[Mk2] [Turbo] My rev2 rebuild log.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2mad

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] My rev2 rebuild log.

Post by 2mad »

Grazzy wrote:I cant get an MOT on it till Monday. the 4-5 places I've used before and are close are all booked up till then.

Bit of a kick in the teeth, but who cares it sorted 8)

Init always the way .. Looking forward to you finally boosting monday .. and coilovers are sweet .. they do rust up quite quick compered to say yellows but being stanced is way cool 8)

Kev.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

Well the car has an MOT YAY!!! It failed yesterday because the retro fitted fog light decided to die during the test. only advisory I got was Exhaust is LOUD :twisted:

Just got a couple more teething issues.

one of my gear linkage cables have gone a bit slack. going into 2 & 4th seems a bit sloppy. replacements turning up tomorrow morning

Rev gauge seems to have gone strange, its working just under reading by about 800rpm

Fuel gauge has the same syndrome. Its under reading by about most of the tank

Power steering seems not to be working. The p/s light is not coming on dash either.

Doom and gloom a side. I did take it for a spin around the industrial estate last night, Drives well. throttle response is very good. New clutch feels alot better than before. Turbo spools quick. Very happy with it just need the above sorting and were good to go.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Well done Grazzy .. power steering hopefuly will just need cleaning up relay contact points .. worked for me :thumleft:
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

Its now has an MOT :) success & progress

Power steering issue sorted out after a full battery charge, so that problems sorted out, The gear linkage cables sorted out the sloppy 2nd and 4th.

Heater hose decided to split on the way back which was nice....

I still cant work out whats causing the problem with the rev & fuel gauge. fuels just reading empty, and rev gauge is at 200rpm when its sounds like its idling at 800rpm.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Mr2 problems .. you'll get there mate :thumleft:
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

I'm sure I will get there soon. its pretty much ready.just a shame about these gauges. I don't know why they have started been silly. Was working fine before i swapped the looms around. Unless its at the other end of the loom that's causing the problem. The ecu end has not been changed.

With it working before and not now just makes a little frustrating #-o

not really find much on google about the problem. im sure its something simple tho.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

have you missed some earthing points somewhere while messing with the looms?
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

The issue with the fuel gauge is the sender. bridge pin 1 to pin3 on the fuel sender connection. Gauge raised to full. Had the sender pulled out and just tested it with a multi meter getting no change in reading when moving the float. however the fuel light does come on, so that will do until the new sender turns up :)

There just pulling the clocks out now, hoping its a loose wire.

either way, its coming home with me tonight until parts turn up. weather forecast is looking good for boosting the engine in.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

1. you've got a running car .. the rest is gravy .. you'll get there mate
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

well just got back in after its maiden run, all appears to be good. When i got home no leaks, no oil drips on the drive.

The fuel sender has seemed to have fixed its self which is a bonus, also the rev gauge seems to have sorted it self out. even tho the low fuel light is lite with 3/4 of a tank.

its been a while since I've had a good drive in my MR2 (well April) I didn't realize how much I had missed driving it. well worth the wait.

Now the engine is running like a beast, aftermarket ECU and remap once its finished running in. + fuel pump

then Suspension + re-spray hopefully soon :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Grazzy wrote:

its been a while since I've had a good drive in my MR2 (well April) I didn't realize how much I had missed driving it. well worth the wait.

Amen brother :thumleft:
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

Got 100 miles on the block, everything seems to be running good, Only problems I've got is:-

boost controller is not limiting my boost, Checked the hoses like 4-5 times appears to be set-up correct, Maybe thinking there's a split in a Vac line I cant see.

Just noticed my oxygen sensors has shed a bolt.

all in all a success full weekend.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I think i have a split hose .. boost rises to 0.8bar then drops abit as rpms rise .. probably the throttle sock .. goes in for a checkup in a couple of days .. bloody annoying boost not working properly :(

Best of luck dude :thumleft:
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

170 miles into the Since rebuild, Appears to be going well :) Had the running in oil dropped out yesterday & oil filter swapped.

so i decided to a cheeky parts order in today. (wallets on fire)

Racer X inlet manifold center fed
Racer X Fuel rail (AN6)
Mustang TB (ID-70MM)
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
New Vac line (3 meters) Some replacement metal T & Y connectors
Carbon Tech XP8 rears (already got a set of fronts)
FPR

Still trying to make my mind up on ECU system and where to get it mapped. I'm still pretty undecided on the suspension. I'm getting there slowy.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Second time ive posted this today check it out .....

Greddymr2 Lukas is selling a very nice ecu .. plug'n play.

Link .. http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=185158 .. great ecu .. all the bells and whistles :thumleft:
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

Yeah it does look a wicked bit of kit, plenty of bells and whistles. I did notice they don't do a plug and play for a rev 3 loom. However its the price range I was looking to spend. Anywhere in the Midlands that likes to map these units?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Grazzy wrote:Yeah it does look a wicked bit of kit, plenty of bells and whistles. I did notice they don't do a plug and play for a rev 3 loom. However its the price range I was looking to spend. Anywhere in the Midlands that likes to map these units?

Sorry mate i just read your sig saying rev2 and i sold you a rev 3 ecu #-o proper face palm moment .. think rev3 is a no go .. shame i really wonted one for my st205 .. great bit of kit :thumleft:
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

shame its gen2 or ill be all over this, time to research further.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Grazzy wrote:shame its gen2 or ill be all over this, time to research further.

Speek to lukas there might be a hardwire patch for rev3's now .. a as long as a uk tuner can map it of course :)
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Glad to hear it's run in well, any pics of the beast coming soon?

Return to “Member Profiles”