In case of emergency

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mk1 envy

In case of emergency

Post by mk1 envy »

Just sorting my car out to get it ready for daily use again, as its had a long break over the summer while ive been fixing it

I trust it a little less than i used to and was wondering what things i should have in the car that would be most useful if it broke down again, i always keep things like first aid kit and fire extinguisher for emergencys and a hazard triangle , but i was wondering what everyone else found most useful to have when they have broken down? Or is there anything you wished you'd had but didnt? What is lurking in your boot for the break down situation?

I am thinking small things - like tie wraps and rags etc - obviously sometimes only the tow truck can help :lol:

Teegs x
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: In case of emergency

Post by Charged »

bottle of water, cigarettes, mars bar (in that order)

I broke down in mid summer on a very hot day.. I spent 3 or 4 hours by the side of the road with no water food or faga and it was sheer hell :mad:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I usually keep my mini-Hlafords set in the car along with water and AA details. :lol:

Tie wraps and rags are a good idea Teegs. Maybe baby wipes for cleaning the oil off your hands after any emergency work. :-k
System-G

Post by System-G »

If it's just about town I don't bother, but if I am planing on going more than an hour away from home:
Small socket set. Screwdrivers, Gaffer Tape, Cable Ties, 1ltr Oil, 2ltrs Water, Torch, RAC Breakdown Cover. Usually something warm & waterproof too.

The RAC is only used for things I know are not fixable on the roadside or If I break down on the motorway. Only one each of those circumstances in 18 years of driving thankfully (touch wood etc...) :whistle:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

Ollie @ Skyinsurance wrote:bottle of water, cigarettes, mars bar (in that order)

I broke down in mid summer on a very hot day.. I spent 3 or 4 hours by the side of the road with no water food or faga and it was sheer hell :mad:

:lol: i can deal with the water and mars bar, might even put some fags in there , this car can drive me to smoke some days :lol:

Ive just found something so utterly amezin aswell:
a wind-up phone charger! i have to have one, i am always forgetting to charge my phone and it does run out exactl when i need it most :roll: #-o lol
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Footpump and jump leads are always in my car. I have a small toolbox too. Extendable breaker bar also comes in handy when getting those tight wheel nuts of.
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

Footpump! Brilliant idea thanks :thumleft:

Got jump leads and extendable wheel brace - i think i may be a little paranoid about breaking down now - better to be prepared though i say :lol:
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

If it can't be fixed with cable ties and Gaffer Tape then it's not worth fixing.

Short of that I just take my mobile.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Reflective waistcoat in case you breakdown on a dark road, or even the hard shoulder.

You can get these for about £1 now (especially in £1 shops!) :thumleft:

Andy
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

AndyA wrote:Reflective waistcoat in case you breakdown on a dark road, or even the hard shoulder.

Andy

These are mandatory in Belgium (and many other european countries) now. No doubt the UK will follow soon.
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

AndyA wrote:Reflective waistcoat in case you breakdown on a dark road, or even the hard shoulder.

Andy

These are mandatory in Belgium (and many other european countries) now. No doubt the UK will follow soon.
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

WeirdNeville wrote:If it can't be fixed with cable ties and Gaffer Tape then it's not worth fixing.

Short of that I just take my mobile.

:lol: Ill remember that - throw everything else and just take the gaffa tape and tie wraps :mrgreen:

Ive got a high vis vest from a job i used to do - had to take it with us when we went to germany, so ill chuck that in boot aswell :thumleft:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

I love my 'emergency box'. Its cheap and cheerful, but will do the job and is small to carry in frunk:

small toolbox
(£4 from wilkos http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0193592 )
small ratchet set £7 wilkos
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0184172
is great as it goes up to 17" and down to small, and fits in the above tool box. good cause they are true hex/AF's or whatever, so they don't round bolts too easy (obviously wont stand up to full-on spannering, but will get you out of a fix, otherwise add your own better ratchet)

stuff also in tool box:
pliers, blunt and long nose ones
set of small spanners
screwdriver with all bits attachments
latex gloves
tie wraps
jubilee clips - selection
vaccuum hose ~1m
hammer
electrial wire & chock block
electrical tape

also carry:electric pump (CBA with a manual one)
torch
high vis vest
RAC breakdown card
spare tyre
jump leads
jack
water in a 2 litre bottle
brake/clutch fluid small bottle
oil (small one)
Last edited by mr2mk1chick on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

At the moment I never take mine anywhere without a small socket set, ring spanners, 1l of oil and 5l of For-life.

The car did 600+ miles doing an extended round trip to JAE without missing a beat, then overheated 1 mile from home on the way to the barbers. Typical.

Karl_T
Red ones go faster......
j0nathan

Post by j0nathan »

If you are using the car as your daily driver then get a spare set of bulbs.

I also carry jump leads, spare length of vacuum hosing (1m), gaffer tape, foot pump, tyre pressure gauge because the gauges in garages and on the foot pump are rubbish, Swiss Army knife, torch, latex gloves, rag (blue roll), baby wipes (excellent for emergency cleaning oily/greasy car bits and yourself).

For longer journeys I might add coolant, screenwash, oil, a slightly more comprehensive tool set and the manuals because if you need the AA man you can bet he doesn't have a set.

For abroad I add warning triangle, first aid kit, extinguisher, bulbs and any other items legally required for the destination and all contries I might be travelling through.
Last edited by j0nathan on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

mr2mk1chick wrote:I love my 'emergency box'. Its cheap and cheerful, but will do the job and is small to carry in frunk:

That's a good list of bits. Might add a few of those to my little red 'emergency' box.
Red ones go faster......
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

j0nathan wrote:
For abroad I add warning triangle, first aid kit, extinguisher, bulbs and any other items legally required for the destination and all contries I might be travelling through.

LOL - out abroad kit was similar, but Garrick and i decided to take a spare alternator and starter motor too :roll: :lol:
System-G

Post by System-G »

mr2mk1chick wrote:
j0nathan wrote:

LOL - out abroad kit was similar, but Garrick and i decided to take a spare alternator and starter motor too :roll: :lol:

Yup for two reasons:
1] the car has a small history of using those items...
and more importantly
2] They were already in the boot and I CBA to take them out

:whistle:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
j0nathan

Post by j0nathan »

mr2mk1chick wrote:
j0nathan wrote:

Based on personal experience; I understand...
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

With having to keep 3 mk1s on the road sods law would dictate that if I had an emergency kit it'd never be in the right car when I need it, then there's the likelyhood that no matter how comprehensive the kit I'd end up carrying around a whole bunch of useless stuff all of the time whilst not having the one thing I actually need should a problem arise.

For this reason I tend to make do with carrying a mobile phone and an RAC card and letting them deal with it.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”