[Mk2] [Turbo] Intercoolers xs power vrs

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryangt

[Mk2] [Turbo] Intercoolers xs power vrs

Post by ryangt »

just wondering looking around the fourm and seeing people talking about the likes or berk and greddy intercoolers and that they are far far better , i would like to know how much by and why , other than the fact people spent more money so they " think the more ££££ intercoolers are better "

My reason for asking was i used a non brand intercooler on my old s14a on a gt2817r turbo making 360bhp and there was no differnts between other memebers running the same set-up and power , the temps were very much the same .

I would like to see if any one has messured temps and rolling roaded there cars with say a xs power then with a berk on the same car ,
THE DUKE

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Intercoolers xs power vrs

Post by THE DUKE »

Build quality!
ryangt

Post by ryangt »

in what way the material ?
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

From what i've seen its the finish. I've only seen 2 (Branded) XS power coolers. One of which was brand new and held no pressure due to being built by a blind chimp.
ryangt

Post by ryangt »

well a lot of people use them on hear for the sake of a few bad ones which u will get with any product , cant see why u would want to spend 250 more for a brand name , ok on a turbo your paying for engineeing .
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

ryangt wrote:well a lot of people use them on hear for the sake of a few bad ones which u will get with any product , cant see why u would want to spend 250 more for a brand name , ok on a turbo your paying for engineeing .

well any cheaply manufactured part in china is built to such a poor standard,

if you do have manufactured parts from china produced you really need a strict quality testing / inspections as the standard quickly drops, on top of that they build the part to a specification, so if the customer wants to use cheaper weld techniques and materials it also effects the end product,

I know this as i have a lot of experience working with them, I have never heard of any other japanese parts having as many problems as xs power ones do, so yes you pay for what you get.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

greddy ic's and other jap brands, PP, spearco have proven themselves at 500+hp...
(over on the US boards)

have any xs ics got anywhere near this??
McBride

Post by McBride »

xs power say they are rated for 450bhp and no more.
So if your looking at running bolt on mods etc then its a good mod if your looking to go no further (ie bigger turbo rebuild etc,)

Iv just finished putting mines in away to turn the boost up and get it on th rr today ee what it make's

But to be honest i would have rather got the berk kit,

little more money alot less hassle, The amount of leaks etc in my pipework is unreal plus getting he pipes to fit or even reach was a pain.

But its all in now and i might have saved a few pennies but my blood pressure'sthrogh the roof, Another thing is with the xs and cheaper brand ic you dont get the intercooler shroud and spal fan
EarL

Post by EarL »

With things like this, you get what you pay for.

Recommended brands are: GReddy, Pheonix Power (rare), Berk & Spearco as Jim says, but some are veryt hard to find.

A good alternative is to go for a ST205 ChargeCooler instead. More effective at dispersing heat soak, and more or less guaranteed to around 400+bhp.

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

EarL wrote:With things like this, you get what you pay for.

Recommended brands are: GReddy, Pheonix Power (rare), Berk & Spearco as Jim says, but some are veryt hard to find.

A good alternative is to go for a ST205 ChargeCooler instead. More effective at dispersing heat soak, and more or less guaranteed to around 400+bhp.

EarL.

Add to that ARC :thumleft:

Retains the stock shroud so easy to fit as well :D
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

Xs power intercoolers are far better value than any of the other options and I would highly recommend them. I can’t comment on performance at 400 plus bhp but as most owners only tune their cars to around 300 fly bhp anyway for many there is no need to spend more money. My car used to run as well as many cars with the st205 charge coolers too. Even if the quality is slightly lower, does it really matter there are no moving parts and if your were unlucky enough to get one that leaks, you could send it back as they are quite a helpful company.
ryangt

Post by ryangt »

ture i agree no use saying that they cant handle over 400+ bhp if no one has tested them , to make a claim xs power might have tested it what would they have to loose for the sake of some smaco hose and some good clips , i cant see how the other intercoolers are worth much more . plus the chargecooler is good at heatsoak but how many high tuned jap cars in japan use a charge cooler i have only seen big bhp cars use Fmic's , becuase when not on a rolling road and the airspeed is up , i would think a Fmic wins every time .

Return to “Modifications”