Bottom clenching moment

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Bottom clenching moment

Post by tonigmr2 »

Lovely sunny day. Driving up the motorway in the Roadster with the roof down, radio blaring, sunglasses on, minding my own business.

Overtake an 18 wheeler.

BANG :bang:

Fecker had a blowout when I was level with him. That was LOUD with the roof down!! Next thing he is swerving all over the road and I am getting a shower of rubber. :pale:

Luckily he made it onto the hard shoulder. Where I look up at him...and he is on the 'phone. :angry:

/had to pick little bits of rubber out of the cabin.
T
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Re: Bottom clenching moment

Post by SySanguinary »

Makes you jump doesn't it. :D

I had one a few years ago on the M25. I had to drive onto the verge next to the central reservation to avoid the debris.

Not good that a 'professional' driver is on the phone though.

Hope no damage was done to the roadster...
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

None at all, just little bouncy bits of rubber everywhere! His blow out was actually on the nearside....

The smoke it put out was quite impressive! :shock:
T
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Bloody hell, what are the odds of that??!! :pale:

Maybe he pulled over and then got on the phone? Just playing devils advocate :) All I know is that the first thing I'd be doing is emptying my pants, not making a phone call lol.

Reminds me a bit of when a friends of mine (runs an ice cream delivering company) had a new tyre put on his truck. As the fitter was inflating the tyre it exploded lol, he couldn't hear for 2 days afterwards :lol:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

You must have been picking out bits of something else as well :shock:

Well done for avoiding an accident. I saw a lorry blow out about 300 yards in front of. The noise at that distance in a tin-top was loud enough, so I can't even imagine what it must have been like for you.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I did nearly fall out of the car it was so loud!! It was just a WTF is that moment! I braked which is when the lorry began to swerve so I timed it just right. :pale: Only then did I see the smoke...

Plus that fecker was definitely on the phone the whole time. ](*,)
T
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I think I would have dropped my guts to be frankly honest.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

tonigmr2 wrote:
Plus that fecker was definitely on the phone the whole time.

In that case then, he really does deserve to be beaten with a very large stick. Driving a truck/lorry/arctic is dangerous enough, without the added distraction of a phone ](*,)
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Similar thing happened to a work mate last week, coming off a round about onto a dual carriage way she was just about to over take the lorry when a flat bed carrying two very large cranes had a blow out causing the lorry to swerve and one of the cranes fall of right in front of her
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Did you pull over in front of the lorry once it had come to a rest on the hard shoulder and called the police i know i would have.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

No, tbh I was having a 'thank f*ck I'm alive' moment and didn't stop! Probably should of in retrospect. :-k
T
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

tonigmr2 wrote:No, tbh I was having a 'thank f*ck I'm alive' moment and didn't stop! Probably should of in retrospect. :-k
T

I must admit a similar thing happened to me on the M67 a few weeks back. Now I think why the hell didn't I call the police? But at the time when your adrenalin is up you are just glad to have come through in one piece!

Glad your okay Toni! Things like that are especially scary driving a car so low down

I was behind a flatbed van carrying a load of rolled up carpets (not secured) and one bounced off and started rolling towards me on the motorway in the fast lane! It was like something out of a cartn Luckily he was some distance ahead so I had time to swerve round it and put my hazards on to warn the drivers behind. (though I think the gigantic roll of carpet bearing down on them probably got their attention just as well!)

Rounding the next bend I was half expecting to encounter two dudes walking a plate of glass across the road or an impromtu street market with copious amounts of watermelons and chickens in wooden crates!
Rhiannan

Post by Rhiannan »

God I hate it when people are on the phone while driving, i've passed people on a very narrow backroad coming round a blind corner and they are on the phone :evil: morons.

I've seen artic drivers reading the newspaper while driving [-X
Most artic drivers are pretty good though, so I'm not tarring them all with the same brush.
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

matt_mr2t wrote:I think I would have dropped my guts to be frankly honest.

Classic burst out laughing when I read that! :lol:
Running: 313.8BHP @ fly and 285lb torque on 1.15bar.
MY MR2 FOR SALE: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109986
The-Shield

Post by The-Shield »

tonigmr2 wrote:No, tbh I was having a 'thank f*ck I'm alive' moment and didn't stop! Probably should of in retrospect. :-k
T

Can you remember the haulage company? If so I'd be reporting it to the police anyway. They can look at his phone records to see whether he was on the phone and match it to his driving hours tacho counter thingy ma jigger, I think.

It's just not on. Using the phone while driving a car is bad enough, let alone an 18 wheeler.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

All I remember is a fecking big truck and BANG!! I was hyperventilating after that, so no unfortunately! :o :)

edit: though thinking about it I do remember the trailer being plain - there was writing on the cab but tbh I was a tad distracted!
T

Return to “Driving Experiences”