Windscreen Wipers

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

waynestoyotamr2

Windscreen Wipers

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

I actually feel quite ashamed for asking such a stupid question about Windscreen Wipers - please dont mock me too much!

Have lost about 5 wiper blades now on my Mk1, despite use of glue, tape, screws etc.....

Modern day wipers just dont seem to mate naturally with the Mk1's two screw system.

Do I have to buy the ones from Toyota (I got quoted £50 all in!) or is there an adaptor I can buy and use to convert to the modern day hook system?
crazybrightman

Re: Windscreen Wipers

Post by crazybrightman »

have you just replaced the blades every time or replaced the plastic screw on fixing aswell? if you replace the fixings you should be fine and they only about £1 each from most motorfactors.
4agte on the way
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Just the blades actually......... The original wipers on the car when I bought it were bodged. I guess I shall have to see if I can find something suitable to hold them together properly.

Has anyone converted to the hook system?
johnp

Post by johnp »

It's more than a year ago now but I bought a pair of the correct screw on blades from my local Mr T for about £10!...he may have been clearing old stock,but it does always pay to check before resorting to Halfords and the like.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

im not sure why your having a problem, do the blades keep coming out of the plastic clips? or do the plastic clips keep coming off the arms? the plastic clips are screwed to the arms so shouldnt come off and the wipers are held with a pin cliped securely into the the plastic. the only time ive had to replace them was when the plastic clip was broken.
4agte on the way
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

I bought some of the newer style hook wipers and after noticing they didnt fit I went back and they gave me some adaptors.

I had to trim the plastic on the wipers a bit to make them fit in the hook. I was a bit worried about them getting loose so I used a bit of glue.

Haven't lost one yet.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I found the bosch super plus wipers worked and fitted perfect.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

I bought Toyota ones about 2 years ago, i think they cost me £25.
Halfords told me they don't do them for a Mk1.
Toyota ones seem fine but i wouldn't want to pay £50
4age

Post by 4age »

Bought a set of bosch ones for the mk1 from Halfords about a month ago. Also they do a converter kit to convert from the two screws to the hook system and with all this rain we have had mine have held up just fine!!
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

4age wrote:Bought a set of bosch ones for the mk1 from Halfords about a month ago. Also they do a converter kit to convert from the two screws to the hook system and with all this rain we have had mine have held up just fine!!

ditto - me too
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Bought some a couple of months ago from Mr T for around £10 the pair when I had a new screen fitted. Was pleasantly surprised at how cheap they were! Thought they would be really expensive (knowing Toyota), and only rang them for a price when my local Wilco said they couldn't supply ones that would fit. Starnge that some people are being quoted £25 and £50(!) for the same thing :o

You can get adaptors to convert the Toyota arms so you can fit generic blades, but not all accessory shops seem to do these now.

Sometimes the threaded hole on the arms gets its thread stripped (think they're only M4?), but you could get round this by drilling and tapping it out to the next size, or just drilling it then using a small nut and bolt (preferably a nyloc nut), which is what someone else has done on one of mine.

If its any help, the number for my local Toyota dealership (Dingles in Norwich) is 01603 480000. They're usually pretty helpful, and don't as a rule demand a chassis number for basic service items before they'll start pressing any buttons on their computer!

Andy
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

mr2mk1chick wrote:
4age wrote:Bought a set of bosch ones for the mk1 from Halfords about a month ago. Also they do a converter kit to convert from the two screws to the hook system and with all this rain we have had mine have held up just fine!!

ditto - me too

Yep me too - never had any problems :-k
jamiesi

Post by jamiesi »

i bought some aero flat type wiper blades off ebay for £10 they came with the correct adaptors :D

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”