R888's > MK1 MR2

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

System-G

R888's > MK1 MR2

Post by System-G »

R888's...

-> I fitted and balanced the tyres/wheels myself on Saturday 16/8/08.
-> Did around 15 laps of Donington to scrub them in and set pressures.
-> Sunday 17/8/08 competed in Toyota Sprint on an airfield - most abrasive one we've driven yet (far more abrasive than Elvington or Bruntingthorpe) - Morning was wet and afternoon dry. Wear to the tyres at the end of the day was definately noticeable.
-> Commuted 16 miles to/from work during the week and also a 70 mile round trip to Silverstone (didn't go on track).
-> Drove 160 miles to Croft and between Jo & I did around 40 laps on the circuit.

NS Front tread is down to minimum road legal depth
NS Rear tread is about 1mm (if not, less) above minimum road legal marks.
OS Front is about 1mm above minimum road legal marks.
OS Rear is about 2mm above minimum road legal marks.

Wear is even accross the surfaces of the tyre and they still offer loads of grip. But I am quite surprised how quickly they have worn.

I will be swapping the tyres on the rims next week to maximise the amount left on them. We have also just ordered another full set as I can see us finishing these off within the next month at this rate!

I was told yesterday at Croft that we were probably running the pressures a little high...
I have been running them 28psi front and 32psi rear (hot - adjusted after 5 or 6 hard laps).

What pressures are the AW11 people running / what is recomended?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
kaiowas

Re: R888's > MK1 MR2

Post by kaiowas »

There's quite a lot of information on the TSS forum here:

http://www.toyota-sprint-series.com/for ... &sk=t&sd=a

Have got the soft or the hard 888s? I'm pretty sure both compounds are available in 15s (We're on the harder of the 2 which is the only option for 14s)
System-G

Post by System-G »

Soft & hard (or medium as it was refered to) is available for the 15's. We opted for the harder compound :thumleft:

According to the info there we're classed as a light car (weighed it at Donny a couple of weeks ago) 8)
So the pressures I am using are within their recommendation for a short sprint., but I suppose longer runs and trackdays will be different again :?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I had a chat about pressures with the MK1-ers at the MR2 Challenge on Saturday in their standard sized R888s, most were going for either 26/28 or 28 all round. What is remarkable is that some of them are still on their original tyres from the start of the season, and they are still road legal!! Your wear sounds a little excessive.

T
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

I'd say you're at the high end of the recommended pressures if not slightly above them.

Not sure if you saw this bit:

Hot & Cold Inflation Pressures for Proxes RA1 & Proxes R888: Due to a casing construction that has less sidewall deflection compared to the Proxes RA1, the Proxes R888 will provide optimum performance with hot and cold inflation pressures which are 2 - 4psi lower compared to the Proxes RA1 with the same using conditions.

So if you knock say 3psi off the recommendations for a light car you've got recommended pressures of 21-29 with the higher end pressures more suited to sprinting. Doing long runs at the pressures you're at probably isn't recommended.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

hmm, going by my ok experience it'll be the airfield which has done for your tyres :-: like I said at the weekend, elvington ate ours in 1/2 a day..
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

i would think definately the airfield killed them, as i was all over the place.
On circuit however i made sure my driving style was as smooth as my skil would alow, and not gettign tyre scrubbage sounds etc.
Simarshy

Post by Simarshy »

Sounds pretty heavy wearing.

I've had the same set on since just after the first sprint, in which time i've done.

3 More sprint races
Trackday around Rockingham
Trackday around Oulton Park
3000 Road miles

They are still roadlegal not loads of tread mind 1-2mm I'd say.

The tyres themselves only start with 5mm - 6mm so lasted well for me. Strange yours have perished so badly. Maybe it's different driving styles :)

Si
Hybrids

Post by Hybrids »

I start with 26 front & 28 rear,
I even out hot to around 30 front 32 rear.
I find with my suspension settings and driving style that it's predicatable

I ran new tyres at Mallory last weekend, a couple of tyres are from the start of the season and have a race or two left in them.
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

That does sound very heavy wear :(
If it helps, this is what Ive had out of my R888's (im in a Mk2)

Ive had mine on for 6000 miles.
1 track day at Rockingham
1 track day at Woodbridge (with GT4OC club)
4 sprint series events

I've just gone below the legal limit now and need to get some new ones.

Most of the time (track day) I even the pressures out to be 28 - 30 on front and 30 - 32 on rear.
System-G

Post by System-G »

I have a new set on order (hopefully fit them at Rockingham this weekend to spare rims).

I really need to suss out what's caused this as it appears to just be the Front Right (N/S) that's taken so much more of a hammering than the rest.

BookaTrack colleagues keep banging on about getting more camber into the geo, but this just generates more understeer and I have had to dial it out on the front a bit.

I have no idea what the rest of the geo is doing either as the car has never been set up properly. Which could be the reason and something I really aught to sort out.

Also one of the BookaTrack instructors heavily critisized my driving saying I go into corners far too hot, then giving a big lift mid corner to get the back around etc... But I don't do this when trying to drive properly and/or quickly - only when I want to play and have a goon (which TBH I was doing a fair bit at the sprint in the wet :mrgreen: )
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Whats your suspension like - TBH thats usually the biggest contributing factor to tire wear.

I have done numerous track days on my RE01's and drift days with them on the front and they are still good. However I have seen the same cars as mine much tires due to their suspension and body roll.

What were the R888's like in the wet?

Cheers

James
System-G

Post by System-G »

Suspension is rock hard - the car really rattles fillings out of teeth :mrgreen:

Although I know all the bushings need replacing (the main reason I've not done any decent geo work on it).

Regular road tyres (Parada Spec2) lasted about 6 track days, 3 sprints and 3k miles commute on the same suspension setup.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

No doubt the airfield will have ripped them up, the R888's really don't cope well in that kind of situation.

Get a spare set of wheels for airfield days and commuting, the R888's should offer good grip until they start to tear providing you don't overheat them.

Jon
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Type/Track ... ition-DOT/
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Bender Unit wrote:
What were the R888's like in the wet?

Cheers

James

brill in the wet - loads of grip, progressive slides.
not too bad for aquaplaning either on the mway
System-G

Post by System-G »

jonb- wrote:No doubt the airfield will have ripped them up, the R888's really don't cope well in that kind of situation.

Get a spare set of wheels for airfield days and commuting, the R888's should offer good grip until they start to tear providing you don't overheat them.

Jon
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Type/Track ... ition-DOT/

Yeah we're almost certain woodbridge shredded them. The surfaces are much more abrasive than Brunters or Elvington and we were pushing the car fairly hard.

I am very impressed with the R888's on the road - even in greasy conditions they offer more grip than most reputed road tyres and that even with the fronts down to legal minimum.

We have an IMOC airfield day coming up where we'll finish this set off and then fit the new set shortly after.

I'm not a fan of airfields - much prefer proper tracks. But regardless, tyres are consumables, like brakes, brake fluid, oil etc... By the end of this year I anticipate having spent over £700 on tyres, £230.00 on brake pads, £150 on brake discs, £160 on oil and £80 on brake fluid. (I'm not even going to try contemplate how much fuel :shock: )And this is all on one car :shock: Quite mad? Nope - I feel it's kinda justified as we spent £60.00 buying the car with 3 months tax on it :mrgreen:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”