gaaah, first car trouble with the mr2 :( suggestions welcome!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: gaaah, first car trouble with the mr2 :( suggestions welcome!

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:Just had a thought .. can injectors get stuck open .. would a stuck open injector cause these running issues.

I did speak with Luke about that, It's very unlikely that this is the case, I did manage to get it started and drove it home, if it was firing fuel in the cylinder on every stroke it would only run on 3 cylinders I'd imagine. it was driving totally fine off boost once up to temp :( I have the big booster box now so I'm gonna attack this tomorrow, check all vac pipes etc.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

right, getting in about this tomorrow, Luke has told me to check if fuel is going into the cylinders with the ignition on but the car not running (before cranking). any idea in the easiest most accurate way to do this?? Unless I've mixed up what he's said.

He also suggested the MAT/IAT sensor, has anyone ever had a faulty one of these before? Or can anyone tell me the symptoms of a faulty one? Although I'm assuming the ones i'm experiencing at the moment cover it.

I will check over the vac line to the FPR,

Anymore input before I start this tomorrow?? is there a way to test the IAT sensor? Had a wee look and it looks like a right pain to get to with limited tools :(

No doubt I'll be on here all day tomorrow or in my bed crying and pulling my hair ](*,)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Will an IAT sensor make that much of a difference? I always thought they were more for 'fine tuning' on cars with a MAP sensor. In fact, the IAT sensor wasn't even connected on my Rev4 NA for who knows how long, it ran fine without it. Perhaps it's different for a Turbo though!

To be honest mate it sounds like you've got all bases covered with your current list :shock:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Will an IAT sensor make that much of a difference? I always thought they were more for 'fine tuning' on cars with a MAP sensor. In fact, the IAT sensor wasn't even connected on my Rev4 NA for who knows how long, it ran fine without it. Perhaps it's different for a Turbo though!

To be honest mate it sounds like you've got all bases covered with your current list :shock:

i'm not at sure to be honest man, it was just something Luke suggested :( I guess i'll just have to see what happens tomorrow when i get the booster on it and give it a proper crank. Totally praying it;s the map sensor but after giving it a wee crank yesterday I'm not convinced at all, I;ve started the car on less battery power before :( half a turn of the engine and it's away, I will re-gap all the plugs tomorrow just to completely rule it out.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Bridging fp and b+ in the diagnostic port will make the fuel pump run and if an injectors stuck open will promptly fill the cylinders. Disconnecting the return fuel line and putting it in a jar or jerry can and bridging fp and b+ with the ignition on will also confirm fuel is flowing through the fuel rail.

Your making your life difficult trying to do any diagnostics with a flat battery as it can cause all sorts of odd readings, id want it fully charged not jumping off a power pack. Have you got a multimeter? Do you have access to a timing light?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I know, it's not ideal is it :( i do have a multimeter yeah. And i can get a timing light but not till later on tomorrow :(
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

As the problem seems quirky and doesn't follow the usual logic you really need to confirm all the base settings, prove you got fuel flow through the rail and that it doesn't stop during cranking. Confirm you have a decent spark at all 4 plugs. Check the static timing, check the dynamic timing if all those things are correct then look to other areas for issues but the basics need to be there first and ignore the but it worked before principal and do all the checks again
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

sheppy wrote:I know, it's not ideal is it :( i do have a multimeter yeah. And i can get a timing light but not till later on tomorrow :(

You have to get that battery charged properly first. As said flat batteries cause all sorts of weird behavior on cars. Not saying its that but you dont want to skew any tests and end up coming back to it weeks down the line.
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

yeah deffo, I have a charger here too and the battery is good despite being dead, as for not getting fuel that couldn't be further from the issue I have, Timing was fine before it;s stopped running but who knows what could have happened between then and now :( I'm gonna start with doing what Luke suggested, he says I can ring him for more advice. 1st port of call is to give it a good crank with the new map sensor. Then I guess i should charge the battery for a bit before doing anything else :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

riiiiight, not had a chance to do anything today, gonna chuck the battery on charge overnight, I'm gonna simply try and start it tomorrow, I've kinda decided on whipping the engine out anyway and just starting my project, i think winter is the right time, Last winter is my first in an Mr2 (in 10 years of ownership) and it wasn't particularly nice. So, engine out, rebuild the head and and the bottom end with low compression forgies. new turbo on, new fuel system and new engine management. Hoping to get this done and dusted for March at the very latest :) I'll report back on whether it starts or not tomorrow, Not fussed either way to be honest!!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Might it be an idea to crank it with the fuel pump disabled? as it's been struggling to start you might have inadvertently flooded it with fuel?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah, i'll probably gap the first plugs quickly too. Kinda set on the idea of cracking on with the new engine now anyway!!
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

I'd want to find the problem before potentially throwing loads of fuel down the bores of a rebuilt engine when you come to try and start it again with the new engine.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

That should'nt be too much of an issue as the fuel system and engine management will be brand new. New fuel rail, new FPR, new pump, injectors etc. it is frustrating not knowing what this issue is though :(
Torero

Post by Torero »

Fair comment, it's pointless throwing good money after bad and I dare say you feel a lot more relaxed now you've made your decision.

Just the same Sheppy good luck with the build. You've overcome a lot of stress to get this far buddy so just put it down to experience.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah man, i'll get this all done sooner rather than later too, i hate seeing builds dragged out for months and months (no offence Ash, your build is in a different league from mine), i'll just be throwing cash/time at this as it becomes available, December is usually one of my quietest months of the year at work but this one has been not too bad!! My problem is that the Link G3/4 is so hard to find at a decent price that i keep putting off buying other things incase one comes up. Gonna get the engine out as soon as possible and flog of the parts i don't need.
ashley

Post by ashley »

:oops:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ashley wrote::oops:

Haha, sorry man :)
ashley

Post by ashley »

That's alright- my car is a hobby/ lifestyle...it's gonna be a project for as long as I have it :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ashley wrote:That's alright- my car is a hobby/ lifestyle...it's gonna be a project for as long as I have it :lol:

I just couldn't do it to myself, the waiting i mean! Mine needs to be done and dusted as soon as possible!!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”