Red Rev 3 tintop turbo. 4 years on and still tinkering. Been on the rollers.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nails

Re: Red Rev 3 tintop turbo. 4 years on and still tinkering. Been on the rollers.

Post by Nails »

Few more jobs done this morning. Door cards, dash plastics and speakers fitted. More blue LEDs thrown in the bin from the ignition ring and fag lighter.
The greddy profec looks like its going to live there. Good as place as ever.

Nails

Re: Red Rev 3 tintop turbo. 4 years on and still tinkering. Been on the rollers.

Post by Nails »

All polished up and no where to go. Until I tax it on monday that is.

Standard A-pillar trim courtesy of outrun.

X brace has been painted and refitted along with new heatshield.

New decals fitted.

2mad

Post by 2mad »

Very pretty car ... keep going :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

Tax today and been out for a spin with my son. Everything working as it should. Drives much better with the new coil.

Jobs to be done now, still need a decent amp, a 4 wheel alignment as Ive never got round to sorting one, although the tyres have always worn evenly so they cant be out by much if they are.
Also tempted to get the profec EBC set up on a dyno. Im sure some one with more experience will be able to set it up much quicker and better than I can, and I wouldn't mind it on a dyno just so I can be sure the car is running fine also, ie check for knock etc. Not bothered so much about a power run but would be nice if they do that also, will need to shop about round here and see what it available.

Back home with my son, needs more than that crotch rocket to make it at race wars :lol:

C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

looks awesome mate,

I can really recommend AK automotive for alignment, greddy boost controllers are dead easy to set up too, but like you said, might be worth booking it in with Jamie @ evotune for a set up/health check
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Nails

Post by Nails »

Thats who I was think of that evotune. Its never skipped a beat or used a drop of oil in the last 4 years but would be nice/sensible to make sure.

Where/who is AK automotive? I had this convo with liam at the weekend as he needs his alignment checked also and the best I could come up with was revolution.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Nails wrote:Thats who I was think of that evotune. Its never skipped a beat or used a drop of oil in the last 4 years but would be nice/sensible to make sure.

Where/who is AK automotive? I had this convo with liam at the weekend as he needs his alignment checked also and the best I could come up with was revolution.

AK automotive are in rowlands gill, they predominantly do mx5 stuff (and run a few cars in the various mx5 race series') but are happy to align anything - they did my laurel for example
I wouldn't bother with revolution, they're really expensive and their guys are pretty much tyre and exhaust fitters, so won't really be able to give advice on geo settings for performance cars.

http://www.akautomotive-mx5.co.uk/

with yours being a rev3 you won't have adjustable castor unless you have cusco/tein etc tension rods - maybe worth considering getting some before spending £100 on alignment.

also, evotune are booked up about 5-6 weeks in advance at the min for time on the dyno :shock:
Nails

Post by Nails »

Cheers again mate. Guess I'll have to get on the phone to evotune. I don't work tuesdays so I'm hoping that will help squeeze me in places.

I'm not overly fond of revolution either. Not the best customer service I had from them but it was a long time ago. Think it was about 1999 so I was hoping it would have seen a few changes. Not needed now then I guess.

£100 seems a little steep though. Is that a fixed price? I wonder if its worth getting some caster adjustability. All I have is the tein top mounts along with the tein coilovers.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

£100 was for a full ride height set up and geo to my specs, it was on the ramp nearly 3 hours as there's much more adjustability on the laurel than an MR2 (granted I hung around and chatted to Dan while he did it, and told him to get his sandwich before it went cold half way through) and he got each setting 100% spot on, not just "in tolerance"

for comparison, revolution quoted me £200 for the same work :lol:

You won't get in at AK on a weekend during the summer, as they'll be off racing somewhere.

I've got the laurel in @ evotune next tuesday (feel free to pop along for the crack if you like) which will be 6 weeks pretty much to the day since I booked it.. again they're busy cause it's the start of race season and everyone wants their car mapped

as for caster adjustability, I'm a big fan of it, caster has a big impact on dynamic camber - i.e how much the camber angle changes while steering. I run lots of castor on the laurel (8 degrees) which makes the steering nice and weighty, it self centres really fast and is nice and stable at speed..
Nails

Post by Nails »

nice to see you again today rob. Thanks again re those 'defi' gauges they are well worth the cash.

Been to evotune today and jamie had time to look at it there and then. Got it on the rollers and started setting up the ebc but looks like I've got a weak actuator. Also a slight boost leak on the bov fitting which is just a poor design from radtec and jamie recommended a fpr to reduce the pressure and lean it out a bit as running quite rich.

guess I spoke to soon wih the running out of stuff to do lol.
Nails

Post by Nails »

Went over outruns yesterday and did a few jobs. Not many pics by me but if outrun ever updates his thread he may break the internet. Spent a good few hours with 2 broken aerials and as usual the easy way was the right way but was done last. At least we know them inside out now. Literally.

Rechecked my timing and changed the clutch fluid on mine. No pics as doing it but as you can see its a job worth doing. Made much easier by the fact outrun has a compressor and a line vac so can just suck it straight out.

JD

Post by JD »

Awesome.
outrun

Post by outrun »

I'm gonna... :lol:

Can't knock that 18 quid pressure bleeder, like!
Nails

Post by Nails »

Had a look at the turbo and actuator and all was fine. Wondered why I couldn't get full boost.
When I bought the car it already had a mbc fitted and I never messed with it as was happy with what it running and only had a ebay smic.
later i fitted the radtec and then fitted the ebc it was just plumb in the wires and the solenoid and went to evotune where he could get it to hold over 08/0.9 but it would initially boost upto 1.1/1.2 no problem. It had his head scratching abit and he could only think of a weak actuator.
Left it a while and was thinking what could it be and went back and checked the tstv. It hadn't been disconnected. Noob alert. Chopped the pipe and blocked it up and been out for a quick spin and its holding over a bar no problem.
I've ordered a new denso o2 sensor and when it comes I'll stick it in and go back to evotune to get the ebc set up properly again and see how the fueling is then.
Nails

Post by Nails »

While I was looking at the above boost problem I knocked up a leak tester with a couple of caps and a tyre pump. Only had 2 small boost leaks which was fixed by simply readjusting the position of the jubilee clips but I did notice the biltz bov wasn't quite right.

Removed it from the car and found the piston to be stuck fast inside. I stripped it down yesterday which was suprisingly easy and left it soaking in oil in the vice incase the piston came out of it as had removed the circlip.
went out this morning and piston was moving freely and got it out and cleaned it up inside. Re-oiled it and put it back together and all is fine with the world again.

C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Nails wrote:While I was looking at the above boost problem I knocked up a leak tester with a couple of caps and a tyre pump. Only had 2 small boost leaks which was fixed by simply readjusting the position of the jubilee clips but I did notice the biltz bov wasn't quite right.

Removed it from the car and found the piston to be stuck fast inside. I stripped it down yesterday which was suprisingly easy and left it soaking in oil in the vice incase the piston came out of it as had removed the circlip.
went out this morning and piston was moving freely and got it out and cleaned it up inside. Re-oiled it and put it back together and all is fine with the world again.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v15/n ... toaczm.jpg

Nice one, I expect it feels much stronger now youre making full boost, interested to see what it does on the rollers too :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

Tbh it felt pretty good. I'd messed with the ebc to make sure it didn't overboost it wasn't coming up to full boost as quick as jamie had it but once over 5k and a bar it felt like a different car.
will have to ring evotune and hopefully can get me squeezed in pretty quick.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Nails wrote:

Great pic ..Beautiful 8)

Looking forward to more updates :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Nails wrote:Tbh it felt pretty good. I'd messed with the ebc to make sure it didn't overboost it wasn't coming up to full boost as quick as jamie had it but once over 5k and a bar it felt like a different car.

Altering the start setting will sort that out, I have mine at 12.5 psi which builds boost hard without big spikes. :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:
Nails wrote:Tbh it felt pretty good. I'd messed with the ebc to make sure it didn't overboost it wasn't coming up to full boost as quick as jamie had it but once over 5k and a bar it felt like a different car.

Altering the start setting will sort that out, I have mine at 12.5 psi which builds boost hard without big spikes. :thumleft:

Goood advice, mine was set to 0.9bar with 1.1bar for fun times :mrgreen: ... 0.9 is a good place to be for a daily driver :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”