Donato's Track Rev3

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GeorgeL

Re: Donato's Track Rev3

Post by GeorgeL »

I am absolutely Green with Envy regarding the Road trip you did... unreal!

Lovel car though and in great condition too... its sitting really well now also :) good shout on dropping the back
Donato

Post by Donato »

Finally managed to plug my camera into the Mac to upload some photos. I didn't manage to get many (just a couple), but i absolutely love this one!

And another outside the house (Ignore the black sill :lol:)

Donato

Post by Donato »

I also found a couple of photos of different components from one sunny day i with the car;

Drive out over Buxton and surrounding areas. You'll notice a relocated front plate. Not 100% sure on that yet. Possibly needs to be smaller?

Top Fuel Power Deck Spacer;

Goodridge Braided Clutch Line;

PowerFlex Engine Mount - Melted :-k

Donato

Post by Donato »

Last week i ordered some Samco Vacuum Piping to replace the current old black crusty ones i had. Wanted to dress up the engine bay as well.

Before;

Hoses;

After;

Then i decided to give the strut tops a good spit polish with some quick detailer - not like me :lol:

For the eagle eyed ones, you'll notice that my X brace has gone. It was old and rusty to the point where it had corroded through so i removed it in favour for a rear strut brace. As i went to put the rear strut brace on, it fouled with the ACIS cover. So i left it off. I kind of think it looks better without a rear strut brace?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Looking great :thumleft:

I hope you don't mind but I liked your first photo and seeing as I had a few mins spare I thought I'd tweak it for you. Hope you like it :)

Donato

Post by Donato »

The Touge project has taken a bit of a slow down. Now that winter is approaching, i don't want to be using the car through the snow / rain / grit and general bad weather. So it will be coming off the road. Whilst it is off the road, i have a few plans. Because it is at an age now where a lot of components need replacing, that will be my main focus.

Rough list to do;
  • New Front Radiator
    New Front Fan Housing
    New Radiator Hoses
    New Coolant Hoses
    New Down-pipe
    New Exhaust
    New De-Cat
    New Bucket Seat
    New Steering Wheel
    New Alloy Wheels
    New Roll Centre Adjusters
    Refurbished Gearbox
    Powdercoated engine components
    Fully Polybush - Sand Blasted and Powdercoated Black Suspension Arms

Hopefully i'll be able to have the time / funds / weather to be able to pull it all off!
Last edited by Donato on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donato

Post by Donato »

Magic Beans wrote:Looking great :thumleft:

I hope you don't mind but I liked your first photo and seeing as I had a few mins spare I thought I'd tweak it for you. Hope you like it :)

That looks awesome. I'll have to crop it some more and try and squeeze it as a signature. :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

*Phew* I wasn't sure how you'd react, as I didn't want to be seen as sticking my beak in 8-[

Glad you like it :thumleft:

The original is up on my Photobucket page (well, one of them :lol: ) if you want to use the download link on the right to get it :)
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

nice car dude.. which coil-overs do you recommend?
Donato

Post by Donato »

ceejay wrote:nice car dude.. which coil-overs do you recommend?

Hi ceejay, sorry i've only just seen this! I'd highly recommend the Meister-R's. I'm absolutely over the moon with them. Perfect for my specific needs and i feel are a bit more weather proof than the HSD's i had previous.
Donato

Post by Donato »

It's been about a month since i've last updated on here and a fair bit has changed. Before the time came to take the MR2 off the road i had to take it to it's last outing - a Rolling Road day out @ Tuning Developments in Warrington.
I wasn't really sure what to be expecting from the engine as i'd changed a few components since the last time it was on the rollers. It was also a different rolling road so figures wouldn't be the same. Since the last rolling road, i've changed the exhaust to the standard item and also added the power deck spacer.
Anyway, the car ran all 3 runs and i was in all honestly quite disappointed with the results. It ran 153bhp - a fair drop since last run. We managed to point it down to a couple of things; exhaust had collapsed, flex-pipe is leaking and also being ran on 97 Ron instead of the 99 Ron it's supposed to be run on. Since installing the power deck spacer the car has felt like it has bit more torque, but the dyno seems to have lost torque - not too sure what has happened there. What i did notice though is that the power deck spacer has increased the rev range, so now it does rev harder and longer up to 7000RPM as apposed to the 6500RPM without it.

So the car has come off the road for winter now, replacement being a Honda Accord Sport \:D/

I've got a list of things to do as long as my arm and i need to get cracking on it! First thing i did whilst it was off the road though was to remove that air conditioning. Who needs it anyway in a T-Bar :-k I've only managed to remove the front radiator and front pipes including the ones in the trunk so far. The rest seem to be well hidden under all the under trays.

In order to get to the rad i had to destroy my front fogs (they won't be going back on) and the side toblerone indicators :( I suppose the fog lights can be an excuse to weight save a little. Every little helps!!
Last edited by Donato on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donato

Post by Donato »

A picture of the R/R. I've got a fair bit of fixing and replacing to do :lol:

Last edited by Donato on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donato

Post by Donato »

Just a couple of pictures i've not uploaded yet.

One from a day of fitting brakes to a friends MK2.

One of how she stands currently;

And one of the interior. I'll be getting to the sound deadening at some point.

And a boot full of not needed items ready for the skip :lol:

Bits removed now;
- Front Fog Lights
- Air Conditioning Radiator
- Air Conditioning De-Humidifier
- Front Bumper Polystyrene
- Interior Carpets
- Engine Sound Deadening Carpet
- Spare Wheel
- Frunk Plastic Trim
- Frunk Bracing
- Rear X-Brace
- Aftermarket Remote & Central Locking
- Lockwood Sill Covers
- T-Bar Shades
- Rear Speakers
- Centre Rear Console
- Exhaust Grille
- Air Conditioning Pipes
- Engine Mount Vibration Dampers

Still have a bit more that can be removed;

- Import Immobiliser
- Aftermarket Remote Locking Unit
- Boot Lining
- Sound Deadening (Basic)
- Air Conditioning Compressor

Parts being replaced for lighter components;

- Drivers seat for a bucket seat
- OEM exhaust for a lighter aftermarket system

So as you can tell it's going on a bit of a diet
:lol:
Last edited by Donato on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Nice work :thumleft:
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Nice read Donato, car looks great and lots of good modifications and repairs you have done.
Really impressed with the road trip - this is something i have always wanted to in my '2' but too worried about things going wrong.
Did you get a good price on the international cover and how was the MPG on the journey?

Will be keeping an eye on this thread :D
synXero

Post by synXero »

I take it you won't be doing many more multi-thousand mile road trips in it then!!
Donato

Post by Donato »

DB Mr2 wrote:Nice read Donato, car looks great and lots of good modifications and repairs you have done.
Really impressed with the road trip - this is something i have always wanted to in my '2' but too worried about things going wrong.
Did you get a good price on the international cover and how was the MPG on the journey?

Will be keeping an eye on this thread :D

Thanks! It's definitely something you need to do. The drive and scenery are something else. I was in the same boat, but I'd advise good car cover! There's a few different companies you can go with. But due to mine being a Japanese import and over 17 years old, only one company wanted to take me on at the sum of £120 I think. I averaged 35ish MPG doing 70-100mph :whistle:

synXero wrote:I take it you won't be doing many more multi-thousand mile road trips in it then!!

I wouldn't say never, I could always buy earphones :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Cracked on with stripping it then! Is it going to a be a "stripped to the limit" track car then?

I stripped a Corsa B 1600 Sport including the sound deadening. Was so loud and echo-ey driving it around. :lol:

Loved that little car.
Donato

Post by Donato »

RedMR² wrote:Cracked on with stripping it then! Is it going to a be a "stripped to the limit" track car then?

I stripped a Corsa B 1600 Sport including the sound deadening. Was so loud and echo-ey driving it around. :lol:

Loved that little car.

It's not a specific track car, just more of a second car/sunday drives/mountain roads sort of car as well as a few track days.

I would like to strip it out completely, but i know i'd hate it. So i'll be leaving a few luxuries in the car. Like the radio, front speakers, centre arm rest thingy, door cards and the rear carpet. But anything else i'll be removing. This car needs as much of an advantage as it can get :lol:

I had a Zetec S MK5 that i stripped. Ended up being too noisy, to i put the interior back to normal. Then was too quiet, so stripped it again. I ended up putting that interior in and out a few times. This way though, i've thrown the old items away, so there's no going back [-(
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Donato wrote:Thanks! It's definitely something you need to do. The drive and scenery are something else. I was in the same boat, but I'd advise good car cover! There's a few different companies you can go with. But due to mine being a Japanese import and over 17 years old, only one company wanted to take me on at the sum of £120 I think. I averaged 35ish MPG doing 70-100mph :whistle:

Excellent thanks thats really helpful as mine too is an import. MPG is good for that average speed.

My family does a Euro holiday every 3/4 years and the men dirve down in cars whilst girls fly. Next year is Nice, France, so it is too good an opportunity not to take mine i think (Cote d Azur mountain roads) just need to get it reliable-ish.

Is there any roads you enjoyed on the way down or must see stops that you'd recomened?

Return to “Member Profiles”