coupled with the fact the mk2 didn't live up to expectations, he wanted it back :)
HT

Post by HT »

Jaspa wrote:I'm gonna surprise a few people and agree with the comments above.

I've had my rev3 turbo for just over 3 years, It was the only car I have wanted since childhood, Black, Tbar Turbo mk2 and I have to say I am enjoying the mk1 even more.

So much so that I am considering delaying putting the turbo engine in the back for the time being.

You'll be back in a mk1 :thumleft:

Cool a mk1 convert :thumleft:

Theres nothign wrong about the mk2 its justa totally different intended market, and it does do some things better than a mk1 (like not rust). :(

Whats great about a fairly stock mk1 is you can have a lot of fun in daily use, without silly running costs of so many sports cars, it lends itself easily to so many individual driving styles, that it makes you the driver feel pretty special :D
classic mk1

Post by classic mk1 »

midenginedmaniac wrote:Image

Is it me, but those wheels dont fill the arches they look too small.
I run my car all year round, a dailly commute of 45 miles. Bodywork hasnt been affected, if anything it gets washed and waxed alot more.
midenginedmaniac

The flash does not help. Nor does the 195's on the back. Wait for the polished up pics. :thumleft:
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

midenginedmaniac wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r122 ... G_5138.jpg

All the best in your new motor - thats quite a drastic change, from a Mk1 to a Ford Probe...........
midenginedmaniac

I have plenty of other toys as well.

My 328

Harley and Z1000 :mrgreen:
System-G

Post by System-G »

I used to own a MKII and the MK1 is a much better car.

Looks like you have a Rev2 - which will be even more of a handfull in the winter than any MK1.

Good luck though.

I'm sure we'll see you back in a MK1 very soon :mrgreen:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
TheGasMan

Post by TheGasMan »

Never rly been a fan of the Mk2 but each to their own ey?

Its a big shame, the White Mk1's look lovely with a Eurosport bodykit too.. :(
andyj

Post by andyj »

I'm a mark 1 man currently running a Rev3 NA by way of change.

Mark 2 is lovely cruiser, doesn't suffer from rust (wheel arch/windscreen header) problems and from late REV 2 on, has really lovely variable power steering. Combined with great dashboard layout, better comfort and helpful 50% bigger rear boot, it's a nice car.

It feels a much bigger car. It's much less agile. Even with 173 bhp on REV 3 NA spec. it's quite slow and feels less exciting to drive quickly.

I'm not sure which is best. They're just different. I love them both.
TheGasMan

Post by TheGasMan »

As a man who has owned both a Mk1b 1.6 DOHC with 116bhp and a 200bhp Mk1.5 Turbo ( 200bhp @ a mere 8 Psi Boost too! :))..

You have to trust me, give Mr. Woods a call at Woodsport, stick a 3SGTE into your Mk1 and im telling you bob's your uncle :)

andyj wrote:I'm a mark 1 man currently running a Rev3 NA by way of change.

Mark 2 is lovely cruiser, doesn't suffer from rust (wheel arch/windscreen header) problems and from late REV 2 on, has really lovely variable power steering. Combined with great dashboard layout, better comfort and helpful 50% bigger rear boot, it's a nice car.

It feels a much bigger car. It's much less agile. Even with 173 bhp on REV 3 NA spec. it's quite slow and feels less exciting to drive quickly.

I'm not sure which is best. They're just different. I love them both.
midenginedmaniac

The MK1 is a lot more fun. Feels faster but I don't have the time to make it concors.

The MK2 sounds awesome. Has an HKS filter. More comfortable. Power steering etc and is in top condition. Just needs some new wheels. I could keep them both.

But I don't have the time to bring mine up concors and I think they all rust away in the winter.

The MK1 will be up for sale next week. I have taken the stereo out to go in my MK2.

Shall I put the stock stereo back to sell or a Sony double din tape cd I have knocking aroud out of my old celica.

Also shall I put the old wheels back on or keep the Brand new alloy on it.

Hmm decisions.

How much would I get for a set of rims compared to sellign them on the car.

I am thinking £995 and will put it in the for sale section when its polished up and ready.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”