Momo boss problems...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dylbie

Momo boss problems...

Post by dylbie »

I have just fitted a new 330mm OMP (replica shh!) deep dish steering wheel with a Momo 7714 boss.

I have two problems

Firstly, the boss itself seems to be rubbing on the steering column casing. Does anyone else have this with the momo boss? Anyone know of any quick fixes?

Secondly, being a deep dish wheel, the indicator stalk seems miles away from the wheel. Has anyone made any modifications or do people just put up with this?

Cheers folks
un1eash

Re: Momo boss problems...

Post by un1eash »

I did find the boss rubbed slightly on the steering wheel surround but got better with time and no longer does.

As for the indicator stalks thats just what you get with deep dish wheels, not much you can do really. I avoided deep dish wheels because of this.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

I bought a Momo Evo Millenium, about 3 years ago with boss and the boss was no good, kept hitting the indicator all the time.
Luckily i still had the Nardi one that came with the car and all was fine.
Maybe you should try and find a Nardi one, fitted well and had no problems since :D
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I think in general the MK2 boss will fit the MK1 but is slightly shorter. A problem for most but not if you have a deep dish wheel.
System-G

Post by System-G »

You will have issues with the MKII boss and the indicator stalk (engaging and auto cancel).

The issue with the stalk being too far away is because of the deep dished wheel as Chris mentioned.

Some of the momo bosses to rub a bit. One of mine does and the other doesn't). sticking some very thin black velt helps if it become too anoying. I've leanred to ignor the noise :whistle:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
MR2sRuleTheRoad

Post by MR2sRuleTheRoad »

I tried a mk2 MOMO boss on my steering column and the chamfer on the column was too big meaning the boss didn't go all the way on to the splines, in fact it hardly went onto the splines at all. I dont know if anyone else has found this. I also see boss kits advertised that state the Starlet KP-something or other is the same which also didn't fit! Neither does the AE86 Corrolla incidentally.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”