Project MRX350

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kaiowas

Re: Project MRX350

Post by kaiowas »

Speedo and Revcounter for mk1a and mk1b. The originals are in a vector format so I can easily generate them in a different size etc if required.

Last edited by kaiowas on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

1A dials are beautiful. Good work old chap.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Just realised that I might have to redo the numbering on the 1a speedo. I didn't have quite the right font so manually adjusted the characters on the rev counter but forgot to go back and correct it on the speedo.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

They are fantastic, only prob is i am still a relative newbie to Torque so i need to work out how to incorporate these into a working display.

Great stuff :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ok so i decided to change the wheel spoke colour, a few people said the black doesn't do the Borbs justice and makes them look a little lost, so i mix my own special shade of gunmetal which is a stunning colour, mainly for engine parts etc and has a nice hint of bronze running through it....

Part of the problem changing wheel colour is my centre caps, that had black TRD badges in the middle, that will not work well with the rest of the wheel in gunmetal in my opinion and it needs to all be the same colour.

So i hatched a plan to modify my caps, first step was to cut the raised centre "nut" part off the cap, at £35 a pop for these caps it's not something you want to mess up.

I had some "screaming chicken" cap badges made up a few years ago which fit Azev A caps, much bigger diameter than the TRD badge, so the plan was to inset these into the Borbet caps.

First step cut the old raised part off and flush fit the new badges....

Then fibral in the new caps making sure they are a flush fit at the front....

All four caps doctored...

All four caps with stopper paste applied to the gaps...

Some sanding and more stopper later and finished with high build primer....

These will all be painted gunmetal including the chicken, i don't want that to stand out unless someone looks closely.... the devil is in the detail and all that.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

So i needed extra gauge pods in the car, but i'm not a fan of pillar mounts, so i set about making an extended binnacle above the heater controls. to display my wideband and fuel pressure gauges.

I wanted to make this as OEM looking as possible, so i started with a regular Mk1 radio/heater control surround, shortened it to fit on top, built a recess into it and molded in two 52mm angled gauge holders.

I'm sacrificing the centre air vent for this mod, but it never gets used anyway.

I then made the top and sides of the new binnacle, this is obviously the raw structure of it, there is a lot of sanding and prep before it is ever going to look finished.

Hopefully by the time it is done it will look like a period 80's add on, that's the plan anyway.

I also got the Lifeline extinguisher bottle mounted, i made a stainless mounting plate for it.

There is over £12k of parts on this car, so spending £240 on a quality extinguisher system is a no brainer.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

80's style gauge pod now finished, just need to have this vinyl wrapped and gauges installed...

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ok so the 80's centre pod will house my digital wideband and fuel pressure gauges, so i just needed a spot for the boost gauge, again all of these are red LED digital gauges the same as the dash ones.

I really did not want a pillar mount so the only place i could find was on the upper steering cowl. So i grafted a 52mm pod into that and sprayed it satin black (still wet in this pic)

alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

Opportunity missed there Paul with the gauge pod you could have made a handy tray for the Ray-Bans if you had flattened and recessed the top slightly. Otherwise Superb. 8)

Alan
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Not a bad idea that Alan, it might make the final edit :)
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

getting seriously very board of being impressed by the constant amazing developments on this car.

seriously
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

boondougal wrote:getting seriously very board of being impressed by the constant amazing developments on this car.

seriously

I thought you & Paul were big pals Sam :-k
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
1998 Ssangyong Korando GLS
2011 Honda Civic Type R
jimi

Post by jimi »

I think he was being facetious :wink:
Samc

Post by Samc »

This is fantastic. so much win :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou Sam and Sam :D

Peter no idea what you're on about.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

I've revised the mk1a speedo numbering now and edited the original post to point to the updated image

I was also setting up a fairly decent flatbed scanner at work so took the opportunity to grab some 1200dpi scans of the original dials to use as a reference. Turns out that Toyota cheated slightly and the scale on the speedo isn't completely linear. I've left my images with even spacing between the tick markers as it's more useful for the kind of thing I need the images for but if anyone ends up using these images to create new backgrounds for use on a physical gauges they should be aware that the tick marks are pretty accurately placed above 80mph but below that their positions differ slightly from the original dials. Below about 40 mph Toyota slightly increased the spacings to the point where at the most extreme point my images would effectively over read by a couple of mph compared to the originals at around 20ish if used on a physical speedo.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

jimi wrote:I think he was being facetious :wink:

:clap: :clap:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

boondougal wrote:
jimi wrote:I think he was being facetious :wink:

:clap: :clap:

I misunderstood your meaning then :?

I'm just a simple straightforward Yorkshireman :)
Peter

1989 MR2 Mk1 NA T-bar
1998 Ssangyong Korando GLS
2011 Honda Civic Type R
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

elbon50 wrote:

I'm just a simple straightforward Yorkshireman :)

A yorkshireman you may be, simple might be more debatable! Your posts turn out to be some of the most complicated i have come across!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Only joking.. At least your driving your car... mines still in the garage and not getting any close to completion so that definitely gives you the advantage!

Anyway better not hijack Pauls thread.. although its good to give anyone reading it a break from the boredom of being impressed with Pauls work!

Paul, if you factored in the true cost of the work you have done do you think this is the most expensive Mk1 Ever?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

[quote="boondougal
Paul, if you factored in the true cost of the work you have done do you think this is the most expensive Mk1 Ever?[/quote]

Toni's might be more!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”