Mr smooth in his Boxster

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

mr2nut123

Mr smooth in his Boxster

Post by mr2nut123 »

There he is with his shirt and sungigs on with a tidy blonde in the passenger seat, showing off in daddys car. Not even the S model so around 220bhp and 190ish fp torque from what I can remember?

He gunned it in 2nd dropping a gear on our private quarter-mile track, I thought i'd let him believe he was getting ahead by accelerating in 3rd off boost and was going to gun past once boost kicked in... I was totally suprised to find that even at low rpm on turbo spool I was keeping up. Was quite amusing once the turbo spun up and I absolutely shot past as it was a spec in the mirror. I tried to slow down to 'congratulate' him but he insisted on staying back at around 40mph.

The look on the birds face he was trying to soooo badly impress....priceless! You can just imagine the excuses from him "it's alright love, I wasn't trying" I think she knew otherwise :wink:

Toyota, you rock 8)
Ekona

Re: Mr smooth in his Boxster

Post by Ekona »

Maybe he was just out driving to the limits of his car? Who's to say he was even trying to race you?

Heaven forbid a car with less power and heavier than yours is slower in a straight line! ;) :lol:
steve b

Post by steve b »

He's still the man in the car worth 3x yours.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

steve b wrote:He's still the man in the car worth 3x yours.

That looks 3 times as pants.. Is money everything?! Banger racing and quad biking is I dare say more fun than TOTB straightlining which costs a bomb? Each to their own. I prefer older shaped cars and I only see it a benefit that they're cheap
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

They're not that quick in a straight line. But try and find any one in the know who ever says they're a bad car.

Not some one who's never driven one but a real critic who has driven that and thousands of other cars.

The Cayman is a far nicer looking Porsche than the Boxter though.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Probably a tubby could take a 2.7 in a straight line easy. On a track though with braking involved would be an interesting match! I :lover: the Boxster after driving the 3.2S. Might have one one day.
T
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

tonigmr2 wrote:Probably a tubby could take a 2.7 in a straight line easy. On a track though with braking involved would be an interesting match! I :lover: the Boxster after driving the 3.2S. Might have one one day.
T

the 3.2S aint bad but still, at that price I still don't see it as a nice Porsche to be honest. Much rather have this and the rest for modding cash :thumleft:

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazin ... p?id=11422
michael

Post by michael »

The Boxter is a very capable car that's had it's image tarnished by the sort of people who buy them and make a big deal out of the badge, try one and I'm fairly sure you'll be impressed.

Just don't do this to it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0239752293
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

michael wrote:The Boxter is a very capable car that's had it's image tarnished by the sort of people who buy them and make a big deal out of the badge, try one and I'm fairly sure you'll be impressed.

Just don't do this to it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0239752293

Is it wrong to like that? :eye:
T
michael

Post by michael »

tonigmr2 wrote:
Is it wrong to like that? :eye:
T

Yes, have a word with yourself.
mcoppen

Post by mcoppen »

Problem is though if your not buying it for the badge what are you buying it for? There are a lot better cars out there for the money, so the only real decding factor can be that you want a porsche. And everyone that seems to drive one thinks they are in a 911 turbo. Which is a shame as i'm sure they are a good car, just overpriced and tarnished by a bad reputation.
michael

Post by michael »

mcoppen wrote:Problem is though if your not buying it for the badge what are you buying it for?

What would you have for the money?
mcoppen

Post by mcoppen »

Is a lot of options. Bases spec boxster is £33k? Fully kitted google says around £45k. Thats a lot of money. Could buy some serious car for that.
I can see your point though, as there are not many 2 seater convertables around that price. Would probably go for the Nissan 350z Nismo z-tune. Well within the £33k mark with some money left over for a few more options. Maybe an exige/elise, certainly another option, perhaps a bit more of a race/performance orientated one than the 350Z.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

How much is the SLK AMG?

I'd personally get a used 911 over a new Boxter.
michael

Post by michael »

matt_mr2t wrote:How much is the SLK AMG?

Lots more, if it wasn't I'd probably have one myself. They seem reluctant to lose much value used too.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Tiny

Post by Tiny »

70-80's 911 for the price of a 2nd hand boxster i know what i would choose.
jamiesi

Post by jamiesi »

a boxster is a poor mans porsche :lol: i would rather have a 2nd hand 911 to a new boxster all day long
steve b

Post by steve b »

jamiesi wrote:a boxster is a poor mans porsche :lol: i would rather have a 2nd hand 911 to a new boxster all day long

A Boxster, £8K 2nd hand to £45K new is a POOR mans Porsche,... I'd have a 2nd hand 911, £8K 2nd hand to £100K new, you'll never get as good a 911 as the equavalent priced Boxster...

How is the guy that buys the new Boxster poor? Can he not afford a 2nd hand 911, easily i'd argue?

If a Boxster is a poor mans 911, what exactly is the MR2? A peasants Lotus Esprit?
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

And out come the ex-boxster owners/mates got one etc..

They are poo and a shame to the badge. You dig MR2s as much as Lauren, why dont you go to a Mazda forum and Lauren go to a Honda forum and talk about how old and crap MR2s are over there instead.. Ultimate in sadness to be fair

Return to “Driving Experiences”