Raybrig headlights

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SwissHeavy

Re: Raybrig headlights

Post by SwissHeavy »

Yeah you're right matey. My main bone of contention is that dipped beam doesn't offer enough 'length' i.e. I can't see far enough. HID makes the most sense. But the way I am looking at it is for the proper set up, £250 for HID and Raybrigs or £375 for Rev6 quads. Either option I don't really want to be spending on the car atm. I am very much thinking about just running the car into the ground (however many years that will last) rather than improving on it. I keep on changing minds.

If I was to just get the Raybrigs for now (my original plan) I don't think it would improve the length, just improve the brightness of what can be seen. Which isn't my issue.

Tricky wicky :-s
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Turbo-G wrote:
SwissHeavy wrote:After reading it all and the HID group buy - all 9 pages! I've decided HID is what I need first.

But you also need clear lenses ideally with HID. The standard lenses break up the beam too much so Im assuming they may not be the best if you want the light to look crisp.

Im getting bi-Xennon HID from canada very soon for like £126 :) Raybrigs are also on order.

Agreed, for the ultimate lighting you need both.

Tbh, Raybrigs with standard bulbs will probably give you twice as much light output, or so I understand. You really need Raybrigs in addition to HID bulbs to make the most of it.

FWIW the HID kits come with balasts which need to be wired direct to your battery and they pretty much do away with all your current headlight wiring I think - I'll wait 'til I get the instructions though first!!
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

SwissHeavy wrote:Yeah you're right matey. My main bone of contention is that dipped beam doesn't offer enough 'length' i.e. I can't see far enough. HID makes the most sense. But the way I am looking at it is for the proper set up, £250 for HID and Raybrigs or £375 for Rev6 quads. Either option I don't really want to be spending on the car atm. I am very much thinking about just running the car into the ground (however many years that will last) rather than improving on it. I keep on changing minds.

If I was to just get the Raybrigs for now (my original plan) I don't think it would improve the length, just improve the brightness of what can be seen. Which isn't my issue.

Tricky wicky :-s

Well rev 6 lights aren't HID mate. They may have clear lenses so yeh, you've no need to go with the Raybrigs, particularly as they won't fit :eye:

If you don't plan on spending any money, get off me thread :twisted: Only joking mate :lol:

The 'length' would probably be slightly improved with Raybrigs, seeing as you current light fades near the end of the beam. Of course the potential length of your beam is dictated by the MOT man anyway, you can only improve on brightness :thumleft:
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Nah exactly Leon! Even with the Rev6's I'd then need to slam a HID set up with them, pushing them close to £500. Indeed my original thinking was get the Raybrigs now and HID's later. But then I don't like to delay stuff!

I was planning on shutting up after "After reading it all and the HID group buy - all 9 pages! I've decided HID is what I need first." As that's as brief as I could be, but afterwards felt I needed to justify myself more as I know people are eagerly waiting someone to come in to make the 10th person.

Also, aren't the Raybrigs not 'E' approved whereas the HID set up is? WTF is going on there with regards to legality? E.g illegal lenses but legal lights?!

Sorry to be an ar$e! I'll shut up now O:)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Well AFAIK, the Raybrigs are not even E marked so are technically illegal. As to whether a police officer would ever know the difference, I think you'd be unlucky to get done for it.

The HIDs are E marked but still illegal :roll: You can legally buy them but not fit them! Its because older headlights do not have the projector style lenses that newer cars have and the beam tends to disperse a bit. Basically anything that's not factory seems illegal.

Feck it I say, if they're good enough for Pete, they're good enough for me :twisted:
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Nah ur right me old mukka Leon. For £250, you'll get a massive improvment in night lighting which is worth it - legal or not, they won't notice (look at Range Rovers - their lights are ridculous.)

It's just atm I don't wanna make a half hearted attempt at it. Once more I've just purchased an expensive piece of jewellry for someone, and I am STILL waiting for a job to be finished by SBITS. So it's been an expensive week already. :lol:

Comon somebody! Get on board with this.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

SwissHeavy wrote:I've just purchased an expensive piece of jewellry for someone

Dude, you really shouldn't have 8-[
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

It's in the post :wink: :mrgreen:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jakirby

Post by jakirby »

I had Raybrigs fitted just before christmas at SBITs, and I can say without doubt they have much improved output. I know Peter was very impressed. Not quite as good as the Rev6 option, but good value. Having just come back from a drive in the dark/rain I can confirm that they give a much brighter light, esp on full beam. The most noticible thing about them is that the cutoff from light to dark is VERY sharp. This means that the MOT tester can adjust the lights to the very limit of their length setting, giving you the best view legally possible, without blinding the oncoming traffic.

Without moving the lights to a much higher position as in a RR, there isn't any way that you can improve the distance you can see with dipped beams.

Oh, many thanks to TCB, my girlfriend was able to order the lights with very little understanding of what she was talking about, and the delivery was excellent. Good Job!
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Ok so I am expecting bank transfers to clear in the next couple of days from the following:

1. Me (already cleared lol)
2. injury_ian
3. GT Rich (already cleared)
4. Cantfindausername - first set
5. Cantfindausername - second set
6. Slarty
7. monkeymax

Waiting to be contacted by:

8. deadhumancollector
9. Gary ST165

:whistle:

*edited*
Babboon

Post by Babboon »

If its not too late I think I'll go for a set of these as well to go with the HID kit from the group buy.
PM me details if its still possible to get in on this, Ta.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

\:D/

PM on its way...
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

well mine has already left my bank account... lets see just how long the banks hold on to it for to get their interest on it... theiving gits :-k :mad:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Babboon

Post by Babboon »

Lol, mine left my bank account as soon as I set up the transfer.
Money and details sent \:D/
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Good stuff. Update:

2. injury_ian
4. Cantfindausername - first set
5. Cantfindausername - second set
6. Slarty
7. monkeymax
8. Babboon

9. deadhumancollector
10. Gary ST165

I think Gary is away until Thursday. deadhumancollector, are you still interested, please let me know asap otherwise I'll have to look for someone else. You have until Wednesday just because everyone else is already paid up and waiting.

As you've all been so prompt in making payment I am tempted to pay for all of them and send out to those who have cleared funds in my account - guess all 1-8 should be clear by Wed/Thurs.
deadhumancollector

Post by deadhumancollector »

hey guys,

i'm still in.

Leeroy, i've pm'd you about payment, so as soon as you get back to me i'm sorted. on that front.

Excited now :mrgreen:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Good stuff, pm'd :D

Cleared already:

2. injury_ian (already cleared)
4. Cantfindausername - first set (already cleared)
5. Cantfindausername - second set (already cleared)
6. Slarty (already cleared)
7. monkeymax (already cleared)
8. Babboon (already cleared)
9. deadhumancollector (already cleared)

10. Gary ST165
Last edited by Leon. on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babboon

Post by Babboon »

Getting excited myself \:D/

HID kits from the group buy sound like they are on the way already so looking forward to getting these to go with them :mrgreen:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

^^^^

As above, everyone's has now cleared, except Gary.

I'll hope to hear from him tomorrow. Assuming he tells me the money is being transferred tomorrow, then I will get them all sent out to you by Saturday :thumleft:

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”