Quick alternator question

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mk1 envy

Quick alternator question

Post by mk1 envy »

Been putting my car back together after head gasket and cambelt change - and i got to the stage of putting alternator belt back on

Now should the alternator pulley spin freely by hand? If so i think mine is seized, which is abit odd as i didnt experience any loss of power before the car blew up, surely i would have felt a loss of power if the alternator was seized?

It does explain the chewed up alternator belt though #-o

Thanks

Teegs x
jamiesi

Re: Quick alternator question

Post by jamiesi »

the alt pulley should spin by hand this happened to my one it seized up and chucked the belt off :(
flippin'eck

Post by flippin'eck »

Seem to recall a post of Jimi's not long ago which mentioned crud & rust & stuff getting stuck between the rotor and the stator being a very common cause of this. It's supposed to be a very small gap.

About a year ago I took my alternator apart because it wasn't spinning freely & indeed the above did seem to be the case - cleaned it all up, reassembled, and it's spun ok ever since.
System-G

Post by System-G »

You're right Tegan, the altenator is seized, but based on your recent coolant explotion and the fact the car has been stood for a long while since, I would be inclined to think that the water/coolant has caused the bearings to seize.

Also looking at the belt in your other thread, it is possible that the pulley was partially seized (or not rotating freely), but still putting out enough charge not to cause an alarm.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

flippin'eck wrote:Seem to recall a post of Jimi's not long ago which mentioned crud & rust & stuff getting stuck between the rotor and the stator being a very common cause of this. It's supposed to be a very small gap.

About a year ago I took my alternator apart because it wasn't spinning freely & indeed the above did seem to be the case - cleaned it all up, reassembled, and it's spun ok ever since.

Is it fairly easy to take apart then? Is it worth doing it myself instead of buying a new one or getting it reconditioned?

Garrick - it could have been partially seized, i dont know to be honest, the belt was squealing for a few weeks before it exploded but it wasnt a constant squeal - it went away then came back.

Teegs x
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

It should cost about £25-30 to get it refurbed and the 2 bearings reaplaced. Not really worth doing it yourself.
flippin'eck

Post by flippin'eck »

I was curious as to what was inside, I can't quite remember the exact details but I had to weld some bars up at one point to prise it apart. Wasn't too worried if things snapped as I had a bunch of spare alternator parts handy.

If I'd known at the time that it could be refurbed for that sort of money I'm not sure I'd have bothered!
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

right dont think ill have a go myself then sounds like trouble lol :lol: - just called the parts place to get replacement and he asked me if it was a 60amp or 70amp alternator? I dont know and i cant find it in the manual - does anyone know so i can phone him back , thanks

Teegs x
System-G

Post by System-G »

:shock:

Never knew there were two for the N/A :?

I know the SC's one is different, but not sure what the current differences would be... Sorry :oops:
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

Do you think the toyota dealer would be able to find out? I know they are a bit useless but im sure they have the means to find out these things? :?:

Teegs x
System-G

Post by System-G »

MrT will be able to tell you if you give them your reg and/or vin :thumleft:
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

just phoned them and gave him the chassis number and he said they only have options for the 70amp - so i guess its 70 amp then, i loved the prices aswell

£184.22 +£30 surcharge for a recon unit

and wait for it.............. £389.72 (+ vat) for a new one! :o :shock: :lol:

Guess ill be phoning the parts store back then lol

Teegs x
jamiesi

Post by jamiesi »

mk1 envy wrote:right dont think ill have a go myself then sounds like trouble lol :lol: - just called the parts place to get replacement and he asked me if it was a 60amp or 70amp alternator? I dont know and i cant find it in the manual - does anyone know so i can phone him back , thanks

Teegs x

im pretty sure n/a's are 70a but a toyota dealer is worth a call :wink:
jamiesi

Post by jamiesi »

scrap my post then :lol:
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

I appreciate the reply - backs up what the dealer told me so that reassures me that theyve got it right :oldtongue: :thumleft:

Parts store quoted me £99.90 + vat for a new one - looking at the dealer prices that seems like a good option and ill have it tomorow afternoon - is that a good price?

Teegs x
jamiesi

Post by jamiesi »

:D whats the company name of the parts store?
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

Davmac spares - based in sutton on ashfield near notts

Teegs x
jamiesi

Post by jamiesi »

i would say camberley auto factors because they are very cheap on mk1 bits but your up in the midlands :( :lol: but 99+vat seems a fair price... have you tried ebay?
System-G

Post by System-G »

Teegan I have a working spare here (just of J22 of the M1). Only thing is the bolt sheared when I tried tightening the belt and the stud is left in the thread. Could be easily drilled out and re-tapped (unless you have a stud extractor kit, then even easier).

You're welcome to it for £30.00 plus your old altenator I can get refurbished :thumleft:
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

Oops wish i seen this like two minutes earlier - just found one on mr2oc for £60 delivered, hopefully it wont take too long to arrive then the car can be finished this week at last!

Thanks anyway G :thumleft:

Teegs x

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”