1992 Eunos Roadster

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JD

Re: 1992 Eunos Roadster

Post by JD »

Dropped into freelance Mazda at Chatham this morning. Fortunately it's just the CAS seal rather than HG starting to go. Either fortunately or unfortunately they've given me a list of the stuff missing from the engine bay I already knew about and after saying many times that it's a project and I'm replacing those bits myself they've gone ahead and phoned me to say they've done it anyway which is nice, unless that ends up being a lot.of extra money for stuff I was sorting anyway :(

Hopefully I'll have it back by next week. There's family xxxx going down and I'd rather just get in the car and xxxx off for a few days :lol:

Mark seems like a nice guy and lots of people recommend them.

I just need to source some new front wings. May well go fibreglass now.
JD

Post by JD »

Oh yeah, and cambelt/water pump done, too. Nearly time for proper driving :roll:
JD

Post by JD »

New exhaust delivered tomorrow (in theory) I even had the customs fees paid before they sent a slip round! I'll hopefully fit it on Saturday. It's gonna sound beastly. I'll decided whether or not I'll want an extra silencer for it when I've driven about a bit.

I've got a feeling I left my tein c spanners in the 2's toolkit with Peter so I might ask him to post them down. Adjustments are to be made.

If I have time and it doesn't xxxxxx rain I'll get the roof out and put the hard top on as well, since I'm not bothered about the whole convertible roof off, wind in your hair stuff. T-tops off in the 2 once or twice a year is enough for me.

Then finally I might actually get round to picking up some wings for it to replace the eye sores left by the previous owner, but all in good time.

In other good news, by way of bad, thanks to a baseball cap in a red golf deciding to pull straight out across me out of a blind driveway, I did a hard emergency stop which seemed to free up the sticky caliper so I might get a few more miles out of that before I strip it down.

A sprint day is on the horizon! (hopefully)
JD

Post by JD »

I made so much progress yesterday that was marred by somehow cross threading the upper seatbelt reel mounting bolt. It's off to Machine Mart for a tap and die this morning #-o
JD

Post by JD »

Done the following recently:

- Removed soft top and stored it away. The frame and soft top are actually heavier than the hard top.

- Cleaned up inside and removed the fuel tank access panels for restoration

- Fitted rear strut brace across the towers. It was a cheapo £10 one from ebay but it's actually very good quality and a good fit. I did have to get the heat gun on it and straighten it out slightly so it fit under the parcel shelf but that's 30 seconds work and I'm very pleased with it. I managed to lose a nut down the side of the n/s rear top mount but fortunately I have spares :)

- Got rid of naff mx5 parts exhaust and fitted new, light, fully stainless, beautifully welded custom catback I got from Yahoo Japan - It doesn't have a JASMA number or any markings and doesn't match anything I can see in Hyper Rev, but it's awesome, beautifully made, and sounds great. I also lucked out in finding a bung from M2 on ebay that fits for track days - it's a discontinued part and the only ready-made one that fits. I just need to get the nut welded on inside to fit it as it has to go in backwards to line up with the hole for the bolt, if ya see what I'm saying, but it's nice and snug. Sound test today (without actually recording dB, should be quiet enough for Snetterton evening. I love my local motor factor - trying to find gaskets that would fit they just let me round back to rifle through the boxes with a vernier gauge until I find what I want.

- The afforementioned panels I took off where a bit scabby with surface rust so I've been grinding them back, priming and painting this weekend ready to put back next week. I want them to look fairly decent as I'm not putting the carpets and sound deadening back in - I like the bare-bones interior look.

- I took out the badly fitted roll bar and harness bar and sold them - they hadn't been fitted with spreader plates or correct bolts so would have just gone right through the floor if I'd rolled it anyway. Future plans are to start afresh with a 4 or 5 point bolt-in fitted properly.

- Got a Japspeed "copy" cabin brace for £10 only to find it didn't fit properly. I sent it back and bought one direct from Japspeed for over three times the price and immediately was sent an invoice from the same supplier. When it arrived it was the same poor quality with the same shitty welds and the same problem with fitting so I wrote a disgruntled email to Japspeed and now I think I'll just wait until I've got a proper roll bar with a harness bar in there. If I can pick up a standard cabin brace in the mean time that would be nice.

- I had the common rattle from the heat shield on the down pipe that Mazda put there to stop the cabin getting too warm so today I took an angle grinder to it to cut it off. When I did I found there was a layer of fibrous material packed in between the pipe and the shielding that crumbled into dust when I prized the shield apart. Since the car is from 1992 and I have no idea what Japanese regs or industrial practices were I immediately thought "F***! ASBESTOS!" and downed tools, cleared up, and went inside, but on further investigation it turns out it's just very old, very brittle glass fibre matting. Believe it or not there wasn't any kind of ban on using asbestos in these kinds of applications until 1999 but by the early 90s fortunately it was very rare.

- I picked up a second hand exhaust manifold heat shield, ground back the rust and painted it VHT silver - probably much better than having nothing isolating the intake from a hot exhaust and it looks better, too.

- I've got a spare rocker cover and I've also ordered a spare intake plenum so I can get these cleaned and powder coated. It's a bit of an indulgence but it will smarten up the engine bay.

- I've got a feeling the rear shocks are set too soft so I'll be in touch with Tein to figure out how many clicks are what on the old HRs. I doubt they've got much life left in them seeing as they were almost definitely on it when it came over from Japan but they seem to be holding up okay. I saw someone had taken an almost new set of Street Flex off a recent import a few weeks ago and was flogging the set for £250. I should have jumped at that seeing as they are worth about £600 new.

- Plans are to aggressively colour sand the xxxx paint and I'm still trying to source some wings for it. There's a Bulgarian man that sells fibreglass wings out of a unit in Essex somewhere but he's on holiday. I'd rather have the steel ones, really, but we'll see. I sourced a boot lid, finally, that I'm going to strip, prep and paint PZ black to match the flaking hard top and the bonnet.

- Also, I need some better tyres. I'm currently running Nankang NS2 at the rear :lol: and some dutch bargain brand called "Tyfoon" up front :pale: which all came on the BBS when I picked them up. I'm gonna go for Rainsport 3s. £30 a corner isn't bad really. It grips very well in the dry so far. I won't say the tyres are xxxx because they've handled everything I've thrown at them (seven tenths max) on private roads 8) but with track time looming I'd much rather have something tested and proven.

So there, no pictures and too many words. That's not even everything, just the stuff that popped into my head while I was sat here :roll:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

you probably already know of them but AK Automotive often have decent used spares (coilovers etc) for sale that they strip off their fresh imports which is a fantastic business model - import cars with nice bits, return them to stock on arrival in the UK using parts from breakers, then sell the car and the parts separately, ironically probably selling some of the parts to the owners of the cars they came on originally :lol:

anyway, they're local to me and are good lads so are worth getting hold of if you're after anything
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JD

Post by JD »

Yeah I just got an inlet manifold from them. £16 posted. Time to give it a thorough clean, grind off all the mold lines, and get it powder coated I think.
JD

Post by JD »

Okay it seems the Tein HRs don't have damper adjustment. I'm gonna bring it down a bit though.

I went round to the local alloy refurbers and dropped off my spare rocker cover and inlet mani today and they should be ready by next week - going satin black. I also dropped into the local tyre and exhaust place and the welder sorted me a captive nut on the bung for the price of a pint so now I can fit it and I'm definitely not too noisy for track days. I'll get some pictures up later but the way it sits, it looks like it's not fitted properly, so I can imagine the marshalls having a good kick and tug of it, but it's nice and snug and bolts in easily.

If the weather is nice this weekend I'm gonna start colour sanding the body work and prepping the new boot lid for paint.

I'm also trying to get hold of some more chassis bracing for underneath - the ultra racing 4 point mid-chassis brace looks like a good option.

Oh and today the anti-rattle clips fell out of the n/s front so I get a nice thunk on braking. I'll just fit some brand new clips all round.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

JD wrote:

I'm also trying to get hold of some more chassis bracing for underneath - the ultra racing 4 point mid-chassis brace looks like a good option.

can you still get those P5 frame rails that go over the original floor braces? I bought a set for mine but never actually fitted them, then sold them again when I broke it - people say there decent though
JD

Post by JD »

They do look good but I don't think their available any more - Jass do something similar but a bit dearer:

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/chassis-fr ... 41028.html

I need a roll bar really considering how light and flippable these cars are. I might take the plunge and get a new TR Lane or GC fabs. Ideally I wanted the Cusco 4 pointer but by the time it's here from Japan it'll be stupid money. The one I just took out and sold wasn't fitted properly anyway, no spreader plates, and only four bolts, so it would be good to get one that would actually work with a full fitting kit.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I had a TR lane in mine, decent quality tbh but they're still quite narrow so not 100% sure how you'd get on in a roll.. but then I'm 6'2" so I couldn't afford to lose the spsce for sliding the seat back that you get with a cusco/safety 21

If you do get a TRLane then you will need a 90 deg dril adapter to fit it

From memory you'll need the beatrush hardtop latches for a proper cusco etc too.. I bought a set just for scene points :oops:
JD

Post by JD »

Much of the work is done already for TR Lane fitting, so I'll probably go with that, but the GC fabrications one has an integrated harness bar, rather than the separate one that the TR Lane has. I should have kept the one I had and fabbed up some spreader plates for it but never mind. They're so heavy. It's so much weight to carry for street driving. I'd rather have one than not for the track.
JD

Post by JD »

Ordered a GC Fabrications GC1 roll bar but it probably won't be here or fitted in time for Snetterton but at least it's on the way. It's pretty much like the TR Lane that I had except it will be new and fitted properly, and has an integrated harness bar, so when I get some seats that will accommodate harnesses I can fit some 4 pointers.

I took the dash out, and took the carpets out at the weekend. In plugging everything back in I managed to connect up the rear fog switch wrong which blew a fuse - easy enough to replace only now I don't have any reversing lights. I removed fog lamp and wiring and blanked off the connecters where it was spliced into the main light circuit. It might need putting back for the MOT - I dunno.

Tyres are really gonna hold me back as I'm still on the Nankang NS-IIs that came on the wheels I bought. I know some people get into aggro about sharing a track with cars on xxxx tyres but I think as long as you are aware of the limits it's fine, and there are so many variables involved in track driving anyway. There's a chance I'll be able to get some Rainsport IIIs on by then but I doubt it.
JD

Post by JD »

picatures

hard top flakin'

soft top out

fuel tanks access panels clean up

cleaned, smoothed, painted, and back in

dash out, carpets out

cool jdm coins yo very japan (there were also some icelandic coins down there I xxxx you not :o )

downpipe heatshield removed - no more rattle

nut welded to bung by the nice man at the trye and exhaust place down the road - I needed this doing as the bung goes in backwards so I can't reach the nut when it's in. it's for an EP3 exhaust by M2 but it's a perfect fit for this and ideal for track days.

some of the interior back in - that's not rust on the floor pan; it's remnants of the sound-deadening/lagging from under the carpets

intake and rocker cover picked up today from the powder coater

cool key fob that Rob gave me

day out at crystal palace park for the sprint (just watching)

end of the day shot with the massive great big radio mast

nice shot from before I changed the exhaust

the new exhaust which is a huge improvement on the mx5parts one

I've currently got a mystery clunk on full lock left. I've been investigating today.

- pads okay
- wheels on tight
- track rod ends/ball joint seem ok
- tie rods okay
- no play in suspension
- bushes look alright
- no loose bolts

I think I'll leave this one to the professionals. I managed to smack something on a crappy dirt road going to the powder coaters today but it started before that and I can't figure it out.
JD

Post by JD »

Oh and I ordered some Rainsport 3s today as I have a feeling I'll be needing some new tyres after Snetterton :)
JD

Post by JD »

Dead battery and a loose baffle in the exhaust today aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Really coming together now mate.. looks smart
JD

Post by JD »

Cheers man - it's a lot of fun to drive :)

So, yesterday went down the local tyre and exhaust place and it turns out it was something rattling around in the box. The cone and the baffle were perfectly fine, so after putting a big ugly blob of weld round where the cone meets the baffle, just in case that would stop things moving, I ended up having to get a new muffler welded on so bye bye perfectly TIG-welded masterpiece, and and hello new powerflow box. The guys was very good though and he welded the tip from my old one onto it so it would still look nice and I can still fit the bung I bought (definitely gonna need that at Snetterton :twisted: )

I also went down the motor factors and got a big battery and yesterday did a small mod to fit it having to drill a hole for the strap a bit further up and secure it with cable ties until I can get a longer rod to secure it. If it works, it works :D

The standard/recommended on is about 2.5 inches shorter than this:

:lol:

I'm hopefully gonna fit some extra chassis bracing today:

Rear torsion bar (will need some cutting into box sections so I'll leave this for now) and rear lower brace which just bolts onto subframe. The old exhaust bolts and flanged nuts were the perfect size for this but I didn't get them back from the STS exhaust man when he replaced them with shiny new after he welded the new box on :(

I might be cheeky and drop by and see if they still have them/something similar because buying bolts/nuts at the local halfrauds is a bit of a headache.

I've got steady and sensible drive up to Suffolk later at which point parts of the A12 will probably be under several feet of water so wish me luck. Then pretty much nowhere to work on the car for a few days while I'm there and minimal tools so I pray to whatever god is handy that nothing goes wrong :'(
JD

Post by JD »

I typed a big ol' update on my phone yesterday but then the battery ran out so I'll try and summarise what I remember.

I was totally wrong about the exhaust; with the new powerflow box its only 96db static which is pretty good. The exhaust sounds really nice like the old Lotus twin cam engines (to me anyway :roll: ) It's got that classic four-pot buzz, not like those tinny Hondas :lol:

Track evening went well - missed the briefing but was given a quick brief by one of the MSV guys anyway so I could run off to do the sighting laps. The first blast out I just drove the boobs off it even if my lines were a bit untidy, the marshals don't seem to mind me hanging it out a bit. It's so balanced and predictable on the Teins. I love it. I had a bit of a moment after my steering column bracket bolts worked loose but styled it out and pulled in to find someone with a Puma had called a nice AA man out who leant me a socket and ratchet to retorque the bracket back in place. After that I had some tuition booked that I forgot about and with an instructor in the car took it very easy and just concentrated on lines. After that I'd cooked the brakes and I wanted some left for the way so better pads and some 5.1 fluid have been added to the list of near future jobs. I've got the bigger brakes from the 1.8 already fitted so they can soak a bit more heat than the smaller 1.6 discs.

It was nice to meet Gazza and have a chat and take a look at his Rev 5 - it's a very tidy car. Also nice to briefly meet Henry from the MR2OC; his Rev 3 turbo looks awesome with the Bomex wing on it.

Overall I'm really glad I went even if I didn't do as much time out on track as I'd have liked to. It's a very fast track and the car would suit a slower, twistier one. especially with the gearing. Next goal is to book on a sprint day.

Last night I managed to hit something furry on the A12 :'( which despite me feeling utterly xxxx about, may have also made an adjustment to the geo on the front O/S but it's alright. I was straddling a morning only bus lane back down the A21 into Bromley trying to keep further from the edge in case anything popped out there which caused the sh1tty old bill coming the other way to suddenly take a keen interest in my driving. They didn't stop me though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Hello officer - I'm just trying not to kill anyone else tonight, is that ok with you?" :roll:

I'm not looking forward to faffing about with more wiring trying to do the O/S reverse light to rear fog mod but it should in theory be fairly simple.
JD

Post by JD »

So much happening.

Front bumper and wings are off. I;ve done a little fix to one of the sidelight mounting brackets in the bumper while it's off. One of the brackets had snapped off so I've bonded a piece of plastic and drilled it with a captive nut made up to fit which now works a treat.

Front bumper is currently fitted to the end of the garden table as that's the perfect place to hang it while it's off.

The old wings are in very good shape in terms of corrosion but the new pair are a bit scabby. Importantly though the new pair are straight and not bu88ered like the set that came off. The old ones would be decent for a wide arch project.

I've ground off a few spots of surface rust on the frame while the wings are off and treated with hydrate80 but overall shell looks better than most.

I've now drilled out the three studs/bolts that snapped when I removed the wings which isn't bad going as most people seem to break most of them. Just need to retap the holes and replace the broken stud with a bolt but I've got loads of spares.

The car is now fully prepped to receive the GF Fabrications roll bar which is really nice - also Grant is a very nice guy. Actually having said that I'll probably weld up the old bolt holes from the bar that came out before I put the new one in.

I'll be sanding down for paint soon and then going for a basic solid color but I'll do a bit more tidying up first. I've been a bit down recently so it's nice to have a project I can see progress on and something that's for the most part been fairly straightforward to work on.

I removed the charcoal canister which is a 5 min job and declutters the bay quite well. I'm sure there are a few more bits I could tuck out the way in there for a today look which should really help the look once I get the powder coated rocker cover and inlet on.

It looks like even when I get the 2 back it will be nice to keep this. Last time I spoke to Peter he reckons out the shop by the end of July but you know how it goes. Every time I've spoken to him over the last 8 months it's not gonna be that much longer but never mind it's more time to have fun with the Mazda :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”