Mr smooth in his Boxster

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

michael

Re: Mr smooth in his Boxster

Post by michael »

Envy makes people rather unpleasant doesn't it.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

*sigh* whatever. They make me laugh when I see one, surely a £30k+ motor should actually make you want to take a nosey not overtake it with ease and laugh? You could have an ariel atom or like other people have said, an old 911 which looks FARRRRRR better
michael

Post by michael »

Have you driven one?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Yes, on several occasions. They aren't that bad comfort wise and power isn't bad but nothing worth the price tag. It's the looks that make me gip everytime more than anything
steve b

Post by steve b »

mr2nut123 wrote:And out come the ex-boxster owners/mates got one etc..

They are poo and a shame to the badge. You dig MR2s as much as Lauren, why dont you go to a Mazda forum and Lauren go to a Honda forum and talk about how old and crap MR2s are over there instead.. Ultimate in sadness to be fair

You come across as a very jealous sad person, I have an MR2, as well as a Mazda Eunos & a Honda Accord. Previously I have owned a rev2 n/a, rev2 turbo, mk1, now I have a rev3 n/a. MR2's are great but they are no Boxster. Modified they are faster in a straight line, extensively modified they are as good handling but then remember if the MR2 turbo was sold over here it would have been a good £27K back in the 90's then add on the mods to make it an all round Boxster beater and its the same price as a Boxster... Only reason MR2's are cheap is they are old, value wise if the MR2 T was on sale now it'd be Boxster money.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

steve b wrote:

They are poo and a shame to the badge. You dig MR2s as much as Lauren, why dont you go to a Mazda forum and Lauren go to a Honda forum and talk about how old and crap MR2s are over there instead.. Ultimate in sadness to be fair

You come across as a very jealous sad person, I have an MR2, as well as a Mazda Eunos & a Honda Accord. Previously I have owned a rev2 n/a, rev2 turbo, mk1, now I have a rev3 n/a. MR2's are great but they are no Boxster. Modified they are faster in a straight line, extensively modified they are as good handling but then remember if the MR2 turbo was sold over here it would have been a good £27K back in the 90's then add on the mods to make it an all round Boxster beater and its the same price as a Boxster... Only reason MR2's are cheap is they are old, value wise if the MR2 T was on sale now it'd be Boxster money.

I don't get what the whole jealous point is about as I could afford 5 MR2s if I wanted to and a Boxster if I REALLY wanted but my point is that i'd rather have the MR2 and spend the rest of my cash on other things such as holidays, house etc. From driving both I can honestly say that I prefer the handling and performance from the MR2 and i've had plenty of blats in corners with Boxsters and found myself ahead on several occasions.

The Boxster might be the same price as the MR2 back in the day yes and I know which i'd choose everytime..
andyc1988

Post by andyc1988 »

I really liked the boxster when I had a drive of one seemed like a more refined mr2 in some ways and had some similar attributes that drew me too the 2 ,the noise of the engine, the air rushing through the side vents etc and the interior looked good ,lovely seats imo:thumleft: . They may not be the 911 but they where never ment 2 be a 911, like saying the mr2 is a gay or poor mans supra? which is what ive heard people say before too me :lol:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

The 987S I've driven was a better drive than my old modified mk3 tubby, let alone a mk2. It's a good looking car that (much like the Impreza/Evo/M3) has had it's image tarnished by rude boy owners. Get past the badge and you'll find a truly stunning car that electrifies the senses on every drive. Were it not for the servicing and parts costs, I'd have one over my 350Z ragtop happily.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:roll: Yes the Boxster in pretty much any form is a brilliant car but I think the point is that this wasn't a couple of enthusiasts at "the ring" this was a stereotypical Boxster owner (more than likely bought the car for the prestige badge rather than trackdays) who tried to show off to his girlfriend down some dual carraigeway but got spanked by a Jap car that cost a fraction of the price.
Not one of you can honestly say that you dont enjoy showing a clean pair of heels to newer/more highly regarded machinery.
We all enjoy showing up such people, at least I know I do, and I'm glad that another Boxster owner has had the whitened smile wiped from his face.
I had a similar experiance myself not long after I bought my 2, I was trundling through a village with a 30 limit and passed a parked up Boxster with a middle aged guy wearing a smart shirt tucked into his chinos letting a gorgeous blonde girl into the passenger side. By the time I was about 400m down the road this bloke was all over the back of my car, I couldnt even see his headlights, he followed me like this for a good 1/2 mile until we started to approach a dual carraigeway which is when he decided to start backing off then speeding up repeatedly, so we get to the dual carraigeway and I planted it as did he but to his obvious dismay the crappy old MR2 with its baked bean can exhaust pulled away from his premium badged sportscar with relative ease. At the end of the dual carraigeway the road enters a 40 zone so I slowed to the limit and glanced in my mirror to see a deflated looking Boxster driver with a passenger who was p1$$ing herself.

That is what owning an old, quick and pretty much unknown car is all about.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well the thing about the Boxster that I loved is that it is effortless. No it is not going to beat a tubby - but it is not about being an SLJ car. You don't have to 'tune' it or uprate the suspension or the brakes, it's just a great car out of the box - a car you could do 120 in all the way to the south of France and arrive refreshed. MR2s, I'm sorry, do not compare in that department.

But yes after driving an equivalently priced second hand 911 I did love that more. :mrgreen:

T
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Mike wrote::roll: Yes the Boxster in pretty much any form is a brilliant car but I think the point is that this wasn't a couple of enthusiasts at "the ring" this was a stereotypical Boxster owner (more than likely bought the car for the prestige badge rather than trackdays) who tried to show off to his girlfriend down some dual carraigeway but got spanked by a Jap car that cost a fraction of the price.
Not one of you can honestly say that you dont enjoy showing a clean pair of heels to newer/more highly regarded machinery.
We all enjoy showing up such people, at least I know I do, and I'm glad that another Boxster owner has had the whitened smile wiped from his face.

And there's been far more Boxster owners who have pi$$ed all over that cheap ugly Jap box 'o crap that thought they were quicker. So what? The driver's the idiot, not the car.

Say what you like, but every time one of these threads gets posted with the 'I beat smug guy in car that cost more than mine but is more expensive and a nicer place to be and a better drive', it all just smacks of jealousy. When I see a nice car I don't try and plant it past him to prove any kind of point, as I'd much rather sit behind it and listen to the engine noise if it's something decent and he's driving it spiritedly. If some idiot starts sitting on my ar$e when I'm out for a blat I just pull over and let them past, and I really couldn't care less if they think they've 'won' (happened the other night with an early Impreza tubby who refused to get more than 4" off my ar$e when I got a chance to boot it. I wasn't out driving to prove my car was faster than his, but I bet he thought exactly what you did about old cheap Jap machinery when he went past the Zed on full boost).
Mike

Post by Mike »

ekona wrote:
Mike wrote::roll: Yes the Boxster in pretty much any form is a brilliant car but I think the point is that this wasn't a couple of enthusiasts at "the ring" this was a stereotypical Boxster owner (more than likely bought the car for the prestige badge rather than trackdays) who tried to show off to his girlfriend down some dual carraigeway but got spanked by a Jap car that cost a fraction of the price.

So what? The driver's the idiot, not the car.

Exactly, if you read my post I state at the very start that "the Boxster in any form is a brilliant car". I then go on to describe how the driver I encountered fitted the popular stereotypes that go with driving a Boxster and how he drove like a xxxx.

It might also help if you read the title of the thread i.e. the "Mr Smooth" bit.

I dont think MR2NUT intended this topic to be an attack on Boxsters, rather an attack on the numpty who was driving that particular car.
But as usual the same old faces pop up and turn the topic into something it isnt.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Mike wrote:
ekona wrote:

So what? The driver's the idiot, not the car.

Exactly, if you read my post I state at the very start that "the Boxster in any form is a brilliant car". I then go on to describe how the driver I encountered fitted the popular stereotypes that go with driving a Boxster and how he drove like a twit.

It might also help if you read the title of the thread i.e. the "Mr Smooth" bit.

I dont think MR2NUT intended this topic to be an attack on Boxsters, rather an attack on the numpty who was driving that particular car.
But as usual the same old faces pop up and turn the topic into something it isnt.

That's exactly what it was, thanks. I'm sick of getting the whole 'your a jealous xxxx' commentry from the same people. Get it into your tiny skulls...i'm not jealous as I could afford one if I wanted to....so what exactly am I jealous about?! :roll:

My post was intended to be humourous and it certaintly was, even my misses was p1$$ing herself at this startled guy wondering what just happened and the blonde not looking impressed. The Boxster is a smooth driving car with a good quality engine, I never said it wasn't, but for that amount of money they are shocking and don't even look nice at all. It's an overpriced, underpowered car hiding under a pedigree badge, simple as that and I CHOOSE to have my old banger jap crap whatever you want to call it MR2 over it. If you have these thoughts maybe you should stay clear of jap crap forums?
michael

Post by michael »

...and maybe you should calm down and stop being so superficial about everything.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Hmm, don't knock it til you try it, the boxster is a better handling car than a 20 year old design MR2, and i'm pretty sure in a straight line IF you were both trying, there wouldnt be anything in it; a rev 2 'only' has 221bhp.
i had a tustle with a boxster S when my power output was 250ish @gfly and I couldnt pull past him, but then again i'm a good boy now and dont race on roads :eye:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

ryan wrote:

Hmm, don't knock it til you try it, the boxster is a better handling car than a 20 year old design MR2, and i'm pretty sure in a straight line IF you were both trying, there wouldnt be anything in it; a rev 2 'only' has 221bhp.
i had a tustle with a boxster S when my power output was 250ish @gfly and I couldnt pull past him, but then again i'm a good boy now and dont race on roads :eye:

Read above post, I have tried one several times. The reason I said I flew past him (and believe me, he gunned it first) it because im at 16psi with a ct20 and other mods so around 280-290bhp with far more torque. I do realise mine is modded but like already said a few times, the MR2 wasn't tuned to it's full potential so that it didn't make the Supra look slow which was at the time Toyotas bigger money maker.

I dont know how this threads turned into this again and Michael, it's hardly the kind of response you should get being called sad and jealous for putting up a funny experience in my car, isn't that what forums are all about? Over on the OC fellow members at least offer some humour about posts and are more laid back about stuff. This place has the tech guys without a shadow of a doubt, it's invaluable to me but in the future i'm going to only use this place for the tech stuff as everytime a member posts experiences the same few people keep shouting how xxxx MR2s are and that they weren't trying. It's simple, if you dont agree/believe, don't post on the threads and keep it to yourself instead of trying to demoralise enthusiasts.
michael

Post by michael »

mr2nut123 wrote:
and Michael, it's hardly the kind of response you should get being called sad and jealous for putting up a funny experience in my car, isn't that what forums are all about?

Can you point out where I said that you are sad please?

Forums are about 2-way chat, you post, people reply, opinions sometimes differ, that's what we have here, it's a basic chat with only one person getting uptight about the content.

Perhaps you had to be there to get the humour from the situation *shrug*

Over on the OC fellow members at least offer some humour about posts and are more laid back about stuff.

I've seen plenty of humour on IMOC in the past and in recent times, perhaps the punchline was lacking in this case?

This place has the tech guys without a shadow of a doubt, it's invaluable to me but in the future i'm going to only use this place for the tech stuff as everytime a member posts experiences the same few people keep shouting how xxxx MR2s are and that they weren't trying.

Please don't try to bypass the profanity filter in future.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89748

No bad language or swearing: We encourage you to use the Forum here to debate topics, but please use proper adjectives to express yourself. We do not tolerate circumvention of our word filter

You started a topic, people expressed their thoughts, you didn't agree, toys left the pram as a result... I don't see how this is a failing on the part of IMOC or the forum software being used, surely it's just a basic difference of opinion between a small number of members?

Or do you judge forums in the same way as you judge Porsche owners? :-k

It's simple, if you dont agree/believe, don't post on the threads and keep it to yourself instead of trying to demoralise enthusiasts.

We are all here because we are car enthusiasts, what's really simple is being able to keep an open mind and not get all giddy if someone says something you don't agree with. You beat what you consider to be a rubbish car in a race, you reported on this, the audience wasn't as impressed / amused as you hoped... I'm sorry about that.

Enjoy your car for what it is and stop trying to justify yourself all the time, if the events of the original post made you happy and like your car even more then so be it, just don't expect everyone else to feel the same way.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

I didnt try bypass the filter, when you type 'that word' it replaces the i with a 1 as do most forum templates

Some people did find it funny and also a few people brought up the fact that you lot always say MR2s are incapable and rubbish all the time it's not just me who can see this. This is turning into a special olympic post so i'm off.

I never beat the Porsche now I remember, he was soooo far ahead I couldn't see it and the Porsche Boxster is the best out there, with it's supercar looks and performance and that almighty Porsche badge, i'm getting all exciting just thinking about it..
michael

Post by michael »

I'm glad to hear you've finally managed to come to terms with things.

Have a lovely afternoon :thumleft:
jamiesi

Post by jamiesi »

jerry jerry jerry :lol:

Return to “Driving Experiences”