[Mk2] [Turbo] some progress pics, GT3071R MR2

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

T.F.S.

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] some progress pics, GT3071R MR2

Post by T.F.S. »

just adding to this thread as i go....

decided to fit a swirl pot due to a lack of confidence in the fuel supply system, seems to struggle at low levels..

i added a 2lt swirl pot, large pump to feed rail, moar braided and aero fittings

placement was however quite restiricted....being the partners daily rive i was banned from using the boot area so i took another controversial step lol

swirl pot fitted in engine bay, custom alloy base

yes ill be monitoring fuel temps...
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

interesting location

i going for the 2.5 litre version and base on the picture distance in the boot may be very simlar to your current setup

it look like an6 return, you using a 1x 044 ? just wondering what kind of cradle you using, i look most cost from £30 to £50 just for the cradle

look very interesting, and you using speedflow, earls , goodridge or other fitting, i saw torqueuk, most forum have very good rep about them so may give them a try
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

yes AN6

pump is a DA-27

cradle is random ebay part
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorsport-Fuel-P ... 2562ac1f80

i tried different suppliers for the fittings but i liked the torques other the others
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

cool, may meet up some time, i also base in se london :mrgreen:

did you also replace the hardline from then fuel tank, i believe the pipe is equal an4 size by changing it the lifter pump dont have to work as hard
i looking changing all these line, so i can take full advantage of my new pump system,
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

some cooling mods...ill let the pics speak for themselves

cheap ebay fans, had a friend cut the plate for me, total cost was about £60
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

very shortly after fitting the engine fan kit to the MR2 it rained lol

engine developed a misfire due to the sparkplug holes filling up with water....

something had to be done

ill let the pics speak for themselves...

it seems to keep the rain away from the rocker cover quite well, no misfire developed after it rained again
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

grip....most of us need more of it

its currently on annorexic alloys, thinner than the stock rims

bought some of the scabbiest rims i have ever seen and had some refurb work done

fronts

rears

yea clearance is fine...loads of room:disappointed:

flush

i asked for black and silver...when i got there they had done black on gold, i dont know if i prefer it

i replaced the bolts with A4-80 grade fixings, not the best colour but strong and will not corrode quickly

i painted the calipers gold...i dont know if i like it, i may go black if it keeps catching my eye but i did hope they would dull off with a bit of heat and dust

Many thanks to Brian Neve for coating these for me.

hopefully mapping this again early next month, its been sitting in the garage far too long
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Looks sweet Brian matey :thumleft:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

rethe car was remapped by MB Automotive today for 20psi...

still on 95ron, still on stock engine, STILL on stock headgasket
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

So why is this possible? is it det that kills mr2 engines? your doing an awsome job man :thumleft:
T.F.S.

ringlands, headgaskets and other short storys...

Post by T.F.S. »

good question mate

i guess its pretty obvious that we have a lot of cylinder pressure here lol so maybe it is det, but what does that point to?
:silent:
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

whatever the combo...you seem to have it licked matey...what clutch are you running, you gotta be up to 300whp now?
Martinbattye

Post by Martinbattye »

djpkins wrote:So why is this possible? is it det that kills mr2 engines? your doing an awsome job man :thumleft:

careful and rigorous mapping!

and allowing the mapping to best harmonise the parts to make the power rather than trying to achieve numbers on a dyno..

for me a dyno is for cars that cannot be safely live tuned.
many many times i have tuned vehicles (all types) on the dyno at customers request. only to have to finish temp trims and light load running on the road.

live tuned cars are crisper, cleaner and usually better on fuel ( i guarantee most tuners rely heavily on O2 correction to get cruise fuelling correct.)
forgive me im im wrong.. but most people dont drive everywhere at maximum output.. yet its funny how most live by these figures.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

lol, its all in the tune martin ;)
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

djpkins wrote:whatever the combo...you seem to have it licked matey...what clutch are you running, you gotta be up to 300whp now?

oops missed that question..

the clutch is a stock toyota unit, changed about 8 years ago now lol

yea has to be 300bhp at the wheels i would have thought....must have got an extra 30bhp from going up from 1.2-1.4bar?

been running the car every day this week at those boost figures...20psi through 3d to 5th, head gasket wont blow, pistons wont melt, clutch wont slip, what happened to all of the horror storys?
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

lolol...your having a tin bath aintcha mate...bet it's all just cardboard mock ups really...c'mon battye...spill the beans, why does this car not blow up? I fkn love it when a plan comes together, real pukka, pukka job man.:thumleft: :thumleft:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

maybe the WI is a factor..i am injecting rather a lot of it, almost double the recommended amounts from what i can gather from reading stuff on the net

im pretty sure that its sapping power now i have gone too far with it but with a 75% meth mix i am unwilling to drop those levels without having the car on det cans...which for me means paying for mapping

maybe ill take martins advice and start doing it myself, i understand the theory but it ill be in the deep end with a motor that could expire very quickly should a detonation event occur

then again im very tempted to leave it, what will i gain?, 20bhp?, whats the point? =;
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

turbo shows signs of damage...unsure why, it has restrictor and good quality inline filter fitted, bearing sounds bad, damage to blades and housing..

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/ ... 1455-2.jpg

image too big to post on forums so i have linked it above
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I can't see much apart from the scoring, does it have any chips out of the blades? do you think it's a broken bit of turbo that has caused the damage or a foriegn object getting through the air filter.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

well im no expert on turbos but it sounds like it has a bad bearing...i assume this has allowed tthe blade to come into contact with the housing

just after shutoff the turbo makes a gritty noise, pretty much what you get from a bad roller bearing

but as i have mentioned im no expert

Return to “Modifications”