The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

slipping clutch wrote:top work from you and Peter Phil- I'm enjoying the thread again. :thumleft:

Thanks Martin. :)

Spent a full day up there today and we ploughed through a huge amount of tasks. It's back on four wheels and most of the engine stuff is done. Just the CC to finish off then replace the front tension rods, alignment and a few other bits. All ready for collection tomorrow night and hopefully that long awaited boosting on the way home. Weather permitting of course :pray:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

marshiboi wrote:I've read all 40 odd pages of this thread with interest, so much care and effort has been taken.

Was so gutted when you lost her in the rain, I must be one of the slowest people on the roads when out in the rain in my 2, or was when she wasn't SORN'd

Keep up the amazing work! :clap:

Thanks for your comments :thumleft:

It's been an eventful 9 months since I bought my first '2 and started the journey. Tomorrow though it steps one step closer to completion :D
stephano

Post by stephano »

holy shiii you've built 2 Phat mr2's in 9 months and all my mrs has done is get really fat!
how is being pregnant hard work!? i should show here this thread then she will see how easy she has it!

:lol: [-(
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Hahaha, you should definitely not do that. Well, if you do, take pictures of the before and after shots of her face then your face :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I picked up a somewhat neglected blue car at the end of November last year, with no clue what half the parts fitted to it did! It's been a steep learning curve but I've had some great advice and great teachers along the way. For which I'm most grateful for :thumleft: Roll on routine maintenance costs only though. It's been an expensive year! :lol:

I don't plan on doing this again though, not for myself at least. I have developed a love of doing all the detail and custom work though. Something I'd like to explore more in the future I think :-k
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Magic Beans wrote:I don't plan on doing this again though, not for myself at least. I have developed a love of doing all the detail and custom work though. Something I'd like to explore more in the future I think :-k

You know my thoughts on your project mate - I love it :thumleft:
I think we have a similar mindset to our work - you've just managed to get a lot more done than me in the same amount of time! Lol.

Kudos for keeping going when "the blue one" killed itself! Lol.

Maybe fancy a joint venture in valets and detailing work in the future?
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
stephano

Post by stephano »

Magic Beans wrote:Hahaha, you should definitely not do that. Well, if you do, take pictures of the before and after shots of her face then your face :mrgreen:

her face would look far worse..... i know kung fu!! :lol:

disclaimer!! ive never hit a woman because of IMOC

if all goes well with your possible venture ill save you a space on the Banshee for a few stickers
in exchange for a bit of detailing of course \:D/
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Home, safe, happy! :D

Now sleep

Tomorrow more words to come and maybe a photo or two :mrgreen:
ashley

Post by ashley »

\:D/
craig

Post by craig »

Good stuff mate! \:D/
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

bet that was a tense drive home Phil - looking forward to the photos and write up later.- in the words of my youngest nephew "much respect"
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Where the update =P~ Lol

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

KarlBristol wrote:Where the update =P~ Lol

Last report was all ok and he was busy scaring himself on the open road. :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
KarlBristol wrote:Where the update =P~ Lol

Last report was all ok and he was busy scaring himself on the open road. :mrgreen:

I wasn't that scared :whistle: :lol:

Sat with a cup of tea, now to the typing and uploading bit :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Well then, where to start :-k I guess it's only logical to pick up where we left off a couple of days ago. There's not a whole load of photos of the build over the last couple of days, as well the build itself has been more important :wink:

We left things with both engines being out and the old engine ready to move into it's new home

Out with the chains and in it goes

Engine in place it was time to add bits like the poly engine mounts and all manner of new bits. One of which goes on here

Et voila

That's where we'll leave the engine, for now. :wink:

Yesterday I took delivery of a load of freshly powder coated bits. I chose Arctic White as the colour, as their brief was "Use the whitest white you have".

The brackets for the Cusco front brace

Assembled

Rear brace next

I'm thrilled with how they turned out! The colour is a perfect white for the car, which I was a little worried about :thumleft:

There's a few other bits too, but we'll get to them later.. Meanwhile, back to the car. Front end removed from it's cover and back on the ground

The same for the back. It's getting close now :D

It lives!

Well, now it's alive it's only fitting that any living thing have a name. But what to call it :-k :-k

I think we all knew what it would be. There was never any doubt in my mind as to it's identity and now it's alive it needs it's name badge back. This time with a fresh powdery coat, to reflect it's beautiful new physique. :D

I guess we need to get these bits mounted then, as I suppose you'll all be wanting to see the finished article :wink:

The front before (terrible phone picture :( )

And now

Splendid :thumleft:

I also had a little something done for the interior. I wasn't happy with where the EVC was mounted and besides, I did spend hours making this thing :lol:

Fitted and matching perfectly (minus the pearl finish of course)

So I guess it's time to move onto the main event, the heart of the beast. So after many weeks of planning, countless hours of hard work from Peter, blood (mainly mine), sweat, no tears though (I'm a man after all), ladies and gentlemen: I give you 'The Mule' \:D/ \:D/

FPR in place, with the luxury of it being able to sit proud of where the lid would normally be :thumleft:

I'm over the moon with how it's turned out! :D Peter had artistic license when it came to replacing seals, bearing, bushing, any mechanical really. We both wanted this engine (and car as a whole) fully sorted, with no issues of any kind. Peter's put in some serious hard work and late nights and has gone the extra mile on all aspects of this project. Something for which I'm massively grateful for :clap: It was also his idea to replace the blue hoses (which worked well on the blue car) with black throughout, apart from the air lines. It works, it looks get and suits the overall monochrome look of the car perfectly (in my eyes).

So how does it handle? It's perfect! The combination of refurbing the calipers, adding the Carbotechs, Goodridge lines, Cusco pillow balls, Toms under body brace, new track rod ends and four wheel alignment, mean the chassis and brakes are fully sorted. This thing's planted! No more dodgy brakes, wheel shake, vague handling and generally unforgiving feel to the drive. Sit, steer, go and enjoy :thumleft:

And the power? Mother of god it pulls hard! With the standard engine it was a pretty quick car, but it had the same feel as you're average quick everyday car. Now though with the old engine, which was already a bit of a weapon, but now with the timing, cams, shims etc etc sorted, it's brutally quick. The best thing now is that it has the handling and grip to utilise all the power. Stamp on the "Go" pedal in 2nd gear and there's no tyre spinning, it just goes. I guess this is where the 275s come into their own :thumleft:

I couldn't be happier with the car I've got now. It's been a long and winding 9 months since I started my '2 journey and there's certainly been some highs and lows. Now though it's all written into history.

What's next? Sufficed to say I have a few things in the pipeline :whistle: :wink: I need to finish wrapping the pipework, probably using Nimbus and heat wrap but one solid piece of Nimbus. It wouldn't be the same if it didn't take 10 hours to make that perfect piece now would it :lol:

I guess I should stop rambling on now, as I'm bored of typing and you're probably bored of reading :lol:

Thanks again to you Peter, you can get some sleep now :mrgreen:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Looks really good mate :thumleft:
Can't wait to see it in the flesh :D (or for a few drag races :whistle:
I bet your well chuffed!!!

craig

Post by craig »

Awesome stuff mate, very jealous!

Car looks sweet, and bet it shifts even sweeter!

Well done :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Thanks guys :D

Very pleased with it. It's the car I always had in my mind's eye but now it's in my garage :)

Spent the afternoon cleaning the interior stuff (carpets, dash, boot, frunk etc), ready for the big clean and polish of the exterior tomorrow. Good job the female's away this weekend, although she could be useful for the drying part :-k :lol:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Thank you for the feedback Phil - i'm glad the results were as you expected.

Now then, what's all this your female told me - about you spending hours in the shower polishing your parts?? :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

Yeah Phil what's all this about? Polishing your parts in the shower? :-k

:sick:

Do you have a cam cover floating around in the bath with you? :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

:lol: Ya pair of b******* :mrgreen:

Wise man say "Man who doesn't keep his parts clean runs risk of them not working when they are needed" :wink:

Return to “Member Profiles”